Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    20" iMac | iPhone 4
    Data losses in Snow Leopard bug
    Via the BBC - "Users of the new Apple operating system Snow Leopard are experiencing massive data losses when logging into their machines under a guest account."

Read the full article here.Regards,

Chris

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Yet another reason why it's good practice to create a full backup before doing any major system changes, especially when that change is an upgrade to a nascent OS.

With external storage being relatively inexpensive these days, it's hard to have sympathy for folks who treat such upgrades with callous disregard.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    20" iMac | iPhone 4
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Yet another reason why it's good practice to create a full backup before doing any major system changes, especially when that change is an upgrade to a nascent OS.

With external storage being relatively inexpensive these days, it's hard to have sympathy for folks who treat such upgrades with callous disregard.
    True, you would also think if someone is tech-savvy enough to keep atune with the latest software they should have some understanding of safeguarding their data. Especially with how easy Time Machine makes it.

Still, lets hope a fix comes out soon!

Specs:
    Macbook White 2.13Ghz 160GB 10.6.4 (Buggy Version :() Snow Leopard
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post

You can't blame the consumers for this. People expect things to work and Snow Leopard doesn't work properly. Apple screwed up and they shouldn't have done.

Of-course, it's still a good idea to backup just in case but that doesn't mean problems like this should occur.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by god0fgod View Post
    You can't blame the consumers for this. People expect things to work and Snow Leopard doesn't work properly. Apple screwed up and they shouldn't have done.

Of-course, it's still a good idea to backup just in case but that doesn't mean problems like this should occur.
    I don't place the blame for this bug in the hands of the consumer. But I do blame them for the severity of the impact if they haven't taken any proactive measures to avoid data loss in doing a major system change.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

This is just ridiculous, SL is turning into a debacle of Vista proportions. I can't beleive Apple released it with so many bugs when their commercials say "It Just Works". They should have released public betas like MS did with W7.

Specs:
    Macbook White 2.13Ghz 160GB 10.6.4 (Buggy Version :() Snow Leopard
    Maybe not as bad a Vista was but certainly not very good. Snow Leopard's issues do not stop at this one of-course. I can't remember finding a bug in Leopard. Maybe I was lucky but with Snow Leopard I've come across a few issues.

There have been problems with iTunes and the function keys and some sleep issues. I also received a huge but temporary slowdown where many things crashed. I had to force a shutdown twice. Once because of the slowdown and crashes and once because there was some weird sleep bug, where OSX didn't show the password prompt when woken for a few moments before it showed and crashed.

I hate the play/pause button iTunes activation. I've hacked it fortunately.

Specs:
    17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
    Hmm, haven't ran into any issues as of yet.

shrug
    I don't support candidates that will say anything to be elected, and avoid answering questions like the plague.

You guys are scaring me now. There is a chance I could be getting a brand new Mac with SL, and reading some of the issues that are out there, it makes me want to cringe, which makes me want to downgrade it to L if I do get it. Unless I'm mistaken about it, which I heard Mac's purchased between this past June and Dec. 26, 09 have a chance to be upgraded to SL. Someone here know the full truth behind that?
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.3
     iPhone 6 64GB - iOS 9.3
     Mac mini early 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4
     MacBook unibody/white late 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4

Quote Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
    You guys are scaring me now. There is a chance I could be getting a brand new Mac with SL, and reading some of the issues that are out there, it makes me want to cringe, which makes me want to downgrade it to L if I do get it. Unless I'm mistaken about it, which I heard Mac's purchased between this past June and Dec. 26, 09 have a chance to be upgraded to SL. Someone here know the full truth behind that?
    I bought my new macbook with SL on it and it's been flawless, I think the bulk of issues are from upgrades, I wouldn't hesitate on it, I absolutly love mine. I'm in systems and this is my first mac, very technically inclined and really happy with my purchase.

Vince

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Agreed. In all my reading since this Guest account bug has been reported, it was on macs upgraded from 10.5 to 10.6. Fresh installs of 10.6 (Erase and Install) don't seem to have the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Agreed. In all my reading since this Guest account bug has been reported, it was on macs upgraded from 10.5 to 10.6. Fresh installs of 10.6 (Erase and Install) don't seem to have the issue.
    So if someone buys a new Mac with Leopard preinstalled, and they take up the offer on the $10 (?) upgrade to Snow Leopard, without putting any files (music, documents etc) on the machine, it should be fine?
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.3
     iPhone 6 64GB - iOS 9.3
     Mac mini early 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4
     MacBook unibody/white late 2009 - OS X El Capitan 10.11.4

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    I would do an erase and install if the $9 DVD allows it. I know the $29 one does. It only seems to be affecting people who upgraded, something with it not liking the 10.5 Guest Account.

If it's preinstalled, everything I have read says no issues. It's only if the Guest account is enabled and used with some upgraded 10.5 SL upgrades.

Specs:
    Leopard didn't have such serious flaws, but it had many eccentricites before 10.5.3. Much moreso than 10.6, which has been relatively stable - for me at least.

Only problem I had with SL is iMOVIE crashing. But I send the reports to Apple and now currently downloading an update.
    27' iMac i5 2.7 10.7.1  1TB HD  16GB DDR3 - AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB - Magic Trackpad * White iPhone 4s 16GB  iPad 2 64GB  iPod Nano 1st Generation  iPod Nano 6th Generation  iPod Touch 1st Generation  MacBook Unibody 1st Generation 

Thread Information