New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Snow Leopard coming in Q1 2009?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

livinitup1

livinitup1 is on a distinguished road

I read this yesterday and it seems pretty valid. Because of Apple's strict deadlines for certain fuctions that must go in Snow Leopard they have been able to let Snow Leopard be released sooner than we thought. Previously most people assumed that SL would be released at WWDC 09' but not it will be even sooner.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) Due in 1st Quarter of 2009? - Mac Rumors
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Hmmm, well as you say, it seems fairly legit considering it came from one of the directors of engineering.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I'll be first in line - even at full price. Would love to see a version of Leopard that runs just as fast as Tiger did.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
livinitup1

You think Leopard runs faster than Tiger? I used Tiger for a few months before upgrading to Leopard and Leopard seemed really fast to me. I guess it depends on RAM and the amount of space left on the HDD.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I'll be first in line - even at full price. Would love to see a version of Leopard that runs just as fast as Tiger did.
Theoretically, it could be faster than Tiger

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
dabears34

dabears34 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4

Well we will see. I think with mobile me fresh in their minds it wouldn't be out of the question for Apple to push back the release date.
QUOTE Thanks
CurtisJC

CurtisJC is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MB 2.1GHz, 4Gb RAM, 120Gb white

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinitup1 View Post
I read this yesterday and it seems pretty valid. Because of Apple's strict deadlines for certain fuctions that must go in Snow Leopard they have been able to let Snow Leopard be released sooner than we thought. Previously most people assumed that SL would be released at WWDC 09' but not it will be even sooner.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) Due in 1st Quarter of 2009? - Mac Rumors
I read the same article, as this is my first mac i just started with Leopard, I've pretty much just gotten used to it so i hope not much will be changed, but I'm all for the tiger speed my mac expert friend has informed me that it was fairly faster and has been talking about Snow Leopard for awhile now .

My mum is lvl 70 in WoW, how cool is she
A PC you say, eww don't touch it, it may have rabies
To be followed http://twitter.com/CurtisJC
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinitup1 View Post
You think Leopard runs faster than Tiger? I used Tiger for a few months before upgrading to Leopard and Leopard seemed really fast to me. I guess it depends on RAM and the amount of space left on the HDD.
No doubt about it, there was a slight performance hit going from Tiger to Leopard. It was also evident in boot-up times. Boots that were around 15 seconds (20 seconds tops) turned into 45 seconds to a minute or more on the same machine.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
livinitup1

Oh, I didn't really realize it. There is one thing I miss about Tiger: When in Front Row if I started a .avi or .mpg movie, exited front row and came back to front row to play the same movie it would give the option to start the movie from the beginning or play from where I left off.

This isn't in Leopard at all and I wonder if it will ever come back. This option on comes up now when I play a DVD that I already started. It was just annoying when I'd have to try and remember where I left off each time I had to leave the movie. This is something rather small but Apple still hasn't fixed this due to Front Row's altered structure. Hopefully Snow Leopard really adds faster speeds and stability to the OS.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Yeah, I liked that Front Row transition effect too. I think they changed it to resemble the AppleTV. I've read a number of similar complaints - apparently, there's even a way to restore the Tiger version back to Leopard, but it can cause some unintended issues as a result. It's a shame though, that was some sweet eye candy.

QUOTE Thanks
natenmaste

natenmaste has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: alienware,mbp,imac(3),blackjack,Hp running macintosh,

Quote:
dont we all
QUOTE Thanks
walkum13

walkum13 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz/Iphone 4/Ipod 4th Gen/More Coming I'm sure, too bad for my wallet ;)

Since my first OS is Leopard I have a question. Does Apple release yearly OS? Judging from the chart, I'd say no but still, every 2 years is pretty often. I understand that Snow Leopard is going to be a big jump from Leopard but if it wasn't that big of a deal would it be free? For instance, if you had bought Tiger and then Tiger/x86 came out was it free?

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkum13 View Post
Since my first OS is Leopard I have a question. Does Apple release yearly OS? Judging from the chart, I'd say no but still, every 2 years is pretty often. I understand that Snow Leopard is going to be a big jump from Leopard but if it wasn't that big of a deal would it be free? For instance, if you had bought Tiger and then Tiger/x86 came out was it free?
Tiger/x86 only shipped with new machines, there was no retail version, because it was the only version of OS X that ran on Intel at the time.

Apple doesn't have a set schedule per se, but several of the major releases were on 18 month development cycles. Leopard was the glaring exception as it took over two years (as I recall).

Typically, a major release runs about $129. There's been a lot of speculation as to the price of Snow Leopard though, since it's not a "feature" release. If I had to guess, I'd bet it will be less expensive.

QUOTE Thanks
dabears34

dabears34 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4

That would be great if they lowered the price.
QUOTE Thanks
walkum13

walkum13 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz/Iphone 4/Ipod 4th Gen/More Coming I'm sure, too bad for my wallet ;)

Quote:
There's been a lot of speculation as to the price of Snow Leopard though, since it's not a "feature" release. If I
Can you give me an example of a feature release? I understand that Snow Leopard is more about memory management/usage but what were some major features added from Tiger to Leopard??

Edit: nm I decided to do the work myself and look it up. Are there any ideas as what might be to come in version 10.7?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cheaper iPhone? | Zune HD Confirmed »