New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Adobe Flash CS5 For Windows May Violate Apple Rules

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Adobe Flash CS5 For Windows May Violate Apple Rules
Adobe Flash CS5 For Windows May Violate Apple Rules -- InformationWeek
Quote:
The language of Apple's iPhone Developer Agreement indicates that using Windows to build iPhone apps is forbidden.
QUOTE Thanks
gotham

gotham is an unknown at this point

this should be interesting it to see how this plays out. I wonder what is the real reason behinde apple not allowing iphones,ipads,iPods to uncode Flash yet all the other computers can show it.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
this should be interesting it to see how this plays out. I wonder what is the real reason behinde apple not allowing iphones,ipads,iPods to uncode Flash yet all the other computers can show it.
Partially, perhaps, but the "real reason" is exactly what Jobs said it was a) when they introduced the iPhone three years ago and b) what they said it was more recently at the iPad intro:

1. Kills the battery
2. Causes crashes

The bottom line is that Flash for OS X *sucks* and needs fixing. If Adobe would just *fix it* Apple might change their tune.
QUOTE Thanks
gotham

gotham is an unknown at this point

I did not take what they said to heart. a Battery issue is a joke if that was the case you would have an option to not decode flash as you have to option not to use 3G which will slash your battery time in half. As for crashes that is a OS issue for sure and shame on apple for that if it is true.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Even on a PC Flash is a security breach long live HTML 5.
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Quote:
I did not take what they said to heart. a Battery issue is a joke if that was the case you would have an option to not decode flash as you have to option not to use 3G which will slash your battery time in half. As for crashes that is a OS issue for sure and shame on apple for that if it is true.
How can you justify your position on how you imply that you're smarter than Apple?

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Simple test unplug your laptop play Flash content watch your battery life go
down cpu usage go up and heat go up and that is on a laptop with a serious
battery not a portable device or you can ask someone that has a jail broken
portable how long the battery lasts if the heat monitor does not kick in first.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Well what osxx said is very true.
But Apple could just want to drive the IT industry away from flash. Apple did it with floppy disks. Imacs did not have drives for them to move the industry away from their use. And Apple are are doing it over and over. And I think it's just Apple's idea that flash one day will be out dated and useless. And think this is the future and are making a stand now so they are not left behind.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

I noticed its not just Apple that wants to do away with Flash or have it completely overhauled its in other mfg's interest also.
QUOTE Thanks
Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Core2 Duo 4Gb Ram / Powermac G5 2 TB RAID , 16GB Ram Running Leopard

Another really good reason for not wanting Flash on a computer is that there are a good number of security holes associated with Flash. FFT IMO

"All great change in America begins at the dinner table."-Ronald Reagan
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Quote:
No its not an OS issue its a junk code issue ! The problem isn't with apple its with adobe being lazy and never developing flash for OS X , its the same product they wrote and optimized for windows , and it is a serious cause of crashes on Mac's .

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
Jamie-Jamie

Jamie-Jamie is a jewel in the roughJamie-Jamie is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS

Flashblock for the win!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
As for crashes that is a OS issue for sure and shame on apple for that if it is true.
It's not an OS issue -- it's a developer issue.

Thus, it's not "shame on apple," it's "shame on Adobe."

The Mac version of Flash IS BUGGY. This is an undisputed fact, even by Adobe itself. It is the #1 cause of Safari (and Firefox, according to them) crashes.

Once again, this means that the problem is with Adobe's implementation of Flash on the Mac, which is considerably inferior to the Windows implementation.

Thus, Adobe should stop treating Mac customers like second-class citizens and just *fix Flash.* They should do this for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with the iPhone or iPad -- they should do it because its the right thing to do.

