New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Just watched the WWDC keynote video

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ex_PC_Puke

And it really covers all the what - where - and whys of the x86 transition.

So stop it with all the gripin' and moan' and silly questions -- go watch the video ---------- and sit back and enjoy the ride
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I concur, it is definantly worth taking an hour to watch it.

Link: http://stream.apple.akadns.net/
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Theo was great at the Keynote, funny guy. I like that Steve Jobs uses the "Boom!" references during his speeches a lot. The Longhorn jokes were great too.
QUOTE Thanks
Ex_PC_Puke

Bottom line is -- if Apple wants to keep the explosive sales growth - they need a wide range of chips - Intel can do that easily.

And as the Intel CEO indicated - they've seen the light -- gotta have both processing power and power savings.

One of the best keynotes I've seen at any tech show
QUOTE Thanks
BurntSmore

BurntSmore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM

??? Why isn't it playing sound?
QUOTE Thanks
smeshy123

smeshy123 is on a distinguished road

Um...played sound when I watched it...maybe try reloading? Making sure your speakers are on? And yes, I just watched it about an hr ago, and I deffinately agree...he has lots of valid points. I think if they do a good job with the transition that Mac will be much better off in the end.

15.4" Macbook Pro 1.83Ghz 2GB RAM 80GB HD Mac OS x 10.4.4
1.8Ghz P4 1024mb RAM 2x80GB, 1x160GB, 1x250GB HD's Windows XP and SuSe Linux 9
IPOD 6gb Lime Green Mini
QUOTE Thanks
BurntSmore

BurntSmore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't that make the Macs now almost "useless" around 4-5 years from now? If that's true, then I'm kind of disappointed since even old Windows computers can still be compatible with upgrades in the future. Anyway, I still love Apple! :biohazard
QUOTE Thanks
claudius753

claudius753 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB

I was kinda upset about Mac+Intel.

But, let me tell ya...Steve Jobs is one helluva speaker. That video made me feel confident about Apple and its future. They have thought this transition out. Now there is only one question remaining...when can I buy my 20" iMac P4?!?!

Nathan Sweeney

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System if someone helps you out!
Come and help save lives by Folding
QUOTE Thanks
BadjahBoy

BadjahBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudius753
I was kinda upset about Mac+Intel.

But, let me tell ya...Steve Jobs is one helluva speaker. That video made me feel confident about Apple and its future. They have thought this transition out. Now there is only one question remaining...when can I buy my 20" iMac P4?!?!
Im gonna have to agree with that. When I first heard the news about Apple switching to Intel I didn't know what to think. But after watching the stream I see that Apple really has thought this over a lot and it looks as though they've made a pretty good discision that will improve their systems for the future.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I watched the stream also. What is confusing me is this x86. I did not hear Steve say that the new Apple product will be on any of the current Intel chip sets. All I heard that OS X have run on Intel boxes from the beginning of OS X life. Also that the developers box have Intel processor in them.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntSmore
Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't that make the Macs now almost "useless" around 4-5 years from now?

Nope, as long as software developers release universal binaries that can fun on intel or ppc, it'll be fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

I love how they dropped the 'e' on "It's True" to match the Intel logo just before they came up with the answer - that was very very funny :spook:

It'll be interesting going back to the days where you go to download something and it asks which processor you're running. (not everyone will do the universal binaries). Bit like the old 68K/PPC days, or downloading software for the early PocketPCs.
QUOTE Thanks
iNAP

iNAP has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudane
I love how they dropped the 'e' on "It's True" to match the Intel logo just before they came up with the answer - that was very very funny :spook:.
Made me laugh also

www.idadgraphics.com
I started using PS from finding this forum and all the help I have gotten here thru the years is immeasurable
thank you MacForums and all it's members
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

Jobs does a great job of showing that Apple has not made this decision without first doing their homework.... I watched it last night and it definitely made a good case for the switch and answered any of my concerns. Apple has already taken care of the hardest parts... This shouldn't be anything like the 9 - OSX switch developers had to wade through back a few years ago. My optimism was certainely boosted after watching it.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I agree also, if Apple continues to do what they are doing now. Their future should be brighter.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Goes Intel !!!!! WOW | Done Deal - Apple converts to x86 Intel »