New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Mac OS X 10.6.4 missing Flash 10.1, says Adobe

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Mac OS X 10.6.4 missing Flash 10.1, says Adobe
Mac OS X 10.6.4 missing Flash 10.1, says Adobe | MacNN
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 Mac mini - 10.10.1

LOL. Reading one of the comments on that page, I couldn't agree more. Though, there are two sides to this argument though.

Quote:
So now it's Apple's fault for not protecting their users against flaws that Adobe introduced into their own software?

To Mr. Adobe: your software has security holes in it, as you've admitted. It is your responsibility and your responsibility alone to get the fixes into the hands of your users. Was it even brought to the attention of Apple that they should be including Flash 10.1 in their most recent OS update, or did you just kick back and see whether or not Apple would include it, then turn around and lambast them after the fact?

Read more: Mac OS X 10.6.4 missing Flash 10.1, says Adobe | MacNN

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.10.1
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10.1
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

I wish Adobe would roll over and die.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Let's not get carried away. Adobe may have their problems but they're still a great software publishing company who in the past has wholeheartedly supported Apple when there not very many who did. Or have you forgotten that Apple almost went out of existence?

Adobe will come around. Right now they're acting like a little kid who's been told he/she "can't" do something.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
vxd

vxd can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONE View Post
I wish Adobe would roll over and die.
Haha, I just don't know where all this hatred against Adobe is coming from. I guess it's another fanboy in the making.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I like Adobe's products generally, but Flash Player for the Mac has been complete garbage its entire existence. That's why people don't like Adobe in general on the Mac.

I love all their other stuff.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Let's not get carried away. Adobe may have their problems but they're still a great software publishing company who in the past has wholeheartedly supported Apple when there not very many who did.
Well said. As much as I don't like Flash, I respect Adobe for many other things. Outside of Flash, I frequently hear nothing but good things about their design and development tools. While I don't use any of their tools on a regular basis, I've been impressed with them when I have.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Agreed with the above. Photoshop is very bloated. Way to many GBs for what it does. And uses up way to much of my system resources to get the job done. But in saying that it does the job very well. I quite like the software.

Flash on the other hand. Now that is a spawn of the devil. Killing it is not enough. We need the mind erasers Will Smith had in Men In Black. So we can totally forget that garbage ever existed.
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Let's not get carried away. Adobe may have their problems but they're still a great software publishing company who in the past has wholeheartedly supported Apple when there not very many who did. Or have you forgotten that Apple almost went out of existence?

Adobe will come around. Right now they're acting like a little kid who's been told he/she "can't" do something.

Regards.
I forgot Adobe made other programs (I haven't used/needed to use Photoshop in years as all my photo editing can be done in Aperture).

I'll rephrase: I wish Flash would roll over and die.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Oh wait... Stop the presses. We can't release 10.6.4 this week. Adobe fixed more issues with Flash and put it out 3 days ago. We need to hold off releasing 10.6.4 another week so we can put in their update and test it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I agree with most Photoshop is probably one of the best at what they do and Flash needs
to be fixed or buried.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I will say though that Flash 10.1 DID make You Tube videos on my iMac G5 iSight 30%+ better. No more pegged CPU and no more jerky videos.

I still feel Adobe has a ways to go making Flash better, but I really appreciate the improvement I am seeing here.

Most of their other software is First Rate though.
QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

When Steve Jobs said no flash on iPhone and iPad Adobe came out with Gala flash, it's not bad. Can watch ABC news 25% spike or less, so you know they can even improve on that. Once in awhile you run into a flash video on youtube, 25 % or less. My laptop runs cooler that's for sure.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I'd like to know what the difference in terms of CPU usage is between a machine that has hardware accelerated flash and those that don't. I notice a difference but it's not huge here (not hardware accelerated here).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Van, all I can say is on the Power PC G5 (Discrete Video but nothing special) it was 100% CPU PEGGED on every You Tube video making them jerk, pause, skip frames, now it's 70% or less and quite smooth.

The Intel Mini is more equal to your system but it never jerked or did any of that there. I would have to install the older Flash and get a CPU reading then the new and compare. Might do that later.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hedge fund predicts Apple stock price to fall to $42 as soon as Fall 2010 | Mobile app downloads seen declining by 2013 »