Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
    Post The Beatles sue Apple over iPod, iTunes
    Source: MacMinute.com

The Beatles sue Apple over iPod, iTunes
    September 12, 2003 - 00:01 EDT Apple is being sued by Apple Corps., the parent company of The Beatles, over the iPod and the iTunes Music Store. According to Fox News, the breach of contract case was filed a short time ago in London's High Court of Justice, but was just served to Apple in California in the last couple of days. This is the third time Apple has been sued by the band. The Beatles filed suit against the company in 1981 over the use of its corporate name. The result of the suit was a huge cash settlement and a promise that Apple would stay out of the music industry. Years later, "when computers starting having music come through attachable speakers," The Beatles again sued*and won, this time*over breach of a trademark agreement since Apple had agreed to steer clear of the music business. It is estimated*that Apple has paid US$50 million so far to the band.

My Comments: I knew there was a reason why Beatles music just does not appeal to me anymore.. I just couldnt figure it out since I used to really like them... well now it is all explained to me!

Specs:
    MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
    Wow, thats bullsh*t. If anything it popularizes the two of them mutually.. Boo to beatles.

[edited my own profanity]

Specs:
    1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
    The beatles? Aren't those guys dead? I'm lost and it's too late to look at the supportive link. I'll check it after work tomorrow.

night

Specs:
    Nope not all of them yet. Still alive and kicking. Doesn't Michael Jackson own all those songs though? Thought they lost the rights when they sold them!

Xer0
    Quote Originally Posted by Graphite
    Nope not all of them yet. Still alive and kicking. Doesn't Michael Jackson own all those songs though? Thought they lost the rights when they sold them!
    He sold half of them to SONY to cover his debts.

Specs:
    G52x1.81.53208x+/-
    ya, its a bunch of bs. theres too much of this going on anymore

Specs:
    Post Further details emerge on Beatles-Apple lawsuit
    This is a follow up to the original post:

Source: MacMinute.com

Further details emerge on Beatles-Apple lawsuit
    September 12, 2003 - 15:44 EDT As expected, a representative for Apple Corps, the parent company of The Beatles, confirmed Friday that the company has sued Apple Computer over its iTunes Music Store. CNET News.com reports that Geoff Baker, spokesman for Apple Corps, said the suit was filed two months ago in London High Court. "Specifically, (the) complaint is made over the use by Apple Computer of the word 'Apple' and apple logos in conjunction with its new application for downloading pre-recorded music from the Internet," Baker said in a statement. Apple responded later in the day: "Over a decade ago, Apple signed an agreement with Apple Corps, a business controlled by the Beatles and their heirs, which specified the rights each company would have to use the 'Apple' trademark," Apple said in a statement. "Unfortunately, Apple and Apple Corps now have differing interpretations of this agreement and will need to ask a court to resolve this dispute."

My Comments: It's getting interesting!

Specs:
    G52x1.81.53208x+/-
    i can understand the downloading music thing, but the ipod is hardware. how do they figure this was breaking the contract?

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    This is just deep mess. It appears (IMO) that Apple corp. wants a piece of the pie. I really don't think they have a leg to stand on, but that depends on how the judge see it. Apple is not creating music, and does not sale any midi hareware. So I don't see the problem. Iff Sony does not have a contract to sell music through the Apple store that is their loss.

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Is Apple Corp is business to do any thing look at their web site (Apple Corp)

Specs:
    They probably exist just to be a thorn in Apple's side... Oh yeah.. and to earn the Beatles more money..

Specs:
    So why don't they change their name to Apple-Macintosh.. or Macintosh..

Specs:
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Graphite
    So why don't they change their name to Apple-Macintosh.. or Macintosh..
    I like Apple better than Apple-Macintosh or Macintosh. It would take them to long to build brand loyally again with a new name.

Specs:
    Cool
    Why hadn't Apple Corp gone after these guys.

Specs:
    They could do Apple-Macintosh, but definitely not Macintosh.. they could still keep their logo, but.. Apple is so much more.. friendly And from the sound of it, it looks like Apple Corp. is suing because of a past contract saying that Apple-Mac would not get into the music business.. well Apple Corp thinks that iPods and iTunes store etc is getting into the music business. So as Apple-Mac says it looks like there is a conflict of interpretation on that contract and we'll see what the judge has to say on this one.. since I havent read the contract.. I can't say whether or not Apple-Mac did break the contract or Apple Corp is just trying to stick it to them.. It'll be interesting to see the way this plays out.

Thread Information