New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Report: So far the new intel macs are slow

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MadSkillzMan

MadSkillzMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual G5 powermac

http://www.betanews.com/article/Repo...wer/1118249457

Of corse theyre slow because

1. its early stages of development
2. its intel lol

They mainly pick on the Rosetta Stone, well duh! of corse its going to be slow.

new vid 8/8/05
QUOTE Thanks
embries

I see one problem with the analysis. Nowhere on the scores was it stressed that they were comparing a dual 64bit processor to a single 32bit processor. All in all a good read but not very informative.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Interesting read.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by embries
I see one problem with the analysis. Nowhere on the scores was it stressed that they were comparing a dual 64bit processor to a single 32bit processor. All in all a good read but not very informative.
When they release the mac with intels in them wont' they be 64 bit?

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Colin Barnhorst

By next year the Itels should be dual-core 64-bit chips up and down the line at the consumer level.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of

this is good news, but is tiger made for the 64 bit chip in x86 format?

My Website
Blog
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSkillzMan

2. its intel lol

Emulation (Rosetta) is always slow. VirtualPC is an extreme example (emulating x86 on PowerPC.)

When the first PowerPC Macs shipped, they used an emulator to run 680x0 software. (Which was 90+% of software at the beginning.) In many cases, something like a Quadra 700 (a two-year-old machine by then) would match the fancy new Power Macs running 680x0 software. Only when native software became available did the advantage manifest itself.

If you have a large library of PowerPC software, you'll probably be better off buying PowerPC hardware now (or in the next year or so, as the last new PowerPC machines come out.) During the transition, PowerPC Macs will be faster than Intel Macs as often as not.
QUOTE Thanks
falltime

Quote:

2. its intel lol

It's Intel?

Not entirely sure what that means.

The fact that the Intel procs were even able to match and beat the Dual G5 in some tests under Rosetta Emulation w/ PowerPC native binaries doesn't say much for the G5....

I think the article totally missed the point with it's headline "Report: Intel Macs Significantly Slower" - Apple clearly released the results to demonstrate how well the Intel procs are doing in the primitive stages of this transition.

A year is a HUGE amount of time in the PC industry, and by the release of the first x86 Intel-based mac, we'll be seeing significantly different benchmark results.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Hopefully by the time these machines start showing up universal binaries will be available for all your apps so you won't even need Rosetta
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:

Of course theyre slow, its in the early stages of development.

They mainly pick on the Rosetta Stone, well duh! of course its going to be slow.
There....fixed that for ya..... :black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Benchmarks under emulation of any kind are less than useless.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

yeah because the program doing the benchmark is going to be slower because it is being emulated, esspecially a new emulator that just was announced not to long ago.

My Website
Blog
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

The question is why benchmark a non-production system? Weren't those system design for a programming environment, while the production systems are being designed and built. I don't see what this bench mark tell me, except that the developer don't have a fast machine to work with.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
The question is why benchmark a non-production system? Weren't those system design for a programming environment, while the production systems are being designed and built. I don't see what this bench mark tell me, except that the developer don't have a fast machine to work with.
These benchmarks were done on a display model at the show not a delivered developer machine, who knows what is actually inside it!

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
rman

Still a non production machine.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« It's Leaked | Widget issues? »