New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Possibility of OS-X for PC? (Opinion)


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
scooter

 
scooter's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 12, 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 539
scooter has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid

scooter is offline
I was reading "Maximum PC" newest issue and I read the Editor in Chiefs opinion article concerning apple switch to Intel and the x86 architecture

copy of article:
http://www.maximumpc.com/2005/07/apples_x86_inva.html

his take on some things sounding interesting, for instance concerning the G5:
"Apple has finally conceded that the ludicrous thermal profile of the G5 processor is a big problem. In fact, the IBM-produced CPU runs so hot that desktop units actually require water-cooling. Putting a G5 in a laptop is thus out of the question, and so without a switch, Apple laptops would forever be limited to the inferior G4."

and on why OSX will go PC:
"Windows is a mess. Spyware, viruses, and all the problems inherent to a 4-year-old OS have left Joe and Sally Consumer without a reliable home computer. The PC isn’t the problem. Windows is the problem. .......Apple’s current position is just a smoke screen in order to build a software application base and work out kinks in its driver model. After five years of planning, Jobs and company have launched their first assault on Windows. I bet we’ll see a full-on war by the end of 2006."

From a G4 400MHz to an Intel Mac Mini to iMac Core Duo to a Macbook Pro 2.6GHz.............gotta love Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

 
Member Since: Jul 22, 2003
Location: Hamilton College
Posts: 7,003
trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

trpnmonkey41 is offline
I don't think it will happen. I am sure people will figure out how to hack the x86 OS X to work on any PC but it will be tough and Jobs wants people to purchase the MacIntel's that OS X was developed on to run perfectly. I don't think he wants to open the door to hardware compatibilities with people building their own computers

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Abdiel

 
Abdiel's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 18, 2005
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 169
Abdiel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" PowerBook 1.5ghz

Abdiel is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
I don't think it will happen. I am sure people will figure out how to hack the x86 OS X to work on any PC but it will be tough and Jobs wants people to purchase the MacIntel's that OS X was developed on to run perfectly. I don't think he wants to open the door to hardware compatibilities with people building their own computers
I agree, one of the reasons Macs work so well (and I'm always pushing my department to go with them for our sound and video needs) is that our well-intentioned but frequently screwed up IT department can't "save us money" by building Mac clones. It's taken them years to realize that they can't just build a bargain PC to the minimum specs of our video and audio software and expect it to work well.


While the nice "user friendly" gee-whiz features of OSX are cool, they are not be best reason to buy a Mac. If Macs ever loose their reliability and stability then that will be the death knell for Apple...because Windows will steal all the "interface" features just like they originally did with the entire "windows" concept.....look for "Widgets" and "Spotlight" on the next versions of Windows....of course...god help you if you run Widget type programs on a PC....Your spyware filter will probably explode.
QUOTE Thanks
Acill

 
Acill's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 10, 2003
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 199
Acill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2

Acill is offline
Yeah Macs and OS X do so well because the hardware is controlled. If Apple had to support all the billions of hardware options in the average PC things would get ugly fast. Lets hope they dont decide to go that route. Apple is just as much a hardware company as they are a software one.
QUOTE Thanks
scooter

 
scooter's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 12, 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 539
scooter has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid

scooter is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdiel
because Windows will steal all the "interface" features just like they originally did with the entire "windows" concept.....look for "Widgets" and "Spotlight" on the next versions of Windows....of course...god help you if you run Widget type programs on a PC....Your spyware filter will probably explode.

i have been using "widget" style thing on my PC for a long time now, they are just not part of Windows but separate programs.

i thought the next version of Longhorn was supposed to have something like "spotlight" already part of it, a better extension/program of the 'find' command.

From a G4 400MHz to an Intel Mac Mini to iMac Core Duo to a Macbook Pro 2.6GHz.............gotta love Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
damontgo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Have you guys seen any of the screenshots for Longhorn? It looks remarkably different from any previous Windows environment, much more sleek, and OSX-ish
QUOTE Thanks
Texasmeat

 
Texasmeat's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 20, 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 277
Texasmeat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5

Texasmeat is offline
I think that most people underestimate the number of highly qualified hackers and their impact on p2p's across the globe. The hacked version of os x will be installed on a regular PC soon enough. Most people are trying to act as though if someone gets os x running on a commodity pc, it will be archaic in nature and not real easy to do. I think once they get their greasy hands on the actual disk image of os x x86, they'll hack it to take away whatever hardware locks apple has put on it, and then put the hacked version onto the torrent sites. Then the number of people with os x will far surpass the number of people with actual apple hardware within a real short period of time.
QUOTE Thanks
Morrigan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Really? Everything I've seen so far looks remarkably similar to XP...

Do you wanna post links to those OSX-like screenshots?
QUOTE Thanks
falltime
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdiel
While the nice "user friendly" gee-whiz features of OSX are cool, they are not be best reason to buy a Mac. If Macs ever loose their reliability and stability then that will be the death knell for Apple...because Windows will steal all the "interface" features just like they originally did with the entire "windows" concept.....look for "Widgets" and "Spotlight" on the next versions of Windows....of course...god help you if you run Widget type programs on a PC....Your spyware filter will probably explode.

