New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

13" Macbook Pro missing the audio input port

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

livinitup1

livinitup1 is on a distinguished road

After looking closely at each side of the 13" Macbook Pro I noticed something that most people may not have noticed at first glance. There is a missing audio input jack and there is only the headphone jack. It may not be something a lot of people miss or even notice but it may affect some people. I believe what they did was combine input and output channels to that jack. If you look at the 15" and 17" models you'll notice that there are 2 seperate ports for audio input and output. I'm wondering how this will change things, if it changes things at all. All the description says is: "Combined optical digital output/headphone out (user-selectable audio analog line in)" In other words, the only way you can input and output audio at the same time is if you have a headset.

The only known problem I know it can present is when I want to output sound over the speakers while inputting sound into recorder software? How do I do this? Maybe someone can test it out when they get their 13" Macbook Pro. I wonder why they only did this on the 13" Pro?

October 2008 version

June 2009 version
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Can confirm that on the Apple website, it says 'Audio In / Out'...

Good find livinitup1! How weird!!
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

This has been in a lot of blogs today as people have been receiving early models for testing. It's apparently a necessity to save space for all the additions. I suppose as long as there are 2-to-1 adapters for headsets it shouldn't be an issue for the vast majority, but it does detract a little from it being a "Pro" when capabilities are stripped away.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
loco_gallo

loco_gallo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook aluminium 2,4ghz 2gb ram 250gb hdd and enlightened keyboard

there is one but its actually inside the audio out.
i plugged my iphone earplugs (with the microphone in it), and it had the microphone capability as well as the remote push button from the earplug..

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco_gallo View Post
there is one but its actually inside the audio out.
i plugged my iphone earplugs (with the microphone in it), and it had the microphone capability as well as the remote push button from the earplug..

That's all good and all but I think the issue is what happens if they need them separate for some reason.
QUOTE Thanks
livinitup1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
That's all good and all but I think the issue is what happens if they need them separate for some reason.
Correct, I'm not sure if it only works for both output and input via headset or if the port switches between output and input modes when it detects an incoming frequency. For instance, if I plugged in a microphone to the port will it automatically switch to being an audio input port, and while this is happening can I still play music through my laptop speakers? Then, when I use headphones will it automatically act as a regular audio output port or will I need to switch this functionality back and forth using software on the Macbook?

Wait, what if I use a headset that has cords for both the output and input ports, like many out there, what do I do then? This may affect me in the future when I use Rosetta Stone and plug my headset into the computer; I'm not sure if it has 2 jacks to allow the headset to work or 1.

Apple hasn't said anything about this whatsoever but this change definitely raises a few questions.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Either way it's BS, and I'm glad my 13 inch alumbook has both. You need input and output separate if you are recording into your laptop and want a monitor in the headphones (i.e. with vocal tracks) and sorry kids, your iPhone earbuds with a mic don't cut it.
QUOTE Thanks
johnnyluu

johnnyluu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
Either way it's BS, and I'm glad my 13 inch alumbook has both. You need input and output separate if you are recording into your laptop and want a monitor in the headphones (i.e. with vocal tracks) and sorry kids, your iPhone earbuds with a mic don't cut it.
I suppose Apple is assuming that anyone doing professional or home recording studio work would be using a USB or Firewire multichannel audio I/O device.

I say, "Unless it causes death, it's not a problem!".
http://johnny.persistentperil.net
QUOTE Thanks
gixxersean

gixxersean will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: ::24" 2.8ghz iMac w/ nVidia 8800GS::2.4Ghz Unibody Macbook::

Apple did a great job. They lowered the price, added an sd card slot, and brought firewire to the 13" Aluminum. Yes you did lose an audio input jack, but there is always give and take.

No matter what apple puts out someone will complain. Be happy with what you have and if it's imperative to have a separate audio in then buy the 15"
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluu View Post
I suppose Apple is assuming that anyone doing professional or home recording studio work would be using a USB or Firewire multichannel audio I/O device.
Agreed. Worst case you have to buy an iMic audio adapter for $39. But with firewire 800 back on the scene, you can at least grab one of the more professional firewire interfaces...
QUOTE Thanks
livinitup1

I still have yet to use Firewire or find a device that uses it so it didn't matter much to me. I am glad for all of you guys who need it that finally got it. The SD slot is cool, now I don't need to bring my USB camera connector with me.
QUOTE Thanks
JAJones124

JAJones124 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 13"/2.53GHz/4GB/320GB & 2009 Mini 2.53GHz/4GB/320GB

In the WWDC keynote they said that less than 1% of 13" owers actually used the audio input jack. Also, space is so limited on the 13" MBP the SD card does not fully insert into the body of the notebook. About half of the card sticks out.

AppleInsider | 13-inch MacBook Pro teardown reveals "unimaginative" SD Card slot

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJones124 View Post
In the WWDC keynote they said that less than 1% of 13" owers actually used the audio input jack. Also, space is so limited on the 13" MBP the SD card does not fully insert into the body of the notebook. About half of the card sticks out.

AppleInsider | 13-inch MacBook Pro teardown reveals "unimaginative" SD Card slot
Actually that quote is referring to the ExpressCard slot on past 15' MBPs, not the audio input on the MBs. I'm pretty sure the lack of separate audio input/output jacks was conveniently left out of the keynote presentation.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
quentin123

quentin123 is on a distinguished road

I think it's a logical choice as you're not going to record something while listening to something with headphones
QUOTE Thanks
JAJones124

JAJones124 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 13"/2.53GHz/4GB/320GB & 2009 Mini 2.53GHz/4GB/320GB

thanks for the correction fleurya. went back and rewatched

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple releases Leopard and Snow Leopard "Performance Update" | New Mac Pros »