New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Powerbook G5 not likely soon...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MichaelSullivan

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-5559311.html

Intersting article. Doesn't look like a G5 processor will appear in our PB future before the end of the year, at the earliest.
QUOTE Thanks
Advert25

well i was planning on waiting for the new G5 17 inch powerbook to come out... but this almost changes my mind... they say the laptop would be bigger and heavier and louder with the G5 installed...hmmmmm
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

I don't think that Apple would make a G5 powerbook if it's going to be bigger. I should think that they will wait for the new chip, so it will be next year some time. Lets face it, with the iMac G5 they have had complaints about the noise of the fans. Even people returning the machines because of it, so imagine what it would be like with a G5 laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

why is it that a G5 powerbook is so flipping important? If it does the job then whats the difference?
QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

I imagine we will see a G5 powerbook at next years Mac Expo in January, similar to how we saw the MiniMac and ipod shuffle.
QUOTE Thanks
Advert25

Yeah I think im just going to go with the G4 17" Powerbook...I love everything about it! Plus im an impatient buyer.. I want it NOW NOW NOW!
QUOTE Thanks
iDVFH.

I know the 17'' PB is very useful when it comes to web design etc. But how does anyone carry that thing around..
QUOTE Thanks
Advert25

well I was in the mac store the other day and they have tons of Backpacks and things you can carry the 17 around in... Its actually not bad with the back pack version but I think I will just get the standard carry on bag. It has a nice padded shoulder strap so im not to worried. Im going on Vacation in 2 weeks so I cant wait to watch my DVD's on the Flight!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Hey, some people weight lift to build up muscles other people carry 17" powerbooks around. It's a sport thing, I think ?
QUOTE Thanks
Advert25

so is the 17 reeeeeally that heavy????... I just picked it up in the store and it didnt seem tooooo bad.
QUOTE Thanks
flyingpostman

Lets put it this way: Those of you with iMac G5's (such as myself) put your hand or face 6" from the screen. Feel that heat? I don't think they are going to get that chip in a laptop. If they do, you're going to have a portable heat source that will last about 45 minutes.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Yer, Be really cool for taking camping, you'd be able to fry eggs on it. :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
Eleven

Well as a multiple Windows laptop owner I can tell that there is two trends.

One is bound to produce high performance laptop that are more of desktop replacement, like my P35 Toshiba 3.2.

That thing is UGLY, NOISY and never leaves my desk.

Then there is Sony's approach, generalizing the use of mobile designed processors that are designed to run as cool as possible and allow thinner, more silent laptops.

I will be getting my new PB 17 on monday and I think Apple and Sony have a very similar approach, looking for slick, silent laptops.

So the G4 would be to the G5 what the Pentium M is to the Pentium, less powerfull but still plenty sufficient for a laptop.

And I think that my Toshiba "lap"top is more of a Windows counterpart for the iMac G5, even though it's called a laptop, it's still more that I'd want to carry around and since it doesn't leave the desk anyways, at least it has a good keyboard and can have a bigger display.

So basically, Apple has the G4 laptops for mobile users and the iMac G5 for a semi compact, heavy and noisy desktop replacement.

Makes sense?
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

I remember when they brought out the G4 that got nicknamed 'windtunnel' . I don't suppose they will be wanting to bring out a laptop that gets nicknamed 'Brick' or 'Breeze block" . :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
Subzero3886

When the PB g5 comes out, it'll be a downgraded chip because...yea all of those problems and for advert25, compared to 17'' laptops from companies like dell, sony, and toshiba, the 17'' PB is rather light for its size: ONlY 6.9 pounds.- dell INSPIRON 9300 weighs 7.8 pounds
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mini - Boost? | Dvorak: Apple to go Intel within 18 Months »