New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

What happens when Apple passes Microsoft in market value?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

What happens when Apple passes Microsoft in market value?
Apple vs. Microsoft: The Value Gap Is Closing

The writer predicts that very soon if the ipad is a massive hit as we all think it will be, that Apple will have more total net worth than Microsoft. So in one sense Apple will be bigger than Microsoft. The article also says that  vs M$ is not the real issue.  and M$ vs Google is the reall issue. The author says Google poses a massive threat to both companies.

From the article:
Quote:
If Apple does in fact pass Microsoft in market cap, I can see CEO Steve Ballmer losing it
I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Steve Ballmer is told Apple is bigger then M$. The expression on his face would be priceless.
QUOTE Thanks
god0fgod

god0fgod is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook White 2.13Ghz 160GB 10.6.4 (Buggy Version :() Snow Leopard

Apple is already bigger than Microsoft in the sense they make better products and show greater ethical behaviour (Although no perfect.)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Want to know the answer? Keep watching 'V' on the 9 Network th8thark and all will be revealed lol!
QUOTE Thanks
NumberSix

NumberSix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by god0fgod View Post
Apple is already bigger than Microsoft in the sense they make better products and show greater ethical behaviour (Although no perfect.)
iAd just proved that wrong
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
iAd just proved that wrong
As did their decision to have their products made in China for next to nothing pay *it's why they're over there* and silently enforcing a policy which makes it ok for security goons to practically beat people sensless, when they're caught with a cell phone in the work place. Come to think of it, that guy whom supposedly "committed suicide" after leaking info ? Something tells me he didn't really commit suicide. Just sayin'.

No one in that line of business cares about ethics. Don't be so naive. You don't get to be rich and powerful by being ethical. Just ask the Vatican.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Well its even now to late to buy stocks at a reasonable price

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
god0fgod

god0fgod is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook White 2.13Ghz 160GB 10.6.4 (Buggy Version :() Snow Leopard

I brought ethics up on purpose because I've been doing things about in business studies recently. In fact, I recently did an essay on "Is there a business case for running a business ethically.".

In that essay I essentially wrote that it depends on the business. What is the business for? Sometimes the objectives of a business reefer to positive ethics, and if they achieve their ethical objectives, then they have been successful for those. I also weighed up the positives and negatives relating to profitability and marketing. I got an A*.

"No one in that line of business cares about ethics. Don't be so naive"

No, that statement is very stupid.

Also there is nothing unethical about advertising. If others think so, it proves one thing I stating in my essay which is that ethics is subjective. Businesses should work towards achieving consensus when attempting to be ethical. I gave an example about the controversy of violent video games. Are they unethical for existing or is it unethical to ban them because of liberty?

An example of attempted ethical behaviour from Apple is the removal of toxins from their products after coming under criticism.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Ethics is extreemly subjective but I think their is a baseline for buisness ethics that more or less applies across the board.

I don't consider Apple building products in China unethical any more than I do when any other company does it. I don't belive Apple explicety condones whatever the disciplinary action of those companies are and I'm not sure they can really control those actions even if they chose to.

As for removing toxins? Well, it makes a good headline and sells more machines, perhaps at higher profit margin. Is that wrong or unethical? As an Apple Stockholder I'd say no, but that's just me.

QUOTE Thanks
thanxal

thanxal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac 3.06; 24" iMac 3.06; MBP 15 i7; 13" Macbook 2.4; 32gb iPodTouch; iMac G4; PowerMac G3&G4

I jump up and down and scream like a little girl.
I switched a bunch of my stock out for Apple a few years back.
Go Apple!

Switchers are the most religious of Mac fans.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
I brought ethics up on purpose because I've been doing things about in business studies recently. In fact, I recently did an essay on "Is there a business case for running a business ethically.".

In that essay I essentially wrote that it depends on the business. What is the business for? Sometimes the objectives of a business reefer to positive ethics, and if they achieve their ethical objectives, then they have been successful for those. I also weighed up the positives and negatives relating to profitability and marketing. I got an A*.

"No one in that line of business cares about ethics. Don't be so naive"

No, that statement is very stupid.

Also there is nothing unethical about advertising. If others think so, it proves one thing I stating in my essay which is that ethics is subjective. Businesses should work towards achieving consensus when attempting to be ethical. I gave an example about the controversy of violent video games. Are they unethical for existing or is it unethical to ban them because of liberty?

An example of attempted ethical behaviour from Apple is the removal of toxins from their products after coming under criticism.

Actually, my statement isn't stupid. It's very general. Quite a different beast. And don't be so smug just because your professor agreed with your line of double talk and black and white logic. I could just as easily agree with what you've said, as I do see the logic in it, but when we're talking about business, it really only ever boils down to how to make your business as profitable as possible. Should that mean advertising that you're "Green", then so be it. I never said I had any qualms with how they advertise.

As far as ethics being subjective, I don't prescribe to that particular notion. Ulterior motives and ethics usually play right into one another, and we all know exactly what the differences are between 'right' and 'wrong'. It's how we choose to play with and manipulate the public's perception of these things, which decides the state of our businesses on the whole.

I think you read way too much into my sarcastic comments, btw.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
I jump up and down and scream like a little girl.
I switched a bunch of my stock out for Apple a few years back.
Go Apple!
I'm right there with you...!

QUOTE Thanks
NumberSix

Quote:
I strongly disagree with you there. That's a pure and simple marketing/business decision. Someone points out a flaw, company fixes it, company looks like it cares.

It's pure and utter (word i cannot use here)!

What would have been ethical would have been making sure the products are clean of any toxins/bugs/defects BEFORE release.

Reacting to a problem is not ethical. It's just "good business"
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Reacting to a problem is ethical and it is also good business. It's also good for the environment if the issue is a green one. It's all about how the solution to the problem is portrayed. So fixing the problem can be spun to suit any arguement/point someone is trying to make.
QUOTE Thanks
NumberSix

ethics just might be too subjective to argue over
QUOTE Thanks
Raimond

Raimond is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8Mhz, 3G iPhone, iMac Pro 15"

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
I'm right there with you...!
I just wish I would have sold everything I had when I purchased APPL last year.

Freedom is not free, support the troops.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The iPad Launch: Can Steve Jobs Do It Again? - Time Magazine | Inside the iPad: Apple's A4 processor »