New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

IBM unveils dual-core and low power Power

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mmoy

mmoy is an unknown at this point

http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardwar...id=126&tid=137

PM4RK5 writes "Today at the Power Everywhere Forum in Japan, IBM officially unveiled its rumored dual-core PowerPC line of chips, the 970MP. Code-named Antares, these chips have been rumored to be under development since 2004. It is believed that Apple has been working with prototypes and is likely to use them in forthcoming updates to the PowerMac G5 line. The press release is in Japanese; as of this writing, IBM has not released an English version. Some of the slides from the presentation given by IBM are available. The processors pack some impressive specs, ranging from 1.4 to 2.5 GHz and including 1MB L2 cache per core; the chips also include the ability to power down the extra core when it is not needed. Alongside the 970MP, IBM also announced its low-power 970FX chips, ranging from 1.2 to 1.6 GHz, with power consumption ranging from 13 to 16 Watts, respectively."

--------------------------
Steve Jobs makes an announcement: opps, we were just kidding!
QUOTE Thanks
zap2

PM here we come!!!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Hopefully, just in time. I am looking at getting a PowerMac and a PowerBook.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoy
Alongside the 970MP, IBM also announced its low-power 970FX chips, ranging from 1.2 to 1.6 GHz, with power consumption ranging from 13 to 16 Watts, respectively."
1.6 GHz? In other words, we can now build a G5 PowerBook...only it'll be slower than the current G4 PowerBooks, except when it comes to bus speeds.

And that, in a nutshell, is why Apple is switching to Intel.
QUOTE Thanks
falltime

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
1.6 GHz? In other words, we can now build a G5 PowerBook...only it'll be slower than the current G4 PowerBooks, except when it comes to bus speeds.

And that, in a nutshell, is why Apple is switching to Intel.
I would tend to agree with you, except for on one thing: the G5's FPU performance is markedly better than that of the G4's, so while users wouldn't notice a performance improvement in most day-to-day integer-intensive apps (e-mail, web browsing, office apps, etc) and general OS GUI response, they would notice a signifcant improvment in media production/content creation apps (FCP, DVDSP, Motion, Shake, Flash MX, etc.)

And for that reason alone, I'd probably make the switch (from my 1.67 PB).

However, if we ever REALLY see those bloated dual-core chips Freescale has been "joking" about for the past year, I'd be much more inclined to go with those rather these low-voltage 970FX's .
QUOTE Thanks
macEfan

macEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9

It will probally be about the same for every-day tasks. U should be able to notice the diff when you R encoding video, etc.

Report offensive posts
Don't forget to use the rep system!
QUOTE Thanks
knemonic

does anyone know if this true still, the debuting of a g5 dual core, particullarly since apple is migrating to intel chips? I would think they would have dropped ibm's antares since ibm has not been able to meet demand for their powerpc chips.

Also, does anyone know if intel is designing a chip especially for apple, i ask since i remember when amd was designing their 64 bit chip and intel said they have no plans to go into the 64 bit realm becuase itwas not cost effective and all that jazz. I would like to think that apple would not do away with all that 64 bit developement just becuase ibm could not meet their demand, and intel will most likely not be able to develope a 64 bit chip as good as the power pc.

later
QUOTE Thanks
knemonic

Well, I guess I answered one of my own questions:

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archi...050221comp.htm
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...804013641.html

Doesn't this seem like a "ohh ****" move by intel, kinda of like everyone is doing so we better now?

This still does not answer if the g5 dual core is scrapped for apple's machines...

later
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knemonic
does anyone know if this true still, the debuting of a g5 dual core, particullarly since apple is migrating to intel chips? I would think they would have dropped ibm's antares since ibm has not been able to meet demand for their powerpc chips.

Also, does anyone know if intel is designing a chip especially for apple, i ask since i remember when amd was designing their 64 bit chip and intel said they have no plans to go into the 64 bit realm becuase itwas not cost effective and all that jazz. I would like to think that apple would not do away with all that 64 bit developement just becuase ibm could not meet their demand, and intel will most likely not be able to develope a 64 bit chip as good as the power pc.

later
Intel has said that it won't be developing a separate line of chips for Apple. Intel does have some 64-bit chips on the market, mainly EM64T versions of the Pentium4. (There's also Itanium, which is used mostly in servers, and doesn't seem to be of any interest to Apple.)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sata Dvd-rw In Mactel | mac failure reports/ reliability »