New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple Store update suggests 27-inch Cinema Display coming soon

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Apple Store update suggests 27-inch Cinema Display coming soon
AppleInsider | Apple Store update suggests 27-inch Cinema Display coming soon
Quote:
The online Apple Store now displays details of the new 27-inch Cinema Display on its Configure your Mac page, a sign that the display may be close to shipping.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Now on sale.
Apple LED Cinema Display (27" flat panel) - Apple Store (U.S.)
$999 in the US.
$1299 in Australia.

And it would seem the 24 and 27 inch displays are discontinued.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Wow that's quite the price drop...>_>"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That is a good price drop, but why is it $300 more in Australia? Sounds like someone at Apple Australia is inflating the price.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
That is a good price drop, but why is it $300 more in Australia? Sounds like someone at Apple Australia is inflating the price.
Well he has been ripping us of for like ...... ever then No matter what product it is we have always had inflated prices, EVEN when our $ has been so strong against the US $ .... When we where at our stongest nearly 94c to your $ when the iPad came out, everyone was waiting in anticipation to see what price they would put on it, and they didnt disappointed with the HUGE inflated prices .. WE CANT WIN

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Well he has been ripping us of for like ...... ever then No matter what product it is we have always had inflated prices, EVEN when our $ has been so strong against the US $ .... When we where at our stongest nearly 94c to your $ when the iPad came out, everyone was waiting in anticipation to see what price they would put on it, and they didnt disappointed with the HUGE inflated prices .. WE CANT WIN
Do not complain about the Australian ipad prices. We had the cheapest prices in the world (if you take into account taxes and average exchange rates) of the ipad after the US. If you want to see horrible prices try buying an ipad in the UK or Germany. Their prices are insanely high. I even made a whole topic a while back about this.

But one thing that always gets me About the Aussie prices is this:

All Apple products are made in China. And China is closer to Australia then the US. So less shipping costs. So the price makes no sense to me. Maybe it an insurance against the fluctuating currency exchange rates. So no matter how low the various currencies go compared to the US$, Apple always gets it set profit margin in the overseas markets.

Well that's my rationalisation for the high overseas prices Apple are charging.

And wow I used a lot of big words there.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I am probably what most people would call a "fan boy". In general if you stick the Apple logo on it I will at least give it a look (and probably start to drool) but even I have my limits. So this is my question:

I am looking at repurposing a macmini (currently heart of Home Theater System) so I need to pick up a good quality monitor to use for surfing the web and photography (reviewing and editing images).

Why should I choose the Apple 27in Display over something like the ViewSonic’s VX2739WM 27-Inch 1920x1080 Full HD Monitor (available through Amazon for $349 USD)?

What do I gain/lose of significance for the $650 price difference? This is not meant as a pot shot at the Apple monitor, just trying to see if I am overlooking something in the cost/benefit equation.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
What do I gain/lose of significance for the $650 price difference? This is not meant as a pot shot at the Apple monitor, just trying to see if I am overlooking something in the cost/benefit equation.
Apple flat panel displays are almost always of the highest quality...so you will be getting a really nice looking display. To get this high quality Apple usually uses "IPS" panels for it's displays. IPS panels are best for image quality, color accuracy and viewing angles...but on the down side...IPS panels usually have slower response times which can make video images more blurry during action scenes in games or action movies.

Most "regulars" here on Mac-Forums are well aware that Apple charges too much for ram upgrades...the same goes for Apple monitors! If someone gave me an Apple display...I certainly would take it & use it...but I would probably never buy one (at least not brand new)...because of the really high price. If I were a person who worked in the video, photography, or graphics industries...and I needed really accurate color reproduction...than an Apple monitor would probably be a good idea & worth the price.

For the "average" computer user...a nice Dell, HP, or "no name brand" 24" monitor for under $200-$250 bucks is a great choice.

Just my humble opinions of course,

- Nick

p.s. FYI...the resolution of the Apple 27" monitor is 2560 by 1440 versus the 1920 x 1080 of the Viewsonic monitor you mentioned.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Thanks, Nick.

I had pretty much arrived at the same conclusion, but wanted to make certain I wasn't overlooking something that would justify (to me) the additional cost.

Higher resoloution on my pictures would be nice, but since it is highly unlikely that anyone is ever going to pay me for them I will forgo the investment.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
steventz

steventz is on a distinguished road

Currently on 24" so 27" wouldn't be that much of a jump. But display quality is usually very high i'll check it out if I happen to see it in a store.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by steventz View Post
Currently on 24" so 27" wouldn't be that much of a jump. But display quality is usually very high i'll check it out if I happen to see it in a store.
Display resolution on a typical 24" display is 1920 x 1080. You'll even find larger computer displays (25", 26", etc.)...and they will still be 1920 x 1080. So larger diagonal size does not always mean a bigger resolution.

The Apple 27" display is one of the few display's that actually "kicks up" the resolution from 1920 x 1080 to 2560 x 1440.

This is actually a pretty big jump...2560 x 1440 is slightly more than a 33% increase in screen resolution from 1920 x 1080. The diagonal screen size going from 24" to 27" for the Apple display is really not the key measure (although it is important)...it's the screen resolution (2560 x 1440).

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Excellent review on the new display.

Apple 27-inch LED Cinema Display Review - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
QUOTE Thanks
B0yB0y

B0yB0y is an unknown at this point

I don't see why Apple needs to make a 27" display. There is already a 30" display although it is nice to have a monitor that is like the current iMac monitors.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0yB0y View Post
I don't see why Apple needs to make a 27" display. There is already a 30" display although it is nice to have a monitor that is like the current iMac monitors.
The Apple 30" display was discontinued July, 2010. The 27" Apple display is now the largest monitor Apple sells.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Official iPad Design Surfaces with only a Single Front Side Camera | Analysts say new lighter iPad will include camera and mini-USB port »