New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

IBM makes a good choice!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gamer

As I look at the pro-Apple websites I see them saying how IBM's sale of it's PC business is a good thing for Apple. These website tell us that buy selling there PC business to a Chinese company tell us that it was failing.

Fact: All this it crap, not true. IBM is making a good choice to sell now when the chinese market is new. IBM sees that if they sell of the business now they will earn a pretty penny on royalities from the name, and the fact ths new company will be able to have a home field advantage.

It is fun to think that Apple is king, but get real when it come to dollars and cents IBM has a real advantage. This new company will be able ot tell IBM what the consumers want since they will be located rite in China. I love Apple as much as the next person, but this could be a really good move for IBM. I hope that Apple wakes up and go for the chinese market before it becomes another PC dominated market!
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

What you are trying to tell Apple is incredibly unclear here
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I think he's trying to say that one view is that IBM sold their PC business as it wasn't doing well, whilst his view is that this is a shrewd business move on IBM's part.

He arguments that IBM will benefit from selling their PC business as the new chinese owner will be able to play the home market better. How that is supposed to benefit IBM I can't really see...
What I don't get really is what this has to do with Apple...

Apple will not profit from IBM's move out of the PC market, neither will it profit by the new owner grabbing a larger stake of the PC market in China:

Apple will not sell mac's to the majority of chinese, as they are too expensive to compete with cheaper generic wintel machines or the machines made by the new owner of IBM's PC division...

The only reason there is a connection with Apple, is because IBM might try to join forces with Apple, seeing as how they already supply the most important processor in Apple's lineup - the G5.
QUOTE Thanks
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
I think he's trying to say that one view is that IBM sold their PC business as it wasn't doing well, whilst his view is that this is a shrewd business move on IBM's part.

He arguments that IBM will benefit from selling their PC business as the new chinese owner will be able to play the home market better. How that is supposed to benefit IBM I can't really see...
What I don't get really is what this has to do with Apple...

Apple will not profit from IBM's move out of the PC market, neither will it profit by the new owner grabbing a larger stake of the PC market in China:

Apple will not sell mac's to the majority of chinese, as they are too expensive to compete with cheaper generic wintel machines or the machines made by the new owner of IBM's PC division...

The only reason there is a connection with Apple, is because IBM might try to join forces with Apple, seeing as how they already supply the most important processor in Apple's lineup - the G5.
Well this has everything to do with Apple. Apple has been competing with IBM since the early 80's and now that IBM is selling it's PC business. I really mean is if Apple wanta piece of the pie in China (the world fastest growing market) I just think should make some kind of a aquasition or other sort of business move over there.

All I really wanted to let people know that some of the pro-Apple news websites are not always right and in this case are bending the truth, by saying that IBM's PC business was failing. That is all.
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,3...9175984,00.htm
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I don't think Apple is too worried about growing in China given its rampant penchant for piracy and stealing of intellectual property. Being a combined hardware and OS company it wouldn't be a good move until China cleans up its act in that regard.

It would be hard for Apple to sell legitimate machines when so many gray and black market machines can be sold dirt cheap using illegal software. It's not worth it. Not to mention anyone in China that can actually afford to get a Mac will be able to do so anyway.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Acill

Acill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2

I just came from that area of the world and I couldnt agree more on the black marke issues they have. While in Brunei I actually saw huge shops in the local malls that sold bootleg software by the millions! I am talking department store size places with racks and racks of the latest stuff. Even Macintosh software. It wall all $10 Brunei dollars a disk too, and its 1.5B to 1US. Software sales in China will kill any company getting in there.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple: Blue Ray or HD DVD ? | performance comparison »