New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Is the Apple iPad a flop?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Philctw

Philctw is on a distinguished road

Hey guys

Just wondering if you think the name is a complete flop...

Connect the World: Blog Archive - Is the iPad name an iFlop? - Blogs from CNN.com
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

I would pay the $499 but not any more, I mean for $999.00 you can buy a Macbook. Spending upwards of $600-$900 for an iPad is a little extreme.
QUOTE Thanks
geekfreackz

geekfreackz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13.3" (2009), 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8GB 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 500GB Momentus XT Hybrid

For people that currently only own Desktops, an iPad would be ideal (atleast if they only want to do basic stuff on it).

--

I own a MacBook Pro -- but I use it to edit video, use it for projects etc....
So an iPad would be ideal for basic stuff -- I think it would also make a great device to take with you when going on vacation.

--

To me it basically is Apple's "Netbook".
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekfreackz View Post
For people that currently only own Desktops, an iPad would be ideal (atleast if they only want to do basic stuff on it).

--

I own a MacBook Pro -- but I use it to edit video, use it for projects etc....
So an iPad would be ideal for basic stuff -- I think it would also make a great device to take with you when going on vacation.

--

To me it basically is Apple's "Netbook".

I agree, I will definitely buy the $499 model. I'm sure Apple will lower the prices within a few months.
QUOTE Thanks
znuffzz

znuffzz is on a distinguished road

nothing can be a flop before it's launched! there's no commercial yardstick with which to measure it is there? tsch
QUOTE Thanks
Sharp_Kid

Sharp_Kid is on a distinguished road

It's massive limitations re: running multiple apps, screen size/resolution, etc... are a bit of a disappointment.
It doesn't seem much more useful than an iPhone and yet it lacks the 'fits in your pocket' appeal.
I certainly won't be buying one until they're improved beyond recognition.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Just how large do you expect the screen on a portable device like the iPad to be? 10" is plenty for it's intended usage.
QUOTE Thanks
ezcompane

ezcompane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Just how large do you expect the screen on a portable device like the iPad to be? 10" is plenty for it's intended usage.
Totally agree. All they need to do is patch the OS for multitasking and its good to go. I don't think this will flop as long as Apple figures out what they can do with it. I'm not sure if they want to compete with Kindle/Nook or Netbooks....heck, maybe they want to take on both markets.

LIVE and PSN: EZCOMPANE
2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

When did the term pad suddenly only refer to feminine hygene products and nothing else?? It's a funny, crude joke, but it certainly doesn't make the name a flop. I do seem to recall the word "pad" being used to describe a few other things like
paper pad,
key pad (or number pad),
padlock,
mouse pad,
bachelor pad (a particularly non-female reference),
launch pad,
landing pad,
drum pad,
brake pad,
control pad,
sketch pad,
D-pad,
cooling pad,
heating pad,
wrist pad,
mattress pad,
lilly pad,
and so on and so on.

You know, I think I'm starting to see a trend here! It almost seems like the word "pad" is meant to refer to something broad and flat. And that seems to describe the iPad pretty well. Is Steve Jobs some kind of mad genius for making this association, or is the collective world of journalism pretty much like a crowd of middle school boys?

You decide.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
ezcompane

ezcompane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
or is the collective world of journalism pretty much like a crowd of middle school boys?

You decide.
I've already decided that makes up 90% of the population including women.

LIVE and PSN: EZCOMPANE
2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I think first you need to define "flop".

QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by znuffzz View Post
nothing can be a flop before it's launched!
Obviously, it's a total flop. Apple hasn't sold a single one!
QUOTE Thanks
twdcmd

twdcmd is on a distinguished road

I really don't understand the draw that everyone has towards multitasking on a mobile device...it's not designed to be a workhorse, it's designed to be an extremely mobile device used for access to the web and email among other things...how often would you really even need to access two programs at the same time? I've had windows mobile devices that would "multitask" and it didn't work worth a crap, nor was it extremely useable on a small screen anyway.

Not to mention, with a 1GHz ARM, and the functionality of the iphone OS, it's just as good as multitasking. If you need to go from e-mail to web, it's two presses at best and, at least on my iPod touch, it's just as quick if not quicker that doing the same thing on my Macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Seems everyone that is not happy with its ability missed the big slide shot of a device
that fits beteen the phone and the computer and if it had all the features a lot of people wanted do they really think it would only cost them 499.00 and weigh only 1.5 lbs and not overheat.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

Who knows. I bet it will sell well. I'm not interested in owning the current version. Perhaps v2 will be more appealing. I will add that my Mother, who is a nursing professor and is starting to use tablets professionally, is kicking herself for buying a Kindle before Christmas. She now wants to switch her clinical students from the Kindle to the iPad once she gets a chance to test drive it. Point being, I'm sure there is an audience that will buy them - just not me.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« If you've ever wondered how Apple keeps it secrets, especially in China | Will New iPhone 2010 compete with new Windows Phone 7? »