Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Specs:
    13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
    Microsoft Finally decides to ditch Windows Platform…
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7540282.stm

Microsoft Finally decides to ditch Windows Platform…
    Vikram Shah

good riddance!

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Antiglare)
    About time. Vista was a train wreck, maybe Microsoft will hit a home run with this new operating system. In my opinion they should base it off XP because that is my second favorite to Leopard. We'll see though, thanks for the post though!

Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    I see where Microsoft are coming from and it's a really good angle. The only catch is if they have many different so called servers based on one machine and if this one machine goes down, then big problems, well unless there are a few machines that have the same servers on them and are all constantly and simultaneously updated. Then it might work.

Overall anything to move away from Vista is a good thing. But XP did have it's good points and those shouldn't be lost either,

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeels90 View Post
    About time. Vista was a train wreck, maybe Microsoft will hit a home run with this new operating system. In my opinion they should base it off XP because that is my second favorite to Leopard. We'll see though, thanks for the post though!
    You know that Vista is based off of XP, right?

June 2007
    July 2009

Specs:
    Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    And XP is 85% win98...
    First came a shuffle. Then an 8gb 3rd gen nano.
    Next a macbook.
    Then an Ipod Touch. And a Nikon D300. Not an Apple but gets used with the macbook

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    No, it's really not, it's mostly Windows 2000 with a pretty face. Windows 2000 is based off the NT kernel, unlike 98 and its predecessors, which were based on the DOS kernel.

June 2007
    July 2009

Specs:
    Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD
    Either way, it's just regurgetated tripe!
    First came a shuffle. Then an 8gb 3rd gen nano.
    Next a macbook.
    Then an Ipod Touch. And a Nikon D300. Not an Apple but gets used with the macbook

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Antiglare)
    I know that Vista is based off XP I just really didn't like Vista, and I really liked XP. Sure they are similar but XP seemed far less buggy and way more simple than Vista. That's just my opinion though.

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    The phrase "Pipe Dream" comes to mind.....

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    On a serious note...

I think the importance of cloud computing has been waaay over stated. If cloud computing was really the future, then people would not download their emails to Apple Mail, Outlook or Entourage. If cloud computing was the future, we'd all stream movies rather than want to download them, or own the discs. We'd stream music, rather than download them. There wouldn't be 3,000 applications out there that help you grab online video content (like YouTube clips) rather than simply watching them on-demand.

You see there is an inherent distrust of virtual data, and I doubt this is going to go away for a looong time. People think that unless you have the data on your own HDD, there could be issues. Additionally, even with 100 Mbps bandwidth, the lag and latency is still going to be an issue. Are application like Photoshop really going to process all your needs on the web? What about Logic Pro or Final Cut? When you think a simple court subpoena forced google to hand over the IP addresses of everyone who'd viewed copywrited content on YouTube, do you really think we'll be trusting our photo-libraries, music compositions, school papers or anything else to MS, Google or even Apple?
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge

Specs:
    13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
    On a serious note...

I think the importance of cloud computing has been waaay over stated. If cloud computing was really the future, then people would not download their emails to Apple Mail, Outlook or Entourage. If cloud computing was the future, we'd all stream movies rather than want to download them, or own the discs. We'd stream music, rather than download them. There wouldn't be 3,000 applications out there that help you grab online video content (like YouTube clips) rather than simply watching them on-demand.

You see there is an inherent distrust of virtual data, and I doubt this is going to go away for a looong time. People think that unless you have the data on your own HDD, there could be issues. Additionally, even with 100 Mbps bandwidth, the lag and latency is still going to be an issue. Are application like Photoshop really going to process all your needs on the web? What about Logic Pro or Final Cut? When you think a simple court subpoena forced google to hand over the IP addresses of everyone who'd viewed copywrited content on YouTube, do you really think we'll be trusting our photo-libraries, music compositions, school papers or anything else to MS, Google or even Apple?
    I think you have the wrong idea (or maybe I do). I thought the only data that would be synced to a server or 'cloud' what be actual files made by the user and not applications etc…
    Vikram Shah

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by shahvikram123 View Post
    I think you have the wrong idea (or maybe I do). I thought the only data that would be synced to a server or 'cloud' what be actual files made by the user and not applications etc…
    I think the eventual idea is the latter, but the interim idea is the former. Even so, what I said is still relevant. People rarely even leave their emails on the server, much less any other applications.

The idea is that the client does not need to be so powerful, as most of the effort is done in the cloud, so this certainly refers to applications, not just files.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    My personal data will stay on MY personal computer and I will never use a server outside my house to store or work with it. Sorry.

And no, they want the Applications on a server also. They can keep it.

Specs:
    13 inch 2012 Air
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    just because its based off of xp doesnt make xp trash too. xp is a great operating system and a step forward.

sometimes operating systems just dont work out. look at windows me. I pity the fool with that on thier system. regardless how bad it was microsoft shoved it down peoples throat saying they will get used to it. it was never accepted. this is what is happening with vista. they are shoving it down peoples throat and folks / buisness dont want it. eventually it will die. just like windows me.

Thread Information