New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple releases Leopard and Snow Leopard "Performance Update"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

From MacNN:

Quote:
Apple on Wednesday released performance updates for both its Leopard and Snow Leopard operating systems. The downloads address intermittent stalls caused by hard drives, an issue reported by a a small number of users. The updates do not appear to include any other bug fixes.

Affected systems include MacBook Airs, 13- to 17-inch MacBook Pros, 13-inch MacBooks, iMacs and Mac minis. The Snow Leopard download weighs in around 300KB, while the Leopard update is contained in a 322KB file
Full article here.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
DanFlan

DanFlan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.

I never experienced the problem myself, but for 322KB, why not download it anyways.

"60% of the time it works, every time."
- Brian Fantana
QUOTE Thanks
musicvortex

musicvortex is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 1,1 / 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Xeon / 5 GB RAM / OS 10.6

I really hope this fixes the spinning beach ball that happens when my mac pro decides to randomly spin up my external raid hard drive for no apparent reason (nothing is ever trying to access it - not even time machine). and of course, because its a raid hard drive with 4 drives it takes freakin forever and the beach ball prevents me from doing anything else on my computer.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

"Affected systems include MacBook Airs, 13- to 17-inch MacBook Pros, 13-inch MacBooks, iMacs and Mac minis"

No Mac Pro there. So there's a chance your issue might not be fixed.
QUOTE Thanks
gabo864

gabo864 is on a distinguished road

Hello people!

I just got my new macbook and I installed Snow Leopard... I was checking the news and I read Apple released a Performance Update 1.0 for a HArd drive error .. I have been on my macbook for 10 hours and I havent noticed any problem.. so My question is.. should I download it anyway? even if I'm not presenting any problem with my hard drive should I install that update? Thanks everyone
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Looks like my hardware isn't eligible. I really hope it's not referring to the situation musicvortex is describing because I have that problem and it's so annoying.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Islanti

Islanti is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early 09 MBP17 w/ 2.93 GHz CPU, 4GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM HDD

I was experiencing this issue on my early 09 MBP17 since 10.6. The update seems to have resolved the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
bruno

bruno is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabo864 View Post
Hello people!

I just got my new macbook and I installed Snow Leopard... I was checking the news and I read Apple released a Performance Update 1.0 for a HArd drive error .. I have been on my macbook for 10 hours and I havent noticed any problem.. so My question is.. should I download it anyway? even if I'm not presenting any problem with my hard drive should I install that update? Thanks everyone
says not all will have the problem...if you check for updates and there is none available, you dont have the problem...if one is available, download it
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

My 2009 Mini, Late 2008 MB and Late 2008 MBA all requested the update, even though I haven't experienced any issues with performance. It didn't seem to hurt anything though. My Late 2008 MBP hasn't requested it - go figure.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
My 2009 Mini, Late 2008 MB and Late 2008 MBA all requested the update, even though I haven't experienced any issues with performance. It didn't seem to hurt anything though. My Late 2008 MBP hasn't requested it - go figure.
My mid 2008 MBP didn't request the update either and I even manually searched for updates. Maybe it only applies to uni-body MBPs?
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, 750GT. iPhone 5S 64Gb Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicvortex View Post
I really hope this fixes the spinning beach ball that happens when my mac pro decides to randomly spin up my external raid hard drive for no apparent reason (nothing is ever trying to access it - not even time machine). and of course, because its a raid hard drive with 4 drives it takes freakin forever and the beach ball prevents me from doing anything else on my computer.
My MP does the same thing and as you say it is REALLY annoying.

Luckily I only have a 2 disk RAID1 backup tho...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Data losses in Snow Leopard bug | 13" Macbook Pro missing the audio input port »