New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Did Microsoft Wipe Apple Off the Map? AP news

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

IChing

By TED BRIDIS
AP Technology Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- As software rivals, Microsoft wants to wipe Apple Computer off the map. With Microsoft's new Web service for satellite photographs, did the world's largest software company find a way to do exactly that?

Internet sleuths discovered that anyone using Microsoft's new "Virtual Earth" Web site for a bird's-eye view of Apple's corporate headquarters saw only a grainy overhead photograph of what appears to be a single, nondescript warehouse and a deserted parking lot - not Apple's sprawling campus, with 11 modern buildings surrounding a plush courtyard.

Microsoft blames an outdated photograph. But Apple's headquarters in Silicon Valley shows up more appropriately for anyone viewing the same location using Google's mapping Web site, which also combines many of the same government-funded satellite and aerial overhead photographs.

Is Microsoft's version of the landscape a fantasy for Bill Gates?
>>>>snip

link: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...07-25-19-46-42

http://hosted.ap.org/photos/W/WX10407252339-big.jpg

In this image provided by the U.S. Geological Survey, the headquarters for Apple Computer in Cupertino, Calif., is seen in this image, date unknown. Internet sleuths discovered that anyone using Microsoft's new "Virtual Earth" Web site for a birds-eye view of Apple's corporate headquarters saw only a grainy overhead photograph of what appears to be a single, nondescript warehouse and deserted parking lot, not Apple's sprawling campus

Of course microsoft said it was a mistake.
QUOTE Thanks
iMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IChing

Microsoft blames an outdated photograph.
I think its just funny how Google Earth has updated pictures...and Microsuck doesnt. Geezzz....can Microsuck get anything right!?!?!

Outdated Photograph!!.......LMAO
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

Sounds like wishful thinking to me... I can't blame them for wanting Apple out of the way, since the very existence of OS X and the Macintosh makes M$ look bad.

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
IChing

Microsoft's new version OS is called VISTA which

stands for:
viruses, infections, spyware, trojans and adware.

I still use a PC
but I can't believe they opened themselves up with such an easy slam
QUOTE Thanks
damontgo

Quote:
Microsoft's new version OS is called VISTA which

stands for:
viruses, infections, spyware, trojans and adware.

I still use a PC
but I can't believe they opened themselves up with such an easy slam

Wow, that is SO great! And SO true!
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

Quote:
By TED BRIDIS
AP Technology Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- As software rivals, Microsoft wants to wipe Apple Computer off the map. With Microsoft's new Web service for satellite photographs, did the world's largest software company find a way to do exactly that?

Internet sleuths discovered that anyone using Microsoft's new "Virtual Earth" Web site for a bird's-eye view of Apple's corporate headquarters saw only a grainy overhead photograph of what appears to be a single, nondescript warehouse and a deserted parking lot - not Apple's sprawling campus, with 11 modern buildings surrounding a plush courtyard.

Microsoft blames an outdated photograph. But Apple's headquarters in Silicon Valley shows up more appropriately for anyone viewing the same location using Google's mapping Web site, which also combines many of the same government-funded satellite and aerial overhead photographs.

Is Microsoft's version of the landscape a fantasy for Bill Gates?
>>>>snip

link: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...07-25-19-46-42

http://hosted.ap.org/photos/W/WX10407252339-big.jpg

In this image provided by the U.S. Geological Survey, the headquarters for Apple Computer in Cupertino, Calif., is seen in this image, date unknown. Internet sleuths discovered that anyone using Microsoft's new "Virtual Earth" Web site for a birds-eye view of Apple's corporate headquarters saw only a grainy overhead photograph of what appears to be a single, nondescript warehouse and deserted parking lot, not Apple's sprawling campus

Of course microsoft said it was a mistake.
The satellite photo is from before the Apple campus was built. Seeing as they buy the map data from other companies this just means that that particular section of the map was older. Also, if you check out lower Manhattan you can see the Word Trade Center buildings. Must be some sort of conspiracy.

Google maps have tons of similar pictures (for example, the 5 year old sub-division my sister lives in appears to be an orchard from the satellite pic).