Apple has spent the better part of a *decade* trying to get Adobe to get their apps up to speed with the latest reference platforms, APIs and languages, and Adobe has consistently chosen to drag behind absolutely EVERYONE else in this regard. It is an "attitude problem" with Adobe, not Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

Yes and this attitude could be the end of flash as we know it. Apple are not the biggest market share. But they do set the trends in the industry and others do follow. So if Apple trashcan flash because of it, I'm sure others will too. And that'd be a big blow to Adobe's profits.
QUOTE Thanks
newmediahaus

newmediahaus is on a distinguished road

Please take the time to read this (I took me a while to write it) but, before you do I would like to say that I'm not an HTML5 hater I simply love all web technologies whether it be Flash, HTML etc...gotta use it all and we should have the freedom to choose what we want to display in our devices. I just bought an iPad but, I'm so disappointed with the lack of Flash support I honestly can't wait for the HP Slate to come out (I'll probably keep both)...

- "Even on a PC Flash is a security breach long live HTML 5."

When will people realize you can't really compare Flash with HTML5. HTML5 is barely starting to come out it will take years for it to get to the level where Flash is at and even then Flash can handle so many things that HTML5 can't...Flash is not just a video player!..and Adobe is also working on Open Screen Project to enable developers and content publishers to deliver to any device, so that consumers have open access to media, content, and applications across platform, regardless of the device that people choose to use, course Apple is not joining.

- "How can you justify your position on how you imply that you're smarter than Apple?"

He was not implying that at all simply making a statement. 3G will drain your battery just as much if not more as Flash does so why not have an option to disable/enable Flash...Apple simply wants to control the content on their devices (not a true Internet device..we want freedom!). This being proven more today after Apple banned iPhone/iPad publishing from third party compilers...(even apps compiled in Flash would need to be approved for the app store..hmmm wonder why they put the ban in place..)..

- "And I think it's just Apple's idea that flash one day will be out dated and useless. And think this is the future and are making a stand now so they are not left behind."

Flash is a long way from over...it has so many capabilities..Look around the web and show me an HTML5 site that can do what sites at thefwa.com can. Those sites provide major interactive content...Over 85% of the top web sites contain Flash content and Flash runs on over 98% of computers on the Web.

- "Another really good reason for not wanting Flash on a computer is that there are a good number of security holes associated with Flash. FFT IMO"

Again..that's with certain content...it's not Flash itself..there are security risks with Java too (everything has security issues)....

-"The Mac version of Flash IS BUGGY. This is an undisputed fact, even by Adobe itself. It is the #1 cause of Safari (and Firefox, according to them) crashes.

WRONG!!! Hardware acceleration is not supported under Mac OS X, because Mac OS X does not expose access to the required APIs. Basically Apple isn't allowing Flash to become more efficient on their Mac OS X/Safari platform (or their iPod/iPhone/iPad one, either) by not providing the access to the hardware it needs to reduce its CPU load... the ball is in Apple's court.

- "No its not an OS issue its a junk code issue ! The problem isn't with apple its with adobe being lazy and never developing flash for OS X"
PLEASE SEE ABOVE...

- "Thus, Adobe should stop treating Mac customers like second-class citizens and just *fix Flash.* "

WRONG AGAIN!!!
If anyone remembers correctly...or before everyone jumped on the "apple" bandwagon..when Apple was not doing so well the majority of it's users/customers were Adobe users (creatives)...Apple should remember Adobe users and stop treating us like second class citizens!

Bottom line if Apple wants to provide the "end user" (they're always talking about end user design) with a great Web experience they should allow us to make the choice and not dictate what we can and can't view...Apple is just blocking Flash for corporate gain..

I own a Macbook Pro 2.5 (after selling my original 2.33), Mac Pro (fully loaded 16gigs of mem Nvidia Quadro fx 4500..paid top $$ for this 2 years ago)..30" LCD cinema, 20" Cinema and I just got the iPad. I really love their products but this is getting to me big time...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« More Anti flash sentiment | Apple Drops Prices on 4 GB RAM Modules for 27-Inch iMac »