New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Magic Mouse Blamed for Draining Bluetooth Keyboard Batteries

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oposky2006

oposky2006 is on a distinguished road

Over the weekend, TUAW pointed to a growing chorus of complaints in Apple's discussion forums from users who have seen poor battery life from their Apple wireless keyboards after moving to the company's new Magic Mouse, which began shipping in late October. According to the reports, some users are finding that their wireless keyboards are running through batteries on a nearly-weekly basis since switching to the Magic Mouse, although an exact cause of the problem has not yet been determined.
The issue, which was noted early last month by MacNN, has begun receiving more attention as it continues to be unresolved. The complaints appear to be coming from users of Apple's older, three-battery aluminum wireless keyboard, which was replaced with a new, two-battery version that initially shipped with Apple's new iMacs released in October and also made available for individual sale. Few, if any, reports have come from users of the new keyboard model, although it is unclear if the new model is unaffected or if there is simply a larger sample of users of the older model who would be more likely to notice a change in battery performance than recent purchasers of the new model.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Hmmm... no problems here. And I have the older keyboard with the Magic Mouse. Use it daily, 8 hours a day and haven't had to change batteries in either since I got the MM.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

My wireless keyboard it the Polycarbonate unit and both that and the Magic Mouse operate as the Mighty Mouse did before it. Magic Mouse stays on 24/7 and needs recharged batteries every 2-3 weeks
QUOTE Thanks
MacMan84

MacMan84 is on a distinguished road

Really, i have no problems with my keyboard and magic mouse.
QUOTE Thanks
bigdavecox90

bigdavecox90 is on a distinguished road

I've had mine for a good few months now and had no problems.

Batteries died in my mouse long before the keyboard.

Had about 4 months and still about 40% battery life left on keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Attention readers of this thread:

Apple today issued a firmware update for their aluminum BT keyboards. From the press release:

Quote:
This firmware update improves battery performance of the 2007 aluminum Apple Wireless Keyboard when used in combination with other bluetooth devices (eg. Magic Mouse, some bluetooth headsets) and addresses an issue with the 2007 aluminum Apple Keyboard and the 2007 aluminum Apple Wireless Keyboard where a key may repeat unexpectedly while typing.
Should be available via Software Update now or shortly.
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

I have the older Bluetooth keyboard and the magic mouse. So does my wife. We're doing fine, no battery problems here.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Attention readers of this thread:

Apple today issued a firmware update for their aluminum BT keyboards. From the press release:

Should be available via Software Update now or shortly.
That explains it then. My Alu BT keyboard is a 2008 model. It sounds like it's limited to those produced in 2007.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
djchub91

djchub91 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac intel core duo 2 GHz 160GB HDD

What is the estimated battery life for the Ally BT keyboards. i bought it from pc world just after christmas and i got the magic mouse around the same time. I've had to change the batteries about 4 times since i got it but I'm still on the same batt's for the mouse it's at about 36% now. Is this good?
Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
Lex

Lex is an unknown at this point

No issues with those here. Never had to recharge them for over 2 months.

-Lex
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

I noted that the local Best Buy in my town is having some issues with keyboards draining out. And someone *possibly* stole the display Magic Mouse's from the store on Saturday. The iMac's on display were pretty much useless. I went over to a MacBook Pro 15"...instant one night-stand love affair- I know I'll never get one anytime soon!

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.1
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.1
 Mac mini Server m10 - OS X 10.9.3
 MacBook Uni l09 - OS X 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Store is down for update? | More Apple Tablet Rumors »