Hehehe... Hmmm, you do realize Dashboard and Spotlight type apps existed on the Windows platform long before Tiger was ever released. These weren't innovative new features invented by Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
Abdiel

 
Abdiel's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 18, 2005
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 169
Abdiel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" PowerBook 1.5ghz

Abdiel is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by falltime
Hehehe... Hmmm, you do realize Dashboard and Spotlight type apps existed on the Windows platform long before Tiger was ever released. These weren't innovative new features invented by Apple.
Perhaps there were apps similar to them but explain to me me why I used Windows almost every day for years and years and never knew anything about them?

I've no doubt that the concept of extras that grabbed info from the internet or an actually useful search function actually existed but they certainly weren't build in to Windows and if they had been they would have been more useful as open windows through your security than as actual applications.
QUOTE Thanks
falltime
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdiel
Perhaps there were apps similar to them but explain to me me why I used Windows almost every day for years and years and never knew anything about them?

I've no doubt that the concept of extras that grabbed info from the internet or an actually useful search function actually existed but they certainly weren't build in to Windows and if they had been they would have been more useful as open windows through your security than as actual applications.

I don't know why you never did. I did. And I know personally knew hundreds of people that did as well.

And, I didn't quite get the second paragraph. Try reiterating it.
QUOTE Thanks
Abdiel

 
Abdiel's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 18, 2005
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 169
Abdiel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" PowerBook 1.5ghz

Abdiel is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmeat
I think that most people underestimate the number of highly qualified hackers and their impact on p2p's across the globe. The hacked version of os x will be installed on a regular PC soon enough. Most people are trying to act as though if someone gets os x running on a commodity pc, it will be archaic in nature and not real easy to do. I think once they get their greasy hands on the actual disk image of os x x86, they'll hack it to take away whatever hardware locks apple has put on it, and then put the hacked version onto the torrent sites. Then the number of people with os x will far surpass the number of people with actual apple hardware within a real short period of time.
Possibly hacked...maybe...but running well...I don't believe it. Hacked Mac OS on a non Mac hardware system will not be stable and will cause more problems that it will solve. Nobody that cares about the advatages of Mac will be doing that because it will be one crashing nightmare after another. I also wouldn't underestimate the ability of a hardware lock to keep the hacking to a minimum.
QUOTE Thanks
Abdiel

 
Abdiel's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 18, 2005
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 169
Abdiel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" PowerBook 1.5ghz

Abdiel is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by falltime
I don't know why you never did. I did. And I know personally knew hundreds of people that did as well.

And, I didn't quite get the second paragraph. Try reiterating it.
Oh come on. Are you actually telling me that your average windows user has any widget like apps running on his computer? What....Weatherbug or some of the other "taskbar" apps that are actually just trojan horses for spyware? No way. I know a lot more users who are struggling with system crashes and other security issues than I do ones who have found applications as simple to use and as integrated as widgets.

And as for the second paragraph let me put it as simply as possible:

Windows Search Function Sucks.

Most widget-like apps on Windows XP would be security nightmares and invitations to spyware and viruses.

Simple enough for you?
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

 
Ghostshadow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 21, 2005
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,073
Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

Ghostshadow is offline
longhorn is just dirt , it's baisicly xp with a new theme , and faster image rendering ... nothing else .. it's not going to sell well at all .

also it will be a shame if os x gets on pc , i dont think steve will let it happen , but if it does it will be the downfall of osx because people will start trying to exploit it and then everything would be like it is in a windows enviorment ...

here a couple screen from 5048 build

they try to make thumbnails out of your images ... but it doesn't do a good job haha . ..
Attached Images
File Type: png shot8 copy.png (438.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: png shot2 copy.png (448.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: png shot4 copy.png (376.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: png shot18 copy.png (553.1 KB, 29 views)

QUOTE Thanks
section31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmeat
I think that most people underestimate the number of highly qualified hackers and their impact on p2p's across the globe. The hacked version of os x will be installed on a regular PC soon enough. Most people are trying to act as though if someone gets os x running on a commodity pc, it will be archaic in nature and not real easy to do. I think once they get their greasy hands on the actual disk image of os x x86, they'll hack it to take away whatever hardware locks apple has put on it, and then put the hacked version onto the torrent sites. Then the number of people with os x will far surpass the number of people with actual apple hardware within a real short period of time.
This will most likely be the case. My opinion is that OS X will be hacked quickly so that it can be installed on any x86 system. This will show the interest of consumers who would like to run legitimate copies of the OS on PCs and I believe that in turn Apple will soon offer a PC version of OSX.

Clearly Apple doesn't have a problem creating an application that can run on the PC platform and they certainly have found out how lucrative it can be to open up the Apple door to PC consumers. When the iPod first came out, many Mac supporters couldn't fathom that Apple would ever support a PC version or even more so create a windows version of iTunes. Take a look at the landscape today (or Yahoo! finance ticker AAPL) and you'll clearly see the impact that the PC market can have. I believe that this is all part of Apple's attempt to chisle away at the marketshare that Microsoft has.

My 2 cents.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Apple making waves in the business world | The Official: What do you want to see Apple do in 2004 Thread »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Your opinion of "reconditioned" DVD Guy Switcher Hangout 2 03-08-2005 11:32 AM
Opinion needed Midian Switcher Hangout 8 02-01-2005 06:34 PM
about to switch...need your opinion brkpsu Switcher Hangout 3 12-30-2004 11:24 PM
Yellow Dog Linux Opinion anarkhy 17 Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 2 07-16-2004 02:07 PM
Opinion about sick iMac atom Apple Desktops 3 05-05-2004 04:31 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?