New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

iTunes days numbered?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrChris

MrChris is a jewel in the roughMrChris is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac | iPhone 4

hey guys,

I came across this article earlier:

iTunes store shutdown feared

What do you guys think?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

In a word... boloney.

There's no way that Apple is just going to shut down a multi-million dollar successful business that is the fundamental driver of their iPod sales. No way, no how. This is nothing more than posturing and sable-rattling.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Forum Shark

Forum Shark is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)

iTunes is staying. It is one of Apple's giant money makers. If Apple dropped iTunes, where would everyone go to get their music. Amazon? xD

Please follow me to Twitter! http://twitter.com/ForumShark
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I agree, they may be saying iTunes is going to close its doors, but that can't happen, its to big of a revenue stream for the company.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

It's not multi million, it's multi billion. More music is sold on iTunes than anywhere in the world, and over 30% of Apple's revenue comes from iTunes.

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.
QUOTE Thanks
MrChris

MrChris is a jewel in the roughMrChris is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac | iPhone 4

I just don't see why record companies have to try and spoil a good thing by upping prices.

I have always said that the best way to stop piracy is to offer affordable media to people. This way it becomes a hassle to illegally download things and when you buy a movie/video/song legally you are more satisfied because it didn't cost an arm and a leg. I think Apple have hit the nail on the head with iTunes, 79p for a song is nothing, and the super fast delivery meaning I can have it on my Mac/iPhone/iPod in seconds is even more appealing.

I just hope one day record companies will see that they can survive and make a profit if they charge reasonable amounts for their media. This way more people will buy legit meaning revenues will increase, making everyone happy.

That's my thoughts anyway
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChris View Post
I just don't see why record companies have to try and spoil a good thing by upping prices.
It's called greed

Quote:
I have always said that the best way to stop piracy is to offer affordable media to people. This way it becomes a hassle to illegally download things and when you buy a movie/video/song legally you are more satisfied because it didn't cost an arm and a leg. I think Apple have hit the nail on the head with iTunes, 79p for a song is nothing, and the super fast delivery meaning I can have it on my Mac/iPhone/iPod in seconds is even more appealing.
I agree - and the music industry really missed the boat on the digital age. Their staunch refusal to accept the fact that physical media as a medium for the distribution of music is all but dead. They are stuck in this mindset that they can continue to resell their music over and over again as the formats and technology change.

When Napster surfaced, the recording industry's immediate reaction was to squash them legally. Instead, they should have embraced them and figured out a way to profit from it and control the distribution channel. Fortunately for Apple, they were just too short-sighted to realize this. So, they killed Napster and the masses moved over to P2P, where no one central entity can be held responsible for the content of the network. Again, the industry responded by trying to go after music traders using the legal system. This has proved to be both a costly and cumbersome process for the industry, yet they still continue to do it.

So, Apple stepped in with iPod/iTunes and opened up an easy, legal way for the distribution of digital media. Once again, instead of embracing this popular marketplace, the recording industry has spent a significant amount of time butting heads with Apple and trying to extract more profit.

It's like they just can't ever learn from their mistakes.

Quote:
I just hope one day record companies will see that they can survive and make a profit if they charge reasonable amounts for their media. This way more people will buy legit meaning revenues will increase, making everyone happy.

That's my thoughts anyway
I hope the recording labels start separating themselves from the likes of the RIAA. I hope they start to see that their roles have changed from a distribution network, to a marketing/promotional industry. In the digital age, any artist can record and easily distribute their music. Where they need help from large corporate entities is in getting their name and their music out into the public conscious.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Looks like iTunes is saved!
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

To be honest, I don't think it is a question of ease of use.

If you buy on iTunes you are limited on which devices you can use to play it. If you download pirated music you are not.

If you buy a genuine DVD you get all that 'You wouldn't steal a car' crap. If you download a film you are not.

If you buy a game like Spore you are limited on how many machines you can install it. If you download it you are not.

For some reason manufacturers seem to think making life harder for the genuine customer will make the pirates go away. Oddly enough it does not. It just annoys the genuine customers.

Not sure what the solution is - maybe just offering a good deal without too many restrictions.

Either way the rumour of closing iTunes made me stop and wonder what happens to all the music on my iPods? A scary thought. Not likely to happen but still a worrying thought that they would even suggest it.

Bad enough that they screwed the new iPods so they don't charge with any of my accessories (even the Apple ones), without suggesting that all of the music on them might become unplayable one day soon.

Don't even think that Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
god0fgod

god0fgod is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook White 2.13Ghz 160GB 10.6.4 (Buggy Version :() Snow Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk4 View Post
If you buy on iTunes you are limited on which devices you can use to play it. If you download pirated music you are not.
Well I've found programs that claim they can remove the FairPlay DRM protections. So people can use the itunes store and be able to use the music elsewhere as well. Don't know how easy to use these program are and if they work with itunes 8.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by god0fgod View Post
Well I've found programs that claim they can remove the FairPlay DRM protections. So people can use the itunes store and be able to use the music elsewhere as well. Don't know how easy to use these program are and if they work with itunes 8.
Note that any sort of software that breaks copy protection is illegal under the US DMCA - as such, we don't discuss these things on this forum.

QUOTE Thanks
god0fgod

god0fgod is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook White 2.13Ghz 160GB 10.6.4 (Buggy Version :() Snow Leopard

Oh okay. I get you. Not illegal to talk about surely but I respect that.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Would Apples itunes EULA prohibit such a thing?
QUOTE Thanks
dabears34

dabears34 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk4 View Post
To be honest, I don't think it is a question of ease of use.

If you buy a genuine DVD you get all that 'You wouldn't steal a car' crap. If you download a film you are not.

If you buy a game like Spore you are limited on how many machines you can install it. If you download it you are not.

For some reason manufacturers seem to think making life harder for the genuine customer will make the pirates go away. Oddly enough it does not. It just annoys the genuine customers.

Not sure what the solution is - maybe just offering a good deal without too many restrictions.

Either way the rumour of closing iTunes made me stop and wonder what happens to all the music on my iPods? A scary thought. Not likely to happen but still a worrying thought that they would even suggest it.

Bad enough that they screwed the new iPods so they don't charge with any of my accessories (even the Apple ones), without suggesting that all of the music on them might become unplayable one day soon.

Don't even think that Apple.
Exactly. Now i dont even have to post, you hit it all on the head.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I am surprised no one mentioned that I-Tunes just took the no. 1 spot away
from Walmart so much for end of days.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Microsoft Dropping Seinfeld | Apple Releases iTunes 4, QT 6.2, and iPod Update »