New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

BestBuy to stop selling powerbooks?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mdavis71

mdavis71 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook

I've been looken on bestbuy's website for the past week and have noticed that when you search for powerbook's it brings them up in the search but if you click on the link's they all have the pages removed, i've emailed them buy they just gave me a long winded answer that didnt even answer my question, so does anyone know if BestBuy is going to stop selling the powerbooks? or what? i read somewhere that whenever apple comes out with a newer product bestbuy just lets there inventory run out a lil in advance so that there not stuck with them.

any comments?
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

You're absolutely right about draining inventory before a new revision is released. New PowerBooks in the next month, maybe month and a half maybe.
EDIT: I hope. :teen:
QUOTE Thanks
mdavis71

I called up BestBuy here is what i was told, they where recalled or discontinued, I'm guessing where getting really close to our new powerbooks :miner:
QUOTE Thanks
jbsengineer

Just went to the BB site and tried it. Did the same thing. Interesting.

When they do the speed bump does anyone have an opinion on a price change???

Josh
QUOTE Thanks
Pizza God

I thought you said in another thread that you worked for Best Buy...
QUOTE Thanks
mdavis71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza God
I thought you said in another thread that you worked for Best Buy...
Who me?
QUOTE Thanks
jessica

I was at best buy today. i asked for a powerbook and was told they were all recalled due to excessive heat issues.
They pointed a toshiba out, the new ones that are supposed to have superior battery life. They said, if I want a powerbook and can't have one, that was a comparable notebook.

I think I wanted to cry.
I've heard of the heat issues, but I wondered if it was really all that bad.
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

No...they are not all recalled due to excessive heat issues...The 15 inch WAS recalled, due to a battery problem, in which case they just send you a replacement battery...nothing wrong with the computer.
QUOTE Thanks
Avid6eek

Avid6eek is an unknown at this point

I'm no engineer, and I haven't been following Mac news very long, but if you can't keep a G4 cool in a Powerbook, how are they going to put a G5 in there? It won't be a slim 1" notebook anymore.

Desktop Specs: Core 2 Quad Q6600@ 4.0Ghz | Asus P5E X38 Motherboard | 4GB PC8000 DDRII | EVGA GeForce 8800GTX | CL x-Fi Fatal1ty | 4 x Hitachi 73GB 15,000rpm SAS HDs (RAID 0) | Adaptec 3805 SAS Controller | Dual Sony 16X DVD-RWs | Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid6eek
I'm no engineer, and I haven't been following Mac news very long, but if you can't keep a G4 cool in a Powerbook, how are they going to put a G5 in there? It won't be a slim 1" notebook anymore.
The fine folks at Apple have called it "the mother of all engineering challenges" or something like that. There won't be a G5 PB anytime soon, I'd imagine. Dual-core G4s probably, which will run faster, cooler, and more efficiently as far as battery life goes.
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

Don't know much about powerbooks, but I have a HP 3 Ghz P4 that puts out about as much heat as a space heater, they have 3.2 Ghz models that are pretty much the same, but failed at trying to put out a 3.4 Ghz model because of the excessive heat. Mine has a dual fan ducted system that runs all the time and REALLY kicks into high gear doing any graphics intensive things (like playing Halflife 2). It also weighs about 13 pounds and has a battery life under normal use of about an hour and a half.

My understanding is that G5s are really hot though. I can't imagine a thin and light notebook with a decent cooling system on it, but apple engineers seem quite clever at times
QUOTE Thanks
robbym

robbym is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 Core, MacBook Air 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica
I was at best buy today. i asked for a powerbook and was told they were all recalled due to excessive heat issues.
They pointed a toshiba out, the new ones that are supposed to have superior battery life. They said, if I want a powerbook and can't have one, that was a comparable notebook.

I think I wanted to cry.
I've heard of the heat issues, but I wondered if it was really all that bad.

I've been to best Buy in person in the last few days and they have powerbooks in stock and are in the process of depleting stock of the old iBooks for the newer ones. As for the Toshiba, they've really been pushing sales of the Satellite M30 for some reason? As for the comparison, there isn't one, I wouldn't waste my money.

