New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Speed of Apple Intel dev systems impress developers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

The speed of Mac OS X running on Intel hardware is impressing some developers who've been privy to one of Apple's first Intel-based developer transition systems.

Advertisement
The systems started shipping to Mac OS X developers three weeks ago, each equipped with a 3.6 GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor with 2 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz front-side bus, 1GB of 533MHz DDR2 Dual Channel SDRAM, and an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900.

Developers are renting the $999 hardware from Apple for a period of 18 months in order to get a head start in porting their applications to run on the Intel version of Mac OS X.

"It's fast," said one developer source of Mac OS X running on Intel's Pentium processors. "Faster than [Mac OS X] on my Dual 2GHz Power Mac G5." In addition to booting Windows XP at blazing speeds, the included version of Mac OS X for Intel takes "as little as 10 seconds" to boot to the Desktop from when the Apple logo first displays on screen.

Included with the Mac OS X for Intel distribution is an Applications folder stocked with a mixture of PowerPC and Intel-native applications. Applications that are compiled only for PowerPC processors are of filetype "Application (PowerPC)" whereas Intel-native binaries are labeled of standard type "Application".

Developers sources say the early version of Rosetta, a dynamic binary translator that is designed to run unaltered PowerPC applications on Intel Macs, is also impressive. "Rosetta is completely 100 percent seamless and nothing like the Classic environment used to run older Mac OS 8 and 9 applications under Mac OS X," one source told AppleInsider.

"With the exception of the "PowerPC" denotation and the presence of "Open in Rosetta" checkbox in the application info boxes, you can't tell which applications are universal and which are PowerPC-only unless you examine package contents," the source explained.

Since the developer version of Mac OS X for Intel offers users the option of running any application under Rosetta, developers have been able to perform rudimentary speed comparisons between native Intel Mac applications and those that must first filter through the Rosetta binary translator.

"Taking a universal binary and timing its startup in Intel native speed versus its startup when opened via Rosetta results in a slowdown, but not as much as one would think," said another source. "The apps run at about 65 to 70 percent of their normal speed."

However, some PowerPC-native applications realize little to no speed reductions while running under Rosetta. A source told AppleInsider the current PowerPC version of the popular Firefox web browser loads just as fast under Mac OS X Intel as it does on a high-end dual processor Power Mac G5.

If reports are accurate, Mac users have a lot to look forward to in regards to web browsing under Mac OS X for Intel. According to sources, web browsing in general is much faster under Mac OS X for Intel than it is under the shipping version of Mac OS X for PowerPC. Web pages snap to the screen, the same way they do in Internet Explorer running on a new Pentium system, they say.

The first Mac systems to sport Intel processors are expected to hit the market around the middle of next year according to statements made by Apple, though recent mumblings indicate that the company may be striving to beat those estimates by several months.
QUOTE Thanks
macEfan

macEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9

Sounds good, but i wish the FSB was a little faster(more like 1.25 ghz)

Report offensive posts
Don't forget to use the rep system!
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by macEfan
Sounds good, but i wish the FSB was a little faster(more like 1.25 ghz)
Give them time.... These are just the developer system specs. I'm sure we have much to look forward to when they start cranking the real production models out.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
iNAP

iNAP has a spectacular aura about

"The first Mac systems to sport Intel processors are expected to hit the market around the middle of next year according to statements made by Apple, though recent mumblings indicate that the company may be striving to beat those estimates by several months."
Kind of make you want to be first in line dontit!

www.idadgraphics.com
I started using PS from finding this forum and all the help I have gotten here thru the years is immeasurable
thank you MacForums and all it's members
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

thats good to hear, I wonder what the high end Mactel is going to be like, since dual P4 systems don't exist.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
thats good to hear, I wonder what the high end Mactel is going to be like, since dual P4 systems don't exist.
Before the dual G5s a a Dual G5 system did not exist either Leave it to apple to really leave all the other computer companies behind in what ever they do.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
mmoy

mmoy is an unknown at this point

One big reason for better FF performance is that a lot of the FF Graphics code is integer which favors x86 chips over Power.

I'm a bit surprised when they say that that particular chip is fast. Imagine what you could do with an X2.
QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

My thing is battery life, with Intel coming into the picture, the PB will get up to 6 hours .. I have Toshiba 2.4 GHz M, it gets over 5:45 , it sits there collecting dust.. The funny thing is if I do a speed test, the pc wins.. But the PB opens programs faster and I can surf faster, plus it just has that nice feel the pc doesn't have.. I'm a PB person, have a pc desktop, but love the freedom of the PB, nothing like sitting in the yard surfing and listening to iTunes.
QUOTE Thanks
math

math is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Black Core2Duo 2.0ghz, 1gb RAM, 120gb HDD, Tiger

erm... dual P4 systems do exist... the xeon P4s...
QUOTE Thanks
mmoy

As far as I know, Apple is using Pentium M chips so it's
odd to be quoting P4 results but that's probably all that
they have available right now.

There are dual-core Pentium Ds that are shipping right now from Dell and HP.

Of course if you really want x86 horsepower, you'd go
with Opterons Dual-Core chips.
QUOTE Thanks
JimmyEatWorms

It would make more sense for them to use P4's in the PowerMac range and PentiumM's in the iMac, Mini, Pwerbood and iBook machines...i'd have thought.
QUOTE Thanks
mmoy

The P4 is a dead end.
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

CONS:
1.) I wasn't all that impressed by a 10 second boot to the desktop from when the apple logo first appears. My computer does that already.

2.) 800Mhz FSB would be a step backward for anyone with a 2 Ghz G5 or better. Sure, proc speeds would be faster, but slower bus speeds *might* slow down peripheral parts of the system.

PROS:
1.) Faster web browsing sounds cool- I am happy with the speed of Safari, but if the mactels are faster, I won't complain!

2.) Better portability and a good emulator should keep Power PC users like me in the loop for years. Good for Apple.

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
kori42

Does anyone know if OS9 programs will run in the new intel macs?
QUOTE Thanks
lil

The answer is no.

Unless you can get a full blown emulator fired up, OS X only apps.

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Expo Thread - post news here? | PowerMac Core Duo »