New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple rumored to release iOS 4.3 with app subscriptions in December

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Apple rumored to release iOS 4.3 with app subscriptions in December
AppleInsider | Apple rumored to release iOS 4.3 with app subscriptions in December
Quote:
On the heels of the release of iOS 4.2, a new rumor claims that Apple is planning to release its next major mobile operating system update -- iOS 4.3 -- in December, with recurring app subscriptions.
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

That soon? Nah.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
In addition to app subscriptions, the software update may also address initial issues with AirPlay.
This has me interested. I'd trade "multi-tasking" and "folders" ANY day for the ability to print from my iPad or iPhone via Wi-Fi. I can't express how disappointed I was to find out it was limited to 11 HP printers ONLY. ...for now.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

The article isn't too clear on what App Subscriptions are…what the heck are they talking about?

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.1
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.1
 Mac mini Server m10 - OS X 10.9.3
 MacBook Uni l09 - OS X 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
The article isn't too clear on what App Subscriptions are…what the heck are they talking about?
Whatever the apps want them to be... Subscription to a car mag, newspaper, etc. with a recurring monthly (weekly?) fee.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

This spp subscription does not have to be a fee based thing. I imagined it as you have a list of your apps. And for all the Apps you are subscribed to, you get a push notification when an update is ready to download. And you'd get the push notification during any app with multitasking.

And yeah the new version could be the next issue of an ipad magazine, a new version of the app, communication from the developer, or something else we have not thought of.
QUOTE Thanks
question

question is on a distinguished road

When the new operating system does come out is it loaded through itunes? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by question View Post
When the new operating system does come out is it loaded through itunes? Thanks
That has been the trend with every update to iOS so far, I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

At first, I didn't think this would be all that great, since there wasn't that great of sucess from the WSJ app.

But the details of the subscription service looked a bit more promising, and the magazine subscriptions would surely be a success. However, I'll still stay with Google News and other free venues for my current news.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

iOS 4.3 rumored for mid-December with in-app subscriptions
iOS 4.3 rumored for mid-December with in-app subscriptions

It seems the app subscriptions are:
Quote:
That update is said to bring a new subscription billing API for in-app purchasing, according to MacStories, enabling app developers to collect recurring charges directly through iTunes for print, video, or other content.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple nabs HP's former 98 acre campus in Cupertino | 43% Of Brits Would Save Computer or Phone Before Pet »