New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Microsoft reveals Office for Mac 2011 will be 32-bit only

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Microsoft reveals Office for Mac 2011 will be 32-bit only
AppleInsider | Microsoft reveals Office for Mac 2011 will be 32-bit only
Quote:
Set for release this fall, Microsoft's forthcoming Office for Mac 2011 will only be available as a 32-bit product because it hasn't completely transitioned to Cocoa for Mac OS X.
One word Lazy. Microsoft haver had long enough to learn how to code in Cocoa and get products into 64-bit. Seriously I can see 2011 being a big year for 64-bit on OS X. And a lot of the apps being native and taking full advantage of 64-bit. Sure most people won't know the difference. But it just means Office 2011 will be behind the 8 ball to begin with. Not a good start for the application.
QUOTE Thanks
NumberSix

NumberSix is on a distinguished road

Excuse my ignorance, but if you say "Sure most people won't know the difference", then what's the big deal?

What's the difference between a 32bit and a 64bit app?
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but if you say "Sure most people won't know the difference", then what's the big deal?
The big deal is the few people who will notice usually work for large companies or are major software developers or media publishers. And these few people spend up very big with their software purchases for themselves or on behalf of the company they work for. And if they go "no 64-bit? I won't buy" then that is a lot of revenue dollars MS would not have gotten.

And to answer your other question:
A 64-bit App is designed to run on a 64-bit OS. And some links can help explain what a 64-bit OS is.

The Lifehacker Guide to 64-bit vs. 32-bit Operating Systems
Understanding the Difference between 64-bit and 32-bit Systems.

A google search wil get you more info.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Not to mention the fact that a 32 bit app will not utilize all the memory that is available to the OS as would a 64 bit one. Not sure how much memory Office 2008 uses (I guess I could check easy enough) but I know it uses more than iWork and is slower.

BTW, Office 2010 for Windows (selling right now) is 64 bit. So we can see where MS placed its priority.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
NumberSix

NumberSix is on a distinguished road

Well in the very first article posted, MS is saying that the 32bit version is selling more than the 64bit version

Anyway, i wasn't saying "what's the big deal" in the sense of "who cares" but really wondering if that was a problem

From what I've read in all these articles, it really won't make that much of a difference. The only place it would make a difference would be on very large databases.

I can see where this would be a problem for media files (very large image/video/audio files), but not so much for the average Word or Excel document
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Not sure it is much of an issue.

You are doing something seriously wrong if you are doing a PowerPoint presentation that needs more than 4 gig of RAM.

Remember, that even in 32 bit OSX each app can grab up to 4 gig of memory

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Steelgrave

Steelgrave is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP, MBA, MacMini

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
The big deal is the few people who will notice usually work for large companies or are major software developers or media publishers. And these few people spend up very big with their software purchases for themselves or on behalf of the company they work for. And if they go "no 64-bit? I won't buy" then that is a lot of revenue dollars MS would not have gotten.
The big deal is a "few" people... lol

Large companies all have volume licensing and enterprise agreements. It's paid for whether the 3 Mac guys use it or not.

Not to mention the idea of needing 64 bit for a word document or excel spreadsheet is completely ridiculous. If your word doc sucks down more than 3.25GB of ram, you need to re-evaluate what you're doing to start with.

13" MacBook Pro (4GB, 2.53GHz)
MacBook Air
Mac Mini Server
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Compatibility and features are far more of an issue with Office than memory limits. If Microsoft addresses those as it has promised to do, then it'll have a winner on its hands.

Besides, even Keynote and Pages are still 32-bit apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
You are doing something seriously wrong if you are doing a PowerPoint presentation that needs more than 4 gig of RAM.
Very true. I find it hard to imagine the kind of Office documents that would require that kind of memory.

Given how slow the current Office runs even with small documents, I imagine the layout and display code would seize up long before any file hit the RAM limit.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adobe releases Flash Player 10.1 for Mac | Likelihood of a 4 Generation iPod Touch coming up??? »