New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

iPad (2nd generation?) to have Camera?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

According to this report, the current iPad frame has the internal cutout to accommodate a Macbook type iSight camera.

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/02/02/repai...s-camera-slot/
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Read about this. It's a bit interesting. But I don't think a camera would sell well with the iPad.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.1
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.1
 Mac mini Server m10 - OS X 10.9.3
 MacBook Uni l09 - OS X 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
ghostsushi

ghostsushi is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" MBP: 500GB HD, 4GB RAM, 2.26GHz

i know someone actually who was excited and going to buy one, but turned away bc the lack of a cam. but i guess the lack of ichat (if they knew about it) would have done just a good job turning them away
QUOTE Thanks
wantedinc

wantedinc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13", 2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8GB Ram, 500GB WD 7200rpm HDD

Well if you read it carefully it states that no has had been able to get their hands on the iPad yet, let alone some repair shop in kansas getting it. It looks like the chinese are getting ready for duplicate housing.

If you check this same article at gizmodo, it details the facts.

Macbook Pro 13
QUOTE Thanks
ghostsushi

ghostsushi is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" MBP: 500GB HD, 4GB RAM, 2.26GHz

baaahahaha this is hilarious
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Hahaha, beat me to it.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

It's totally true!!

My buddy runs an auto salvage yard in Nowwheresville, IN and he is already fully stocked with iPad repair parts!

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
gotham

gotham is an unknown at this point

I was thinking the same thing how in the world would repair parts be released before an apple product. To Add if anything goes wrong with any apple product you have at min 3 months coverage upto 1 year with out an extended warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I think I have figured out the REAL reason the iPad does not have a front side video camera.

(The reason they don't have a back-side camera is because it would be stupid)

The reason is because:

a. They'd have to fix iChat to make it work with PCs, and much more reliably with Macs. This would probably entail buying Skype.

b. You know Steve -- videochatting would HAVE to work beautifully under wifi AND 3g before he'd do something like that.

c. Imagine the strain on the already-overloaded 3G networks if a great videochatting program were to appear on millions of people's iPads (and of course PCs).

That last one's the real killer, but I think it has something to do with all three. So no camera in iPad gen 2 either.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

Honestly, it could easily have been feedback from AT&T that kept the camera out of iPad gen 1 - I can hear them saying "our network can barely keep up with the iPhone, give us a year to fix the backbone before you completely tank our network!"

And --- the lack of a camera is an issue.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

I read that article too. I think this is Apple attempt to milk the first as much as they can from the first generation since there are people who will buy it no matter what the ipad comes out with in it's first generation. I would seriously bet money that it will have a camera built in…probably as soon as the next update version comes out. After all, it really does make sense to have a camera with the keyboard-dock stand. Thankfully, I'm am really patient this time around
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I could see the network issue holding it back if Apple made a deal to keep it off for the inexpensive non-contract data plans, but I think that's that the $129 3G bump is for.

But I actually think it's just Apple holding back a feature for gen 2 or 3. For me it doesn't matter as I have no interest in a camera. The one on my MBP annoys me anyway.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
fairoasis

fairoasis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammySlim View Post
Honestly, it could easily have been feedback from AT&T that kept the camera out of iPad gen 1 - I can hear them saying "our network can barely keep up with the iPhone, give us a year to fix the backbone before you completely tank our network!"

And --- the lack of a camera is an issue.

Cheers
AT & T just revised their prior statements about video on their network and have given the go ahead for Sling to work over 3G. I see an iPad with a camera in our future...would be nice if it was part of the 3G release.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I have to be honest and further admit that I *very* rarely use the iSight camera to do any videochatting. I like having the *option,* but in real life I much prefer audio chatting.

So the iPad's lack of a cam doesn't really bother me. If it had lacked a MIC I would have been upset.

PS. "Fixing" the cam problem is a matter of sticking one on the dock connector and holding the iPad "upside down." You *have* to know that people like Griffin are working on this already, so again it's kind of a non-issue IMHO.
QUOTE Thanks
TWM

TWM is on a distinguished road

You would think people would want flash player so they can go to all websites, and not worry about a camera lol.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Flash coming to iPhone - appears restricted to native apps.. | PC Mag HomeReviewsService and ReliabilityReaders' Choice Awards 2010 Readers' Choice »