New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Britons vote Apple iPhone as history’s 8th most important invention

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Britons vote Apple iPhone as history’s 8th most important invention
Britons vote for the iPhone as most important invention ahead of flushing loo and space travel - Telegraph

And if you include the PC at number number 5 (basically the Apple 1) Apple had a hand in making 2 out of the top 10 inventions there. That's pretty amazing if you ask me. Ad in the ipod at 56 and woot for Apple.

iphone = 8 but mobile phone = 21 .

Totally unrelated some Australian inventions are listed there too.
7. Penicillin
47. Wi-Fi
QUOTE Thanks
NumberSix

NumberSix is on a distinguished road

Dear god, I don't have the words to express just how ridiculous I think this is
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

8th? Seriously? How could the iPhone be more important than the combustion engine (10), steam engine (16), the car (19), the train (24), the compass (31) and paper (38)?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Wouldn't even call the iPhone an invention.

To me, that'd be like calling a Ford the invention instead of the car.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MikeIsGood

MikeIsGood will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB

Agreed with the past 3 posts.

"1. Wheel 2. Aeroplane 3. Light bulb 4. Internet 5. PCs 6. Telephone 7. Penicillin 8. iPhone 9. Flushing toilet 10. Combustion engine"

One of these things is not like the other...
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Personally I think the iphone OS is a great invention, as is the total integration of hardware/OS/software that Apple has with the iphone. Sure it took ideas from other things (like most inventions do) but in my mind it deserves to be in the top 10.

Quote:
One of these things is not like the other...
All 10 are unique compare to each other so any one of them can be not like the other. it all depends on how you word it.

Mind you my top 10 would be like this:

1. The art of making fire
2. Wheel
3. The concept of air conditioning
4. Penicillin
5. Internet
5. iphone
6. Apple 1
7. Steel cable
8. Money
9. Flushing toilet
10. Snap (or near-instantly) freezing. (Without which the whole frozen food industry and all the frozen food products you buy at the supermarket would not exist).
QUOTE Thanks
SlickShoes

SlickShoes is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 13.3"

If you read the article they only surveyed 4000 consumers, and it was a supermarkets mobile phone division that done this "national" survey.
4000 out of the population of the UK is a VERY small sample size.
QUOTE Thanks
adamgilchristh

adamgilchristh is on a distinguished road

this is rediculous i dont agree with this poling
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Try looking in the very first post.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Personally I think the iphone OS is a great invention, as is the total integration of hardware/OS/software that Apple has with the iphone. Sure it took ideas from other things (like most inventions do) but in my mind it deserves to be in the top 10.
The iPhone OS is an adaptation of OS X which owes much of its existence to Mach and BSD so if anything, the Mach kernel and BSD deserve the credit.

I find it hard to justify the iPhone as deserving of this list at all. Going back to my first post, the train has proven itself much more important to human history and social/economic development than the iPhone ever will. Seeing as how the train was the basis of economic and social growth in some countries illustrates my point. The iPhone will never be able to do this. Now, this argument is contingent on a definition of invention based on development and progress for the greater good. The train and penicillin are but the iPhone sure isn't. The world would not be what it is today without the train but it wouldn't be very different if the iPhone hadn't existed. Ultimately then, inventions on this list should be ones that changed the face of human history.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
andyboy

andyboy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: imac 21in 2.5 GHz Core i5-ipad Air-iphone 32gb

All statistics and surveys are open to interpretation,i wouldn't think this one is anymore reliable than others.I live in England and haven't heard anything about this survey.
QUOTE Thanks
MikeIsGood

MikeIsGood will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
All 10 are unique compare to each other so any one of them can be not like the other. it all depends on how you word it.
"One of these things is not like the other" is a line from a children's song, which is why I said it. Reworded, I would have said:

One of these things doesn't belong in the top 10.

If that makes things more clear.
QUOTE Thanks
lucky7

lucky7 is on a distinguished road

did i miss Diet Coke? Beer? i'd put those higher on the list. lol.

-27" iMac. Core 2 Duo, 1TB HD, 4GB Ram.
-13" MacBook Pro. Core 2 Duo, 250GB HD, 4GB Ram.
-iPhone 3GS 32GB.
-AirPort Extreme.
QUOTE Thanks
Millionin20s

Millionin20s is on a distinguished road

So why wasn't the iPhone included with mobile phones in general?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

While I don't think the iPhone is that significant, its has certainly redefined the smartphone idea.

That said if you are going to list the most significant human inventions here's my top ten list (in order of history)

1. Control of fire

2. Language

3. Society

4. Metallurgy (bronze, Iron steel etc.)

5. Writing (I will include paper in this one)

6. Coinage (including paper money - our whole system is based on it - even in communist countries)

7. Science (without this all our current technology and progress would never have happened - without the scientific method ideas would never be improved upon)

8. Gunpowder (including firearms - this made the west so powerful that all other civilizations were literally blown away)

9. Computers ( who knows where this invention is going to go. AI, and much more - maybe they will replace us some day - or just be our co-species for the first time since the ice age. Either way, computers are everywhere - at the moment they are as dumb as buckets, but they are the biggest invention we have created so far)

10. The internet. An obvious choice I am sure but take a moment to think. Some young people on here will barely remember a time before the Internet, and now it is a fundamental part of our lives. As well as the freedom to criticize oppressive regimes there is a darker underbelly of the Internet - a price of freedom but worth taking out of any central government control. ( child abuse should still be dealt with by all means by the way). The Internet has opened the world up, and closed regimes are scared.

The Internet will change everything. Its are biggest invention ever. Its open, uncontrolled and democratic. Despots beware, it maybe full of crap, but its also full of information you don't want your people to hear.

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone Leak: Police Seize Gizmodo Computers | Expensive malware appears for Microsoft's Windows Mobile »