New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

New Intel CPU's & Games

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dlisle20

will this mean games will run faster on macs and will increase the mac gaming industry? games run so slow on my powerbook, and they run really fast on a P4 with the same graphics card, and also will they brong direct x to mac?
QUOTE Thanks
claudius753

claudius753 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB

I think DirectX is a Microsoft product, so who knows whether they will decide to write it for Mac or not.

Look at IE and WMP for Mac....not very good apps on Mac IMHO, but decent (or at least better) on PC...too bad game makers wouldn't just adopt OpenGL instead and develop that more instead of DirectX.

Nathan Sweeney

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System if someone helps you out!
Come and help save lives by Folding
QUOTE Thanks
lilcrazy707

I think that the P4 will help the Gameing for Mac but lots of game still will only be for PC. I want Valve to put Counter-Strike on Mac cause its so fun to play on a pc.
QUOTE Thanks
mraya

mraya is a jewel in the roughmraya is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB

I don't think the switch will make a difference in games at the beginning because you will be able to use Windows in the new Macs.
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraya
I don't think the switch will make a difference in games at the beginning because you will be able to use Windows in the new Macs.
good point that being said it will probably kill the mac gaming cuz you could just boot up windows and off you go

QUOTE Thanks
Acill

Acill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2

Yup, lots of people are talking that this will just about kill the Mac gamming houses if they dont start releasing Mac games at the same time as the PC version. Why would anyone wait if they can install windows on a partition and boot up to play a new game. I for one woulnt let wondows get any place near a mac I own, but I can see the hardcore gammers doing that.
QUOTE Thanks
iLEFTOVERCRACK

iLEFTOVERCRACK is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb

mac????

games????

nooo

QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

My understanding that the new system, may boot windows. I have not read that it will boot. We would need to see if boot windows first. If that happens gaming would be a problem.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
My understanding that the new system, may boot windows. I have not read that it will boot. We would need to see if boot windows first. If that happens gaming would be a problem.
Yeah... And I'm sure this is something that Apple is looking at closely... Although gaming is a pretty small chunk of their current market, if they really do want OSX tackle the home market I don't see them handing their new Mac machines to Microsoft's XP on a silver platter.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
Maccraft

Does any one know when this switch to P4 will happen because although apple and Pentium have been enemies and I hated Pentium simply because apple seemed to and the were so slow to get a 64-bit CPU. But if this means macs will become more compatible and better with games and other windows programs then I am very excited.
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

If my memory serves me correctly Jobs said the actual products will start hitting the market beginning of 2006 and the transition is supposed to be almost completed by end of 2007.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
lonerider

lonerider will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM

There isn't going to be any inherent advantage of intel vs PowerPC for gaming. The question really isnt about hardware, its about software. Games, and drivers (esp video drivers), have to be optimized to run well on either platform. That is the problem the Mac platform has now - software optimization (not hardware), and that problem won't go away by switching hardware.

I also wouldn't expect to see much in the way of new games for OSX until late 2006, early 2007. Until the transition is complete, no one is going to want to have to release 2 binaries to support different architecture Macs. Yes according to Jobs its easy, but the nitty gritty details of having to debug / troubleshoot 2 platforms for the same OS in a relatively niche market is going to push a lot of developers away.

A lot of Mac developers use CodeWarrior too, and at the moment it doesn't cross-compile. The major game I'm thinking of written with CodeWarrior is World of Warcraft.

-Lonerider
QUOTE Thanks
lonerider

lonerider will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM

Just as a side note about what I'm getting at, from cnet searching laptops with 12" screens and using DDR VRAM video memory tech, sorted by price :

http://reviews.cnet.com/4566-3121_7-...=lowPrice9+asc

The first 5 slots are taken by iBooks (past and present). The 6th is the IBM X32 (with 16MB VRAM) at $1289

After that come the PowerBooks and more IBM X32 series. Finally you get to the Toshiba Portege R100 with 32MB VRAM (using a Trident processor), at over $1700.

I'd be pretty suprised if you guys can find a subnote (12" screen) on the PC side with a GPU that can beat the new iBooks.
QUOTE Thanks
damontgo

I'm not so sure about the switch nixing the Apple game market. For a lot of people, just the thought of having a dual-boot machine would make them quiver, because for a lot of people, that's going to be a troublesome task.
QUOTE Thanks
Redbrick

Redbrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlisle20
will this mean games will run faster on macs and will increase the mac gaming industry? games run so slow on my powerbook, and they run really fast on a P4 with the same graphics card, and also will they brong direct x to mac?
The switch will not make games run faster....game speed is software/hardware dependent..not exclusive. I too hope the switch will help the mac gaming industry....the common denominater being the hardware. Software has always been very agile to adjust. I also doubt directX will be ported to Mac....Bill would not be able to sell too many windoze if he did that. Yeah my powerbook is a dawg when it comes to games as well...but it's such a beautiful machine. Everything is so well designed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Intel, PPC & Apple | Nano Problems??? »