New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

iPad iOS 4.2 beta changes screen lock to a mute switch

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

iPad iOS 4.2 beta changes screen lock to a mute switch
iPad iOS 4.2 beta changes screen lock to a mute switch | MacNN
iPad's Orientation Lock Switch Becomes Mute Switch With iOS 4.2 - Mac Rumors
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Doesn't the iPad already have a hardware-based orientation lock?

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.4
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB3
QUOTE Thanks
VonStoven

VonStoven is on a distinguished road

Chris, either you didn't read properly, or you misunderstood. The iPad has a hardware-based orientation lock NOW, but this whole article was about how that switch is no longer going to be used as an orientation lock. That is now a mute switch, and orientation lock is now software only.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I'm wary as to whether the software orientation lock will work similar to how the hardware lock works. On the iPhone, it only locks into portrait mode, not landscape. I hope the iPad's version of the software lock will allow it to lock both in portrait and landscape modes.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
VonStoven

VonStoven is on a distinguished road

With holding down the volume rocker also muting the system as it does currently, and the multitasking menu containing the orientation lock it seems I may end up never using the switch at all. I do however wish that the switch could be used to disable touch input while keeping the screen on.

(I wrote this in a longer and better phrased paragraph previously before accidentally clicking a link on my currently non-multitasking iPad. The device does have it's flaws it seems, haha)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Airprint News | iPhone's long-term future bleak »