New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

iPod Flash (or is it Flash iPod)?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nightblade

I can't believe there's not already a topic about this. But yeah, that's likely to be the next product from Apple (after the half-a-grand computer, obviously). I mean, that's what everyone seems to be talking about nowadays when they mention upcoming Apple products. I'm not quite sure what they mean by the iPod Flash, but from what I've heard around the net, it'll be $99 (US). So, why so cheap? Well, apparently, it won't have a screen. ...Yeah, I'm not sure how it'll work either. But apparently, it's "Flash-based" (and I doubt it has anything to do with the Macromedia program/plugin with the same name).

So, what do people here know about it exactly?
QUOTE Thanks
zeppster

I doubt apple will sink that low. Flash players are just stupid.
QUOTE Thanks
Arleban

Flash players do not have a hard drive. Therefore it usually has a much smaller size limit. Those small usb keychain drives? Those are an example of a flash drive. I think the max size on those now are maybe 1.5 GB. I know I have seen a 1 GB for sale. It's more of a RAM drive.
QUOTE Thanks
zeppster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arleban
Flash players do not have a hard drive. Therefore it usually has a much smaller size limit. Those small usb keychain drives? Those are an example of a flash drive. I think the max size on those now are maybe 1.5 GB. I know I have seen a 1 GB for sale. It's more of a RAM drive.

Yeah but it still doesn't seem like something that Apple would make.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppster
Yeah but it still doesn't seem like something that Apple would make.

The same thing could be said about the $500 computer.
QUOTE Thanks
the_New_guy

the_New_guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;

they are trying to get there products in ever segment

Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in
QUOTE Thanks
zeppster

The $500 computer is understandable. But a flash ipod isn't. The Apple theory is "Make it small with huge capacity". A flash player just doesn't fit.
QUOTE Thanks
Arleban

Sorry Zeppster, I wasn't commenting on whether Apple would make it or not. I thought Nightblade was asking about how it worked.
QUOTE Thanks
Nightblade

Actually, yeah, I did want to know about how it worked. But now I know

And yeah, I also wanted to find out more about it in general, and what everyone here knew and thought about it.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

I doubt this 'flash ipod' is a real product, everything Ive heard and read about it has been that it is purely a rumor.
QUOTE Thanks
)(*

Ive seen flash drives that can hold around 80GB. But they cost around $10,000. Its called PuRam.

A flash drive is memory. Its a chip, but the only thing good about a flash drive is the incredibly fast access times.

A Hard Drive involves a hard disk. A large metal disk that spins and holds information.

Hard drives are cheaper and hold more. Flash drives cost more and hold less.

If this new Flash iPod were to happen for $99, the biggest drive it would have would be 128MB.

:batman:
QUOTE Thanks
zeppster

I guess I was wrong...
QUOTE Thanks
MickMAC

Yep!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Desolate One

You wouldn't be referring to this now would you?

http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/
QUOTE Thanks
stillimation

stillimation is on a distinguished road

the way i look at it is that the iPod is pretty expensive, and not every one has more than one gig of music, so this is to get the average joe into the Apple circle and when he like the shuffle, he is going to get more Mp3's and that means that he is going to get an iPod, and from there maby a PowerBook. that is just the way i see it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A Good Day To Be Canadian | Mac Mini Serving its purpose »