New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Future Ipod Pricedrop?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oldnews

oldnews is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz

Maybe now that the PSP is out, maybe there's a chance that Apple will drop the price of their iPods. Maybe even the Ipod Photo knowing the PSP has both capabilities as the Ipod Photo and more.

Just a thought.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

The PSP is huge compared to the iPod. I don't really view them as competitors.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
oldnews

oldnews is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz

I just thought maybe since they roughly target the same audience that more people would buy the PSP knowing that it can do everything a Ipod Photo could do and more.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

They totally don't target the same market. Not even close which is why I don't think Apple will take any response to the PSP.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
zap2

i was under the imperession that the ipod photo had much much much more hard drive room then the psp
QUOTE Thanks
iDVFH.

But let's be serious..the PSP is bigger, more bulky, "bad batches" from what other people are saying on another forum, and cannot have that much hard drive..I like the lower graphics on Nintendo Advances and what not..thats what its for..its simple to play and you don't need hardcore graphics to have a good time..i still think atari games..and that game Brick on my 3G..addicting lol..a game called Gauntlet for REGULAR nintendo is greatt
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb
They totally don't target the same market.
I think it overlaps a little bit, but even though it is the same market each device isn't a replacement for the other, people will want to have both.
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap2
i was under the imperession that the ipod photo had much much much more hard drive room then the psp
I don't think the PSP has a hard drive at all-- specs on the playstation website suggest that you can play music from memory stick or a UMD. (both proprietary Sony formats). So your music play is akin to a flash based unit (like the shuffle) or a CD player. I don't think anyone is going to spend $300 just to use it as a music player. Cool device though. I'd wait a bit until the first production run bugs are worked out though, if you are thinking of buying one.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I read on a website that Steve Jobs is closely watching the release of the PSP, because he wants to see the potential Apple would have, if they were to make an iPod video. But I think even though the PSP and iPod walk the same line in some instances; they are still very different to one another. I don't think, we'll be seeing a lot of posting going on about "Should I get an iPod photo or a PSP?" At least, I don't think that I could compare the two, because they are so different in their purpose.
QUOTE Thanks
zap2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan828
I don't think the PSP has a hard drive at all-- specs on the playstation website suggest that you can play music from memory stick or a UMD. (both proprietary Sony formats). So your music play is akin to a flash based unit (like the shuffle) or a CD player. I don't think anyone is going to spend $300 just to use it as a music player. Cool device though. I'd wait a bit until the first production run bugs are worked out though, if you are thinking of buying one.

yet another of many reasons not to get it
QUOTE Thanks
Tuned MP5T

I have the PSP and I must say its pretty impressive. Everything is save on the memory stick. I'm thinking of getting iPSP for my Mac mini which will let me put AAC files on the PSP. For days when I don't feel like carrying both Mini iPod and PSP.
QUOTE Thanks
mcsenerd

mcsenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD

I haven't tried iPSP...but I got Nullriver's PSPWare for my Mini to pair up with my PSP and I must say...it's pretty slick. Think of it functioning like a syncing program for your phone except it works with your PSP...that's how it works. However it handles all the movie conversions for the device. The only thing I'm kinda bummed about is that I've converted all of my music to AAC and that won't sync (at least I haven't figured out how to get it to with PSPWare yet) with the PSP (mp3 or ATRAC only). All the peeps saying that the PSP is bad is just sour grapes...trust me...it will sell well...it will have a large game library...it will hurt Nintendo in a serious way with the older demographic of gamer. Unless...Nintendo does some serious changin' in their attitudes toward the older gamer. I'm 30 years old and I'll take some mobile SOCOM or GTA or a real Final Fantasy whatever over silly dating simulators, minigame collections, and N64 platformer rehashes. I don't want to be jacking around with a dang stylus when I'm mobile gaming anyway...it's just another piece to get lost.
QUOTE Thanks
johnnyluu

johnnyluu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned MP5T
I have the PSP and I must say its pretty impressive. Everything is save on the memory stick. I'm thinking of getting iPSP for my Mac mini which will let me put AAC files on the PSP. For days when I don't feel like carrying both Mini iPod and PSP.
So from a guy that actually owns one, could you tell me how long you're getting your battery to last with average use? Everything I've read so far suggests the bettery life of the PSP is crap.

I say, "Unless it causes death, it's not a problem!".
http://johnny.persistentperil.net
QUOTE Thanks
mcsenerd

mcsenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluu
...Everything I've read so far suggests the bettery life of the PSP is crap.
Well...my question is how many 30+ year-olds (which I think are the prime-time audience for this device right now...that being the 25-35 age group) can actually game on a portable device for over 6 and a half hours and not have either serious arthritis pain in their hands or bleeding eyeballs? Anyone? I'm thinking not a whole bunch of them...at least I can't do it...even on a GBA SP I have to put the dang thing down after awhile. I have never played it until it died...ever...maybe it has something to do with having a family and a real life...who knows? Look...the PSP is not an iPod...and it's not going to be an iPod killer either (at least not in its current incarnation), it's a game system and video player and/or quasi-wannabe-media player. I don't care if it can't play the latest album from eminem for the next 22 hours...because I don't intend for it to be used for that.

I do intend for it to play an occassional movie or two while I'm between flights at the airport. I do intend to be able to play some serious games from time to time. I do intend to listen to some music on it from time when I'm traveling. Does the battery last long enough for these tasks? YES. I've gotten it to last around 6 and a half hours of total gaming before needing a charge. Now that's not all at once mind you...but over a period of a few days...once again...because I don't veg out and game for hours upon hours at a time...something about the motivation of not gettin any from the wife seems to have that effect. If battery life is such a problem...here's an earth shattering newsflash...buy another one! They're replaceable...without a screwdriver mind you, and I'm sure that some third party manufacturer is going to come out with larger replacement battery in the near future anyway.

No electronic item I've ever seen was perfect...and that even goes for iPods...there's always room for improvement or the next big breakthrough in some technology. Here's the way I really see it for the PSP. Will the PSP kill Nintendo? No...not at the current price point. However, it will capture a healthy percentage of their sales due to the fact that they now have true competition for the older mobile gamer (they, being Nintendo, only sold a system to me several times over because there was no other choice, and I'm sure there are other gamers who'd agree). Now some of these gamers will be new gamers...peep who never bought a GBA or SP because they didn't really find Mario's golden coins or Tigger's Big Adventure to be that enthralling, but now they have a choice for adult games...and its the PSP. One more thought before I depart...has there ever been a M rated GB, GBA, or DS game? I don't know...but I bet you'll see plenty on the PSP...nuff said.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

I can remember a while back, when ipod photo was announced, steve said the ipod line would NEVER support video of any kind as it is a fairly useless feature, and he's right, I have a 36" sony tv, if I wanna watch a dvd, I'll watch it there, not on something that fits in the palm of my hand. yes, I have big hands.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Possible iTunes subscription service! | Woot, Tiger coming mid-April (maybe) »