New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple Banning Hackers From the App Store

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.2-MacMini3,1:10.9.2-iPhone6,1:7.1

They don't seem too sure whether it's Apple, or a credit card glitch, or something else... If it's Apple, my kudos to them. I'd do the same thing. Enjoy!

Apple Banning Hackers From the App Store? - PCWorld

Privacy has become a luxury good. Be prepared to pay for it going forward...
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

ROFL, great news for Apple.

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks
stans34

stans34 is on a distinguished road

Haha... Nice article
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Interesting XJ. Thanks for the URL!
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

lol
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Not sure I see the funniness in it to be honest. The only real reason to get an iPhone is for its capabilities when it's Jailbroken and not really otherwise as it is crippled so poorly vs other standard dumb and smart phones.

If we speak about GUI's then okay, the iPhone has it nailed and no other phone comes close. But in terms of useful applications ? Sorry but, there's no app available to the iPhone which doesn't have a competing, similar or the same app on either the BB or Android phones.

And let's not forget about how the iPhone conveniently leaves out legal tethering as well as other productive features such as things like Gtalk etc.. And no, it's not an ATT thing. BB phones use these apps without discrimination.

And the fact that there are thousands of FART applications and other redundant crap, just so that Apple can boast about the number of apps they possess, is repugnant. I'll be spending my money elsewhere in that segment of the market next time around. Just glad I bought my current 3G from a friend.

This smug attitude which some people possess in defending anything Apple does will only serve to give them more leverage and control every aspect of what YOU want to do with your merchandise. And yeah, yeah.. I know. It's a subsidy most of the time. But your contract assures that your subsidy pays for the equipment over time. And not everybody subsidizes their equipment. Some purchase it outright for full price, which in essence makes it theirs. And yeah.. I know.. we don't own the software. But that's another issue with some fine lines.

Just saying, I personally don't agree with Apple's quasi-Imperialistic moves.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

Fair points I think but, from my point of view, I see the phone as being Apples, they made it, they gave huge sums of money to R&D and they have IP that they don't want people messing with. I think it's their right.

That said I think you make an excellent point on the fact that when you pay for it out-right you're not really renting it off anyone - and the physical device is yours.

BUT - what is in the device is still theirs and what they choose to do to protect it is for them to decide. I personally like this move and think it's a good idea.

One thing that bothers me is that people hate Apple for locking them in (or out) but surely you must also hate all non-open-source software as they all do their best to stop you from using it for nothing or making changes to their product (again I think this is fair).

Further to this - we're not just talking about software here - how many pieces of commercial (main-stream) hardware encourage you to get in there and do what you want to them (again the important point is not so much the device but the software that's running on it)?

Ok so 99% of companies out there won't get caught up in a cat and mouse fight to try and stop you... but they still don't want you to do it. Apple choose to do things a little differently - that's their right.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
Not sure I see the funniness in it to be honest. The only real reason to get an iPhone is for its capabilities when it's Jailbroken and not really otherwise as it is crippled so poorly vs other standard dumb and smart phones.
Doug

I agree. I cannot believe how "crippling" the iphone is when it's not jailbroken. It's a completely different phone! What will all the people do who have old iphones and are out of a contract? I wouldn't keep an old iphone if I knew I had to keep it locked! That's for sure! I don't get the reason to get locked out of itunes though? You don't take anything out of it, you don't need itunes for music, and if they are worried about programs, locking them out won't help.

I think there is more to this story than what is simply stated in that article, because it doesn't really make sense…it won't stop anyone if they are truly worried about hackers.

Maybe they are just getting ready for a better version of the iphone's OS…which might be good in that case!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Apple has not, to my knowledge, attempted to ban anyone who has jailbroken or unlocked their iPhone from the store.

All they have done, at least as I read the article, is bar two known hackers from the store.

This seems to me to be well within their rights, as these devs have PRETTY CLEARLY violated the terms of their software license.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute

From what I have read, Apple (may have, not confirmed) locked out the hackers' App Store accounts. They didn't remotely disable anyone's phone or delete anyone's hack. They didn't have AT&T close anyone's cellular phone account either. I'm pretty sure that you can deny a free service to someone if they are not using the service consistent with it's intent or purpose. Personally, I've always reserved the right to deny anyone service for any reason - compulsory service or compelled charity is not something I support. Apple is just saying "Want an hacked iPhone? Go ahead, but don't come here for your applications. You made your choice and can go elsewhere for your needs." I mean, these folks have knowingly chosen to hack their phones, gone public with it, and distributed a method to do the same for others. You can't have it both ways all the time. Some people will love you for it, others will not, it's an inevitable part of the choices we all make everyday. Just so happens in this case that Apple doesn't love you for it, and Apple owns the App Store. This means they can do as they please with it. Don't like the company, don't buy their products, It's not a Democracy it's a business. Your vote does not count. That's life, get a helmet. [/end rant]

QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Jailbreakers are smart enough to know what they're doing. They know that they're going out on their own, cutting their ties to Apple doing their own thing.

And yet a small number of them are immature enough to whine when Apple cuts them off. You can't have it both ways. Either go your own way, or go Apple's way.

If you're going to declare your independence from the Evil Empire, don't be surprised when the evil emperor stops you at the border when you try to come back.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
Just so happens in this case that Apple doesn't love you for it, and Apple owns the App Store. This means they can do as they please with it. Don't like the company, don't buy their products, It's not a Democracy it's a business. Your vote does not count. That's life, get a helmet.
AGREE X's 1,000,000!
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

But what if these two guys get hacked off enough to start the first round of Mac viruses? Ahhhhhhh............. runs out of room screaming.

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger-63 View Post
But what if these two guys get hacked off enough to start the first round of Mac viruses? Ahhhhhhh............. runs out of room screaming.
LOL... the successful criminals are the ones that no one has ever heard of... since we know them, they lose before they start.

QUOTE Thanks
bailey.hipson

bailey.hipson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3", Aluminum, 2.0 GHz Intel core duo, 2GB of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 160GB 5400-rpm hard drive

The good thing about jailbreaking is that you can simply un-jailbreak and go back to the way apple intended the iphone to be. I happen to have jailbroken my iphone several times and restore it just before the new OS is ready to download. As for the app store apple can do what they want would you want someone double dipping a chip in your salsa bowl? not I
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The origins of Apple's logo? | If you've ever wondered how Apple keeps it secrets, especially in China »