Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    falltime
    Done Deal - Apple converts to x86 Intel

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    If this true, I believe Apple has hurt itself this time.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
    Great..... now we get to have over sized heatsyncs .... yay ...

im kind of dissapointed

BrianH
    well there goes the big announcement of G5 Powerbooks at WWDC...

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Hardly a "done deal." No other outlet has picked up this story yet, and Apple spokespeople hasn't confirmed it yet, nor have Intel's.

No matter what happens, Monday will be an exciting day.

falltime
    Great..... now we get to have over sized heatsyncs .... yay ...

im kind of dissapointed
    Oversized? Have you SEEN the size of the heatsinks in the Powermacs? What beasts.... not the mention the 2.5-2.7's require ADDITIONAL liquid cooling.

BrianH
    but I read it on the internet! it has to be the truth!

Specs:
    My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
    NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I agree with rman, i think apple will hurt itself if this is true. I think that apple should ride the back of the developement of the next generation consoles from micrsoft, sony and nintendo. If i understand it right the processors in those consoles are based on PPC and therefore could be used buy apple.

If Apple does go Intel i hope intel developes a PPC type processor and that x86 is not the type of processor apple will use.

Just my thoughts on the subject

Specs:
    MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
    I don't know if i should laugh or cry... my question is, if OSX can run in a Pentium how good/bad is it going to run? if they make it possible, does that mean you would be able to run OSX in a AMD-based? Will Intel make another kind of processor exclusive for Apple or Apple will surrender to Pentium? what is going to be the codename of OSx 10.5, will it play with previous cats?.....
    I'm not concerned about the design of the future Apple computers, but about the value of previous models. In order to prevent the use huge heatsyncs in small models i suposse they will choose Pentium M or low end Pentium 4/Celeron....
    There is just too much to say and think about this article, i want to believe the minds that have keept Apple alive all this time had thought a lot about this and decided in the best interest of the company, now we will have to see how it will affect the rest of us.

falltime
    Hardly a "done deal." No other outlet has picked up this story yet, and Apple spokespeople hasn't confirmed it yet, nor have Intel's.

No matter what happens, Monday will be an exciting day.

but I read it on the internet! it has to be the truth!

The article was e-mailed to the Apple employees right before I left work. There was also quite a bit of speculation about this announcement in the WSJ this morning, which is definitely a credible source.

Most of us knew of the upcoming announcment several days ago.

Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Quote Originally Posted by prostuff1
    If Apple does go Intel i hope intel developes a PPC type processor and that x86 is not the type of processor apple will use.
    I think this is the most plausible scenario, if such an announcement is indeed made on Monday. Everyone seems to automatically assume that Apple using chips manufactured by Intel means they'll be x86-based. Instead, I think that just as Motorola and IBM both manufactured PowerPC chips, a switch to Intel would simply mean PowerPC-based chips from a different manufacturer. To me, it simply wouldn't make sense for Apple to make a switch that would basically require the company to begin offering dual software releases to avoid leaving the millions of current users abandoned (think Apple IIGS...) and which would leave the already relatively small developer community displeased with the company.
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

Specs:
    iBook
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Specs:
    Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
    I have a feeling this is going to be another long thread.

Edit: I forgot. Ohhhh, nooooo Apple!

Kokopelli
    I find it plausible but I hope it is not true. I guess we'll wait and see. On a side note if Apple were to go x86 wouldn't AMD be the better choice? Apple's business would make a much bigger impact on AMD and currently AMD are mostly ahead in the performance game.

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    I was stated in another thread thats Apple could be planning to use Intels chip set in another application. Seeing a notice like this does not mean that Apple is scraping the G5 line.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Thread Information