New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

A sad story about how Apple hates hard currency

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

A sad story about how Apple hares hard currency
Cash not necessarily always welcome at Apple stores | abc7news.com

Sure Apple's insistance on a credit or debit card ensures 1-2 ipads per person. But what about the lady in the article and others? It screws them over. Surely there must be another way to ensure you can use cash and also ensure they only get 1-2 ipads. Record their drivers licence number in a database or something? I dunno. But maybe Apple is starting the hard currency-less society.

I would not put it past Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
But what about the lady in the article and others? It screws them over.
1. Visit local bank/credit union.
2. Sign forms
3. Deposit cash
4. Wait two weeks
5. Check postal mailbox
6. Open envelope from bank/credit union
7. Sign back of shiny new debit card
8. Take debit card to Apple store
9. Receive shiny new iProduct

Yes, there are a few people who can't get a debit card because they wrote bad checks in the past, but that's their own darned fault.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
Yes, there are a few people who can't get a debit card because they wrote bad checks in the past, but that's their own darned fault.
That's true, but what about the poor souls who had their credit ruined due to identity theft? That almost happened to me last week but fortunately MasterCard flagged the purchases as "suspicious" and called me to verify. Someone somehow got my card info (most-likely from an online purchase). It happens and it can be a REAL problem if you don't catch it right away.
If a person wants to use cash, there's not a darn thing that a retailer can say about it. It is LEGAL TENDER (at least in the U.S.... I don't know about other countries' laws). I don't have a problem with the limit Apple puts on how many iPads a person can purchase, but it's not the consumer's problem. It's up to Apple to find a way to ensure that limit is being enforced.

Yes, I realize there are mall gift cards that you can purchase with cash and use for most purchases (won't work with some online purchases because the balance cannot be verified). But this is still an inconvenience to the consumer and it isn't something they should be forced to do just to purchase something.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

If they really wanted an ipad, why not go cash in towards an apple gift card that is worth the price of the ipad???
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
That's true, but what about the poor souls who had their credit ruined due to identity theft?
ID theft shouldn't prevent you from getting a debit card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
If a person wants to use cash, there's not a darn thing that a retailer can say about it. It is LEGAL TENDER (at least in the U.S....
Not true, as the article mentions.

Legal tender in the US must be accepted "for all debts, public or private." The ordinary sale of goods is not a debt.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

What a joke, What happened to Apple?? I'm really starting to think they are turning into what they never were supposed to become.

What ever happened to their slogan "Think Different" ????????
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

I didn't want to say anything about this because of my feelings towards the new Evil Empire lately, but here's yet another nail for the coffin I'm building. My only excuse left is, and has been: " Love the product (OS X) but HATE the policies/attitude.

Once again Apple is trying to pull the wool over people's eyes. This has got NOTHING to do with a check/balance system in terms of seeing how many iPad's a person has purchased. It's about making [more] money. Did you know that they won't accept Apple gift cards for an iPad ? So, they will make the money off the gift card if someone thinks so, and then make more money on the iPad purchase. And that is a totally despicable move.

And how do I know this is true ? Because guess what... If you buy an Apple product at Best Buy, you can use ANY form of currency you want. Apple's crummy excuses are just so far fetched, and I can't believe people are falling for it. Though, I suppose it's more a case of being blissful in naivete than anything.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
granolaj

granolaj is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's about making [more
money. Did you know that they won't accept Apple gift cards for an iPad ? So, they will make the money off the gift card if someone thinks so, and then make more money on the iPad purchase. And that is a totally despicable move.
Respectfully, I disagree. When the first iPad came out, any form of payment was accepted. Apple only changed its policy when dirtbags started abusing the system. I kid you not, while I was playing with an iPad, I saw a grown man wait in line, buy the maximum number of iPads, leave, put on a different hat, then wait in line again. He did it three times before people noticed.

From what I've gathered, the rule is in place to protect customers (and, of course, Apple). Cash isn't traceable; neither are Apple gift cards. Credit and debit cards are, though that's how Apple sticks to its two-per-customer limit. Do the aforementioned dirtbags find workarounds to this idea? Absolutely. But it's at least well-intentioned, I think.[/QUOTE]
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by granolaj View Post
Respectfully, I disagree. When the first iPad came out, any form of payment was accepted. Apple only changed its policy when dirtbags started abusing the system. I kid you not, while I was playing with an iPad, I saw a grown man wait in line, buy the maximum number of iPads, leave, put on a different hat, then wait in line again. He did it three times before people noticed.

From what I've gathered, the rule is in place to protect customers (and, of course, Apple). Cash isn't traceable; neither are Apple gift cards. Credit and debit cards are, though that's how Apple sticks to its two-per-customer limit. Do the aforementioned dirtbags find workarounds to this idea? Absolutely. But it's at least well-intentioned, I think.
[/QUOTE]

Dirtbags? In America we call it capitalism. If someone wants to buy 20 iPads and sell them to the highest bidder so be it. But come on man you sound like your really drinking that Apple Kool-Aide.

You call them Dirtbags because they found a way to make some extra cash?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
What a joke, What happened to Apple?? I'm really starting to think they are turning into what they never were supposed to become.

What ever happened to their slogan "Think Different" ????????
What does that even have to do with this?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
It's about making [more] money.
Since credit cards are an expensive way to process payments, I'm pretty sure that's not the reason.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Quote:
What does that even have to do with this?
It was the mentality Apple was different. Now it's all about control.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Quote:
Since credit cards are an expensive way to process payments, I'm pretty sure that's not the reason.
ding ding ding, Maybe it's about control???
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
ID theft shouldn't prevent you from getting a debit card.
You missed my point. First of all, I was talking about credit cards. And if a person doesn't want to open a checking account or doesn't want to use his/her debit card, that's up to him/her. My parents, for one, are strictly cash users. They pull a specific amount of cash from the bank EVERY week that they plan on using that week and if the rare occasion arises that they need more, they withdraw more CASH.

Quote:
Not true, as the article mentions.

Legal tender in the US must be accepted "for all debts, public or private." The ordinary sale of goods is not a debt.
You are correct. Legal tender laws apply to debts, not purchases.
But I have NEVER seen a store or vendor or gas station, etc. that did not gladly accept cold hard cash.

It's just a very stupid thing for Apple to do and I'm VERY disappointed in them.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
If they really wanted an ipad, why not go cash in towards an apple gift card that is worth the price of the ipad???
The articles says you can not even buy an ipad with an Apple gift card. You needed a credit or debit card. A nice idea but too bad Apple does not accept it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why iPad owners need a Kindle, too | Fastest Notebook Video Card »