New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple, others sued over hard drive size claims

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Source: MacMinute.com

Apple, others sued over hard drive size claims
September 18, 2003 - 17:24 EDT A group of computer owners has filed a class action lawsuit against Apple and other personal computers, claiming that their advertising deceptively overstates the true capacity of their hard drives. "According to the lawsuit, computer hard drive capacities are described in promotional material in decimal notation, but the computer reads and writes data to the drives in a binary system," reports Reuters. "The result is that a hard drive described as being 20 gigabytes would actually have only 18.6 gigabytes of readable capacity." Others named in the suit, which was filed earlier this week in Los Angeles Superior Court, are Dell, Gateway, Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Sharp, Sony and Toshiba. The lawsuit asks for an injunction against the purportedly unfair marketing practices, an order requiring the defendants to disclose their practices to the public, restitution, disgorgement of ill-gotten profits and attorneys' fees.

My Comments: Ok I do agree I think they should be a bit more upfront with the sizes of the hard drives.. it surprises me everytime for a couple seconds.. then I remember that fact and then I go on. I do not agree about restitution or disgorgement, but I do agree about the attorney's fees and the days in court that these people missed work.. other than that.. it's like Apple Corp. wanting a piece of the pie... it's like many of the lawsuits against Microsoft..
QUOTE Thanks
sKaD

sKaD is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram

That's ghey, they shouldn't have even bothered with it, so if they missed work that's their fault.

People are just wanting to find a cheap way to become rich. It's pathetic.

The judge, probably knowing nothing about computers will most likely give into the "others" favor >.<

sKaD
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

I guess nobody reads the fine print these days. Taken directly from the label on my iBook box (as a numbered "footnote" to the hard drive specifications): "1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less".

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

You know I have never thought about HD space much after they jumped from like 5Gb to 60Gb what does it matter? so its like 1 or 2 GB behind what it says.. its a aprox. They get the drives from the factory that way, thats the way they advertise them! Would they rather want apple to put on the display 18.6 GB? then they would get pist its actually 18.652123445, tis a load.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

i remember when i first went from an old 2gb gateway pc my family had to a 27gb dell about 5 or 6 years ago and it was confusin the hell outta me as to why it only said like 25.27 or whatever it was but now with drives being so big and so cheap it doesnt matter. my powerbook has a 40gb on it which is actually only 37.25 but then i have a 120gb firewire drive right next to me so it doesnt really matter
QUOTE Thanks
Xer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite
You know I have never thought about HD space much after they jumped from like 5Gb to 60Gb what does it matter? so its like 1 or 2 GB behind what it says.. its a aprox. They get the drives from the factory that way, thats the way they advertise them! Would they rather want apple to put on the display 18.6 GB? then they would get pist its actually 18.652123445, tis a load.
Yah, i totally agree but with that said, the reason why the HD doesn't reflect it's true capacity is because of the file system on the disk it'self. [ But that's only a tiny explanation ]. File Systems can take up a marginal space. But with that said if they are referring to the HD which also contains the Operating System... then the 1.4Gig in question, lost - is pretty self explanatory.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of

Don't these people also realize that EVERYONE is being wronged equally? If no one else is suing.. perhaps they are wrong. Or neglecting that, wont EVERYONE have to get the same reward for this wronging? it just doesn't make much sense. No one else cares, do us all a favor fix your genetic defect by artificially selecting yourself out of the gene pool
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

good point. if they do win i want a share of the cash though =)
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Yes, this is not like a drug lawsuit which is what they seem to try to make this into. Not a select population was lied to and "misled', not just a few people who took this information expect it to cure their HD problems. EVERYONE did, I see no case, its so crazy.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

what are they trying to get the companies on....it cant be false advertising since they always put the 1gb=1 million bytes (actual formatted capacity less).....there are no grounds for this case.
QUOTE Thanks
Xer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
what are they trying to get the companies on....it cant be false advertising since they always put the 1gb=1 million bytes (actual formatted capacity less).....there are no grounds for this case.
I think you meant, 1gb = 1 billion bytes. Otherwise, spot on
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

yep a letter off. i was on a school retreat for 3 days so haven't been on a computer since then so im a little off on accuracy on everything. i was deprived
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

actually I am quite certain it is not them specifically that they are asking for restitution.. it's pretty much anybody that has purchased those companies hard drives that will benefit from it. Everyone will get a piece of the pie, but I don't think that's the point.. I would rather them spend that money on new packaging if indeed they have to change the info, and on new technology.. I don't feel like I was hurt in anyway, but I do think that they should explain the actual disk space a little better.. They want their drives to look bigger than they are.. that's marketing for you, but I agree.. it's not very fair marketing
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

The law suit is a big joke. Does it mean that I should get some money for every hard dirsk I have purchased over the years. I think not. As most of us computer people know. It depends on how the disk are formatted, inorder to figure out the size of available disk space.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Expo 2003 photos, keynote recap | Week in Review - 09/15/03-09/19/03 »