As for heat, all notebooks get hot, it's unavoidable when you pack so much powerful circuitry into designs with the size, power and weight restrictions consumers demand. From experience, I have found that Mac notebooks have an advantage over PC notebooks in that they are not as susceptible to damage or malfunction from heat. My guess is that this is probably due to differences in architechtural design between PC and Mac circuit-boards and the use of superior components in Apple's higher end products.

The problem with PC notebooks is that quality drops-off when OEM's put high-end Intel chips into systems with inferior components and cost saving designs. While Intel's centrino chips mark a significant shift in energy and processing efficiency, OEM's have yet to design a decent portable product that uses it's full potential.

Apple's use of RISC has always been so far ahead of anything CISC manufacturer's could produce for the consumer market. I wouldn't be surprised in a few years to see PC OEM's abandon CISC altogether and we'll RISC based Windows machines in the not so far off future.

Edit: I know people have been saying this for many years, however it's just a matter of time before the cost effective limit of producing and selling CISC is reached and other technologies become necessary. The reality is that so long as there are hordes of people willing to pay for inferior "cost-reduced" products there will be companies mass producing and selling it.

Bringing this full circle, if you buy a powerbook you can relax in knowing you have the best OEM-produced portable available today. Just make sure you buy the extended warranty too.
QUOTE Thanks
Avid6eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbym
Apple's use of RISC has always been so far ahead of anything CISC manufacturer's could produce for the consumer market. I wouldn't be surprised in a few years to see PC OEM's abandon CISC altogether and we'll RISC based Windows machines in the not so far off future.
I would consider the CISC world to be ahead in terms of processor technology. Please explain your feeling a little more....just want to see where your coming from.

Desktop Specs: Core 2 Quad Q6600@ 4.0Ghz | Asus P5E X38 Motherboard | 4GB PC8000 DDRII | EVGA GeForce 8800GTX | CL x-Fi Fatal1ty | 4 x Hitachi 73GB 15,000rpm SAS HDs (RAID 0) | Adaptec 3805 SAS Controller | Dual Sony 16X DVD-RWs | Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers
QUOTE Thanks
robbym

robbym is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 Core, MacBook Air 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid6eek
I would consider the CISC world to be ahead in terms of processor technology. Please explain your feeling a little more....just want to see where your coming from.

Theoretically, this is is a case where less is more. Rather than wasting time and energy processing complicated instruction sets it makes sense to save resources by processing only what is absolutely necessary. This has been the logic behind high-end servers for many years and is the logic for emerging information, wireless and high-speed internet technologies.

Perhaps I could have better separated my theoretical thoughts from my practical thoughts.

Theoretically I can see IT reaching a point where programs will become so complex and so much information will be available everywhere all the time that RISC or some derivitive will become a necessary standard for information processing. When this happens all the very complicated high tech CISC hardware will eventually be rendered useless, so while it may be very advanced and useful today ultimately CISC has a fatal flaw. This why I said that Apple and RISC are ahead of CISC OEM's. I was not referring to technological advance in terms of complexity as is the case with CISC today, I was referring to advance in terms of the simplicity, survival and evolution of the RISC design.

In practical terms I believe that today, RISC is the better approach for portable computing by design due to the special constraints, hazards and costs inherant to this type of computing.

In regards to home use desktop computing today, I too believe that CISC is currently more technologically advanced/complex and as we have not yet reached the above mentioned theoretical breaking point my own desktop computer is a custom built P4. Hence my avatar.

I hope this clarifies my comments.

Edit: In simple terms, I believe each type of computing (e.g. home use, business server, portable computing) can benefit from either CISC or RISC architectures. My own choice is to use RISC for portable computing and high volume server functions and CISC for basic home computing.
QUOTE Thanks
Avid6eek

Thanks for the explanation. I just didn't know where you were coming from, and I did notice your Avatar...that's what got me a little lost.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« apple is up to something... | NEW POWERBOOKS! Price drops! »