Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Rumors and Reports (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/)
-   -   Apple releases Leopard and Snow Leopard "Performance Update" (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/171630-apple-releases-leopard-snow-leopard-performance-update.html)

cwa107 10-14-2009 10:02 PM

Apple releases Leopard and Snow Leopard "Performance Update"

From MacNN:

Quote:

Apple on Wednesday released performance updates for both its Leopard and Snow Leopard operating systems. The downloads address intermittent stalls caused by hard drives, an issue reported by a a small number of users. The updates do not appear to include any other bug fixes.

Affected systems include MacBook Airs, 13- to 17-inch MacBook Pros, 13-inch MacBooks, iMacs and Mac minis. The Snow Leopard download weighs in around 300KB, while the Leopard update is contained in a 322KB file
Full article here.

DanFlan 10-14-2009 10:20 PM

I never experienced the problem myself, but for 322KB, why not download it anyways.

musicvortex 10-15-2009 02:19 AM

I really hope this fixes the spinning beach ball that happens when my mac pro decides to randomly spin up my external raid hard drive for no apparent reason (nothing is ever trying to access it - not even time machine). and of course, because its a raid hard drive with 4 drives it takes freakin forever and the beach ball prevents me from doing anything else on my computer.

the8thark 10-15-2009 06:58 AM

"Affected systems include MacBook Airs, 13- to 17-inch MacBook Pros, 13-inch MacBooks, iMacs and Mac minis"

No Mac Pro there. So there's a chance your issue might not be fixed.

gabo864 10-15-2009 10:47 AM

Apple's Performance Update 1.0

Hello people!

I just got my new macbook and I installed Snow Leopard... I was checking the news and I read Apple released a Performance Update 1.0 for a HArd drive error .. I have been on my macbook for 10 hours and I havent noticed any problem.. so My question is.. should I download it anyway? even if I'm not presenting any problem with my hard drive should I install that update? Thanks everyone

Kash 10-15-2009 11:40 AM

Looks like my hardware isn't eligible. I really hope it's not referring to the situation musicvortex is describing because I have that problem and it's so annoying.

Islanti 10-15-2009 01:05 PM

I was experiencing this issue on my early 09 MBP17 since 10.6. The update seems to have resolved the problem.

bruno 10-15-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabo864 (Post 925119)
Hello people!

I just got my new macbook and I installed Snow Leopard... I was checking the news and I read Apple released a Performance Update 1.0 for a HArd drive error .. I have been on my macbook for 10 hours and I havent noticed any problem.. so My question is.. should I download it anyway? even if I'm not presenting any problem with my hard drive should I install that update? Thanks everyone

says not all will have the problem...if you check for updates and there is none available, you dont have the problem...if one is available, download it

XJ-linux 10-15-2009 05:07 PM

My 2009 Mini, Late 2008 MB and Late 2008 MBA all requested the update, even though I haven't experienced any issues with performance. It didn't seem to hurt anything though. My Late 2008 MBP hasn't requested it - go figure.

MYmacROX 10-16-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJ-linux (Post 925285)
My 2009 Mini, Late 2008 MB and Late 2008 MBA all requested the update, even though I haven't experienced any issues with performance. It didn't seem to hurt anything though. My Late 2008 MBP hasn't requested it - go figure.

My mid 2008 MBP didn't request the update either and I even manually searched for updates. Maybe it only applies to uni-body MBPs?

martyp 10-16-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicvortex (Post 924966)
I really hope this fixes the spinning beach ball that happens when my mac pro decides to randomly spin up my external raid hard drive for no apparent reason (nothing is ever trying to access it - not even time machine). and of course, because its a raid hard drive with 4 drives it takes freakin forever and the beach ball prevents me from doing anything else on my computer.

My MP does the same thing and as you say it is REALLY annoying.

Luckily I only have a 2 disk RAID1 backup tho... :D