New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple Introduces Support Profile

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

This one I think might further help those with issues with Apple products. Not that there should be an issue, but this certainly helps.

Apple launches Support Profile site | Computers | MacUser | Macworld

 MB White Uni l'09 - OS X 10.9
 iPad mini - iOS 7.1
 5th gen iPod touch - iOS 7.1
 Mm e'09 - OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

DavidHH has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

It appears that the only thing missing is the ability to delete from your profile if you no longer have the product.

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHH View Post
It appears that the only thing missing is the ability to delete from your profile if you no longer have the product.

DavidH

Have you tried giving a product a nickname? There's an X in a black circle when you do that.

 iPad mini - iOS 7.1
 Mm e'09 - OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

Thank You
It worked like a charm.
It asks if you want to unregister the product and bang your done.

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

I've got a iPod Touch 2nd Gen and 2 older iPod classics that are not showing up on either of my 2 Apple IDs even though I think that's how it was registered and up until I got Mobile Me was the only Apple ID I had. It would be nice if they would tell you what Apple ID they were registered under, but perhaps blocked the link so you had to manually sign in to unlink them from that ID.

I made the mistake just now of registering my iMac under a different account than my iPhone & iPad. I was able to go unregister it and transfer it to my other account...Neat...Now if they just made it so that you could merge all your outstanding Apple IDs into one.

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Thank You
It worked like a charm.
It asks if you want to unregister the product and bang your done.

DavidH
You can also unregister it by clicking on the product. There's an unregister button on the detail screen.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by class77 View Post
I've got a iPod Touch 2nd Gen and 2 older iPod classics that are not showing up on either of my 2 Apple IDs even though I think that's how it was registered and up until I got Mobile Me was the only Apple ID I had. It would be nice if they would tell you what Apple ID they were registered under, but perhaps blocked the link so you had to manually sign in to unlink them from that ID.

I made the mistake just now of registering my iMac under a different account than my iPhone & iPad. I was able to go unregister it and transfer it to my other account...Neat...Now if they just made it so that you could merge all your outstanding Apple IDs into one.
I don't think merging is necessarily the smartest idea. An Apple ID is meant to be an individual ID.

Secondly, why do you have two ID's? You should only need one.

 iPad mini - iOS 7.1
 Mm e'09 - OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
I don't think merging is necessarily the smartest idea. An Apple ID is meant to be an individual ID.

Secondly, why do you have two ID's? You should only need one.
I have 2 because Mobile Me messed up and Apple support made me create the second one. For some reason, at that time, Mobile Me would not accept my primary Apple account. Trust me, I didn't want to but I had no choice. It was 3 in the morning, I had been on the phone with them for 5 hours with 4 different advisors and they had sent my reset key against my wishes to some lady who I didn't even know. I had to get my Mobile Me up and running PRONTO

FWIW one of the customer support supervisors told me he had FIVE and he wished that he could merge his 5.

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by class77 View Post
I have 2 because Mobile Me messed up and Apple support made me create the second one. For some reason, at that time, Mobile Me would not accept my primary Apple account. Trust me, I didn't want to but I had no choice. It was 3 in the morning, I had been on the phone with them for 5 hours with 4 different advisors and they had sent my reset key against my wishes to some lady who I didn't even know. I had to get my Mobile Me up and running PRONTO

FWIW one of the customer support supervisors told me he had FIVE and he wished that he could merge his 5.
I actually have the same problem. They made me register for a new account even though I already had one...that had lots of use with apple purchases. It gets kind of confusing sometimes. I wish I could just have 1 account. Keeping track of which is which is a BIG PAIN!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I tried to register my imac there and it worked.
I tried to register my Magic Mouse there. And it did not work. I actually purchased the MM separately and put in the MM's serial number but no go sadly. Anyone know why this would happen?
And I just tried my Apple Alu keyboard's serial and that too is not working there.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Won't let me add my 4th gen Nano to it either.

And if they think I'm gonna go digging through receipts from 2 years ago to prove what day it was I bought what is now an out of warranty item just to have all my Apple stuff listed on that page, someone needs to re-think that.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Won't let me add my 4th gen Nano to it either.

And if they think I'm gonna go digging through receipts from 2 years ago to prove what day it was I bought what is now an out of warranty item just to have all my Apple stuff listed on that page, someone needs to re-think that.
It wouldn't let me register an Airport Express either.
Luckily I keep images of all my receipts in Yojimbo and found it easily.
I then had to go thru an Apple process where I submitted a image of my receipt, which they reviewed and then sent me an email 2 days later advising me that they had changed my "receipt date" in their system and I could now register it.

Once I received the email it let me register it.

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Quote:
It wouldn't let me register an Airport Express either.
Luckily I keep images of all my receipts in Yojimbo and found it easily.
I then had to go thru an Apple process where I submitted a image of my receipt, which they reviewed and then sent me an email 2 days later advising me that they had changed my "receipt date" in their system and I could now register it.

Once I received the email it let me register it.

DavidH
Just curious, but what does the purchase date have to due with you not being able to register something? Why do you need to provide a copy of your receipt?

What I do know is that you can only have one device registered to one account at a time. I just registered my G5 and G4, both worked when registering, and both were bought used with no original receipt, so I don't think warranty has anything to due with it.

One cool thing about the Support Profile is that it shows all the previous devices registered to your name after returning them...I'm now on my 5th iphone4....which got me thinking, since one device can only be registered to one account at a time, does having all my last devices still on my account mean that someone can't register it on their account(those devices that I have sold, not exchanged at Apple)?

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Because when you add a device, the next screen you have to put in the purchase date. Date doesn't match what Apple has on record, it will not allow you to register it without going through the hassle of sending them a copy of the receipt.

I purchased it at Walmart because I had a giftcard for there.

Tried adding my Time Capsule also. I've had it for 3 1/2 years and bought it at the Apple Store. Can't be added unless I come up with the date that matches theirs. That one I could probably find if I wanted to search through my email for the receipt - that's not a gonna happen just to add it to their list.

Oh, and just to add, the TC is one of those ones that were suppose to die after 18 months.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

{QUOTE}
That one I could probably find if I wanted to search through my email for the receipt - that's not a gonna happen just to add it to their list.

Bobtomay:
As a side note have you tried some of the programs that let you manage bits and pieces of information in including scanned images like receipts e.g. Yojimbo, Evernote and Notes?
It sure makes keeping them organized a breeze.

Maybe it is just me cause I am an "organizational freak".

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Weed Rolling App Attracts 25K Users Overnight | iPhone 5 Leak »