New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple and AT&T hit with class action lawsuit over iPad unlimited data bait and switch

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Apple and AT&T hit with class action lawsuit over iPad unlimited data bait and switch
MacDailyNews - Apple and AT&T hit with class action lawsuit over iPad unlimited data bait and switch
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

That's nothing, just wait for the inevitable class-action over iPhone 4 reception issues.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

In all honesty, this one I disagree with holding Apple liable (unless it can be shown that they were involved in ATT's pricing scheme) - ATT controls their data plan, and unless there is compelling evidence that Apple conspired with ATT to bait and switch the available plans, Apple is technically a victim as well as they probably made the marketing and plan options based upon what ATT offered at the time of release.

I'm not sure of the dates, the article may have been a bit misleading - but it mentioned:
Quote:
On June 9, 2010, a consumer who purchased an Apple iPad with 3G capability and signed up for an AT&T data plan filed a nationwide class action lawsuit against Apple and AT&T for fraud and misrepresentation.
The change in ATTs data plan took effect on June 7th - which means if the user purchased on June 9th, the change was already in place and well known which means the person seems to have been simply trying to take advantage of a change in place that the user probably would have already been aware of.

I'm not saying I agree with the change in terms - honestly, I think ATT really did a negative thing here, especially for the way iPad users were marketed to based upon ATTs offerings at the time the iPad was released and future release plans announced (since if I recall correctly, ATT changed its pricing a month after the iPad 3G was released and several months after the release date was even announced for the 3G version of the iPad).

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
UncleDannie

UncleDannie is on a distinguished road

Well, AT&T decision to drop the unlimited plan directly affected my decision to purchase my iPad. I had ordered a 32GB 3G unit, but since it wouldn't arrive until after June 10, I canceled that order and just purchased a wifi only model.
QUOTE Thanks
wrestleantares

wrestleantares is on a distinguished road

While on the surface it would appear to be an ATT issue and not Apple, the determiner would be how much Apple knew about the change to limited data, when they knew it and if they were in collusion with ATT to tout the Ipad on an Unlimited network.

NOTE: I am not saying Apple is guilty of anything, just that they could be more guilty than is known on the surface.
QUOTE Thanks
Doc750

Doc750 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook5,2, iPad 16 gb, iPhone 3GS 32 gb, Iphone 4

ATT has consistently found every way possible to shaft its subscribers. With sub pare service, and failure to invest in infrastructure to support it's exclusive devices. Apple is well aware of it's practices, yet continues their exclusive agreements with ATT in favor of higher profits, over consumer concerns.

They're both guilty. Good old Steve was the only one on stage bragging about the unlimited data plan. Where is he now that ATT decides to pull the bait and switch?
QUOTE Thanks
KSon09

KSon09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac C2D, iMac G3, iMac G5, eMac, Powerbook G4, iPod Touch, iPod Nano and iPhone 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc750 View Post
ATT has consistently found every way possible to shaft its subscribers.
This times ELEVENTY billion. AT and T have always sucked. I had them while still living in the United States. I had nothing but problems with my service.

I wish Apple would go with another carrier!

I love my
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDannie View Post
Well, AT&T decision to drop the unlimited plan directly affected my decision to purchase my iPad. I had ordered a 32GB 3G unit, but since it wouldn't arrive until after June 10, I canceled that order and just purchased a wifi only model.
That's a shame. It's long been announced that AT&T would honor the old unlimited plan if the iPad had been ordered prior to the start date of the new plan. In fact. I got an email from Apple the other day reminding me that I have until July 15th (or so?) to activate my plan and lock in for the unlimited rate.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
ATT has consistently found every way possible to shaft its subscribers. With sub pare service, and failure to invest in infrastructure to support it's exclusive devices. Apple is well aware of it's practices, yet continues their exclusive agreements with ATT in favor of higher profits, over consumer concerns.

They're both guilty. Good old Steve was the only one on stage bragging about the unlimited data plan. Where is he now that ATT decides to pull the bait and switch?
That's funny. Not only have I gotten stellar service with AT&T where I live, but they have recently notified numerous people around the country who use the "Mark the Spot" app that based on their input, service improvements are being rolled out to address the areas they reported on. They've also announced nearing completion of upgrades in other problem areas, NYC in particular. My own area got upgraded last year to 3G service, and they are continuing to roll it out across the country. They also just bought out extra towers that Verizon was forced to sell by the FCC as a condition of their buyout of Alltel. Unless they did so just to throw away money, I would expect them to be used to further improve service and coverage. So yeah... AT&T is investing in their infrastructure. None of it will or can happen overnight due to limited manpower (well do you really think there are legions of engineers just sitting around waiting to get to it?), regulatory issues (they can't just plant a new tower anywhere they please as they please), and much more. But happening it is.

As for dropping unlimited plans... my understanding is that they are still available for business customers who really NEED them. I'll grant that they are being a bit stingy though... 15 bucks for 200 megs is really lousy, and maybe they should offer an unlimited plan for bandwidth hogs, but make it a lot pricier. And yah, they really did drag their feet on iPhone tethering, and coupling that with a charge that adds NO extra data usage is really lame. But anywho... it's only a matter of time before Verizon follows suit. Already, Sprint and T-Mobile have a 5GB cap, at which point they severely throttle your speeds.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
You could almost replace AT&T with Verizon in that sentence and it's just about as accurate. Welcome to the Bell System corporate philosophy.

Sprint isn't much better honestly.

Quote:
It's obvious he hates us.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Foxconn to shift some of Apple assembly | Apple Looking at More Corporate Acquisitions, Prepping Move Into Television? »