Another non-story for Mac fanatics to go crazy over. What ever happened to critical thinking?
QUOTE Thanks
IChing

Microsoft stated in the AP story they blamed it on an outdated photo,

Microsoft said this to AP not me, still makes you wonder
and this piece was for humor.
humor

noun
1 the quality of being amusing or comic, esp. as expressed in literature or speech : his tales are full of humor. See note at wit .
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

Quote:
Microsoft stated in the AP story they blamed it on an outdated photo,

Microsoft said this to AP not me, still makes you wonder
and this piece was for humor.
humor

noun
1 the quality of being amusing or comic, esp. as expressed in literature or speech : his tales are full of humor. See note at wit .
Fair enough. But the use of old photos is a matter of course, so as I said, this is a non-story being built up to look like MS was taking a swipe at Apple. And judging from the other sophomoric replies in the thread it seems to just be more gratuitous MS bashing. Frankly, I'm not an MS fan-boy, but this constant need by some in the Mac community to nitpick every little thing about MS is just beyond annoying.
QUOTE Thanks
badmojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMe
I think its just funny how Google Earth has updated pictures...and Microsuck doesnt. Geezzz....can Microsuck get anything right!?!?!

Outdated Photograph!!.......LMAO
My neighborhood does not show up on the Microsoft map either and it's almost 9 years old. It shows up on Google's though.
QUOTE Thanks
IChing

Don't complain about microsoft being outdated, it's not cool
I'm mean their photos
lol
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan828
this constant need by some in the Mac community to nitpick every little thing about MS is just beyond annoying.
Couldn't have put it better!!!!!!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
falltime

Quote:
Fair enough. But the use of old photos is a matter of course, so as I said, this is a non-story being built up to look like MS was taking a swipe at Apple. And judging from the other sophomoric replies in the thread it seems to just be more gratuitous MS bashing. Frankly, I'm not an MS fan-boy, but this constant need by some in the Mac community to nitpick every little thing about MS is just beyond annoying.
Not just annoying, but bad for Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
The satellite photo is from before the Apple campus was built. Seeing as they buy the map data from other companies this just means that that particular section of the map was older. Also, if you check out lower Manhattan you can see the Word Trade Center buildings. Must be some sort of conspiracy.

Google maps have tons of similar pictures (for example, the 5 year old sub-division my sister lives in appears to be an orchard from the satellite pic).

Another non-story for Mac fanatics to go crazy over. What ever happened to critical thinking?
From what I've heard, the Apple HQ is over 15 years old. That's much worse than Google and your sister (5 years) or the WTC (not quite 4 years)

I don't recall anyone saying it was a conspiracy, except as a joke. (Mac users often have a sense of humor. It keeps us sane in the face of people calling us "fanatics" and "crazy.")
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

It was a JOKE. My god. I give up. Some people have no sense of humor. If it was bashing OSX or Macs I bet those same people would all say, hahahaha, That is true. IT WAS A JOKE. Chill please.
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
From what I've heard, the Apple HQ is over 15 years old. That's much worse than Google and your sister (5 years) or the WTC (not quite 4 years)

I don't recall anyone saying it was a conspiracy, except as a joke. (Mac users often have a sense of humor. It keeps us sane in the face of people calling us "fanatics" and "crazy.")
Oh well, whatever. Slashdot puts the date at about 11 years, BTW. And Maybe it started as a light hearted joke, but the subsequent posts were the typical "Micro$$$oft SUX" variety.

Anyways, after a bit of poking around I found out that the MS website has been up far longer than google's anyways (since 1998) and started out as something to showcase the amount of data that could be stored with SQL server. Link via web archive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
If it was bashing OSX or Macs I bet those same people would all say, hahahaha, That is true. IT WAS A JOKE. Chill please.
Not really. For the record, I like Macs and OSX. I own a Mini and an iPod. Both are great.

The only problem with the MS jokes, are that they are constant, unremitting, many times untrue, and a good portion of the time just plain stupid.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ipod video Specs Revealed? | Apple may expand to China »