New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Four Mac OS X upgrades in three years... too much?

Thread Closed

trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Or maybe they will never stop with the 10.

who knows we could be at 10.40 someday

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

I've got no problem with calling my next OS "O Sexy".

Amen-Moses
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I believe that 10.4 is coming. I have read that 10.3.3 is in beta.
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

We have gone from 10.2 -> 10.2.1 to 10.2.8, and then 10.3. So we have a lot of room before we even get to OS XI
TylerMoney

Panther is so very much worth it. They still have jaguar at my school, so I've been using that for about 1.5 years...or something like that....it probably wasn't jaguar that whole time.....and then I saw panther, and everything that I didn't like about Jaguar (that I still liked more than windows) was fixed....pretty much...as far as I can think right now..yeah
Andreades

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
i guess im glad that i missed the jaguar upgrade.

what was the name of OS 10.1 by the way
10.1 puma
10.2 jaguar
10.3 panther
10.4 cougar / cheetah / Simha or Simba (lion)
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

in my opinion, compared to the price of Windows, Mac OS upgrades are cheap.
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs2sensen
How do you figure?
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs2sensen
Really? All of the minor releases are free, and the major ones can be had for around $120 if you buy a system builder OEM
zakatov

New Thread > 3-page 1+ year old thread
Ex_PC_Puke

Yet in the PC world it is becoming ages between OS releases -- Long Horn was due out in '04 - then '05 - then '06 - then they said '08 ..... At that point there was a formal rebellion by dell - hp - gateway where they took MSFT to task and beat the **** out of them ---- bottom line is "we sell more PCs after an OS upgrade --- your screwed up release dates are killing our sales" ------------- Long Horn is now locked for late '05 early '06

Feast or famine ---- I believe releases with real "meaningful" updates / enhancements should come every 18 - 24 months - at a fair price
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
How do you figure?
I paid 139 UKP for the family pack, that's 5 licences, for Tiger. As I have 4 Macs that makes sense.

A single user copy of XP-Home is currently selling for 159 UKP (and that is a "web exclusive" price, in-store it's 180!) from PC World.

OEM copies are useless because if you change the mobo it will no longer work, i.e it is a non-transferable OS which stays registered to the first person/machine combo you tell MS about.

Even then the OEM price for XP-Pro is greater than the single user price for Tiger.

Amen-Moses
dan828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amen-Moses
I paid 139 UKP for the family pack, that's 5 licences, for Tiger. As I have 4 Macs that makes sense.

A single user copy of XP-Home is currently selling for 159 UKP (and that is a "web exclusive" price, in-store it's 180!) from PC World.

OEM copies are useless because if you change the mobo it will no longer work, i.e it is a non-transferable OS which stays registered to the first person/machine combo you tell MS about.

Even then the OEM price for XP-Pro is greater than the single user price for Tiger.

Amen-Moses
OEM does not become "useless" if you change motherboards. The system builder XP Pro OEM that you can get, as with the link I gave above, has to be purchased with hardware (a $5 mouse will do), and is cheaper than OSX retail and works just fine with any x86 hardware. XP Home OEM can be had for $69.

You might have to reactivate if you have substantial hardware changes but it doesn't quit working. Reactivation requires nothing more than a 5 minute phone call where you assure the MS representative that you don't have a copy of the OS currently installed on other hardware, but they don't check in any other way. I've done this more than once when upgrading my own home computer or changing hardware at work.

An exception to this are versions included with premade computers (such as a Dell) that can only be loaded on hardware from that company, but will install on other computers from the same company (which you can't complain to much about being an Apple fan, right?)

Edit:

A quick google search found this:

http://www.planetmicro.co.uk/product...ckcode=M000166

XP pro for 89.95 GBP. Still not as cheap as I've seen in the US, but on a par with what you'll pay for OS X. (And yes, I do realize that XP is a couple of years old now)
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

UK prices must be different because in the US a 5-license family pack of OS X is about double the price of an OEM copy of XP Home. I paid around $100USD for XP Home when it came out and I haven't paid anything since then. I only bought it because I wanted it right when it came out and I would have had to wait a couple months before my university's bookstore started selling the $5 student version. Apple's cost for a student version of OS X is $70.

I do like the idea of Apple's family pack though, but it doesn't help me at all being a single user.
dan828

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
UK prices must be different because in the US a 5-license family pack of OS X is about double the price of an OEM copy of XP Home. I paid around $100USD for XP Home when it came out and I haven't paid anything since then. I only bought it because I wanted it right when it came out and I would have had to wait a couple months before my university's bookstore started selling the $5 student version. Apple's cost for a student version of OS X is $70.

I do like the idea of Apple's family pack though, but it doesn't help me at all being a single user.
Yeah, the family pack is a good deal. Apple seems to price their OS for the home user, while MS seems aimed at a business model. You can get various deals from MS but you have to shop around. I don't know anything about UK pricing but I'd be a bit startled if you can't find better prices than that.

If you are a consultant or some such and are looking for a good deal in MS software, they have a deal called the "action pack" where you get multiple licences for much of their software (including 10 for XP pro and 10 for Office 2003, in addition to many of their server offerings) for $300 (199 GBP), which includes quarterly updates ($200 to continue with it after the first year).

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/partner/...ng/actionpack/

Thread Closed

« Mac Pro CPU Upgradeability Confirmed With Processor Swap | Apple Is Now The World’s Most Valuable Brand, Surpassing Coca-Cola !!! »