New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

iBook going G5 soon?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Maxp0wer2004

Will the iBook be getting a G5 soon? because i will be able to get a computer by the end of the year, and i want to have a laptop with a G5
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Not a chance. the PowerBook would be the first to be upgraded to G5 and Apple has already said they are having difficulties getting the G5 into a PowerBook. PB G5 won't be out until mid summer 2005 at the very earliest and the iBook won't be bumped up to G5 until probably half a year after that.

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Recently, Ive seen that the cooling of a g5 processor in an ibook or powerbook
is proving exceedingly difficult, and slowing closing the possibilities of a g5 laptop in the next year or so.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

haha....I'd say a G5 iBook is at least 2 years away. Powerbooks I think are still about a year.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
ChicoWeb

HAHA. Not any time soon.
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
Recently, Ive seen that the cooling of a g5 processor in an ibook or powerbook
is proving exceedingly difficult, and slowing closing the possibilities of a g5 laptop in the next year or so.
its not so much the cooling, as it is the power consumption. they lowered the bus on the iMac to solve the heat issue in a smaller enclosure with a smaller heat sync.

the problem in a laptop is the IBM chip isnt as efficient as the motorola was, meaning the G4 laptop that used to get 5+ hrs of battery life, would get about 1.5 - 2 hrs top.

QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Well, power consumption and heat are linked, more power consumption means more heat, and the other way around.
That's why I don't really think the G5 will be ready for laptops anytime soon.
Nevertheless, Freescale (ex-Motorola CPU division) is developing m dual core G4s, which don't use much more power than the actual ones, but running at the same frequency as the actual single core G4 still would be faster. ANd they are even pin-compatible with the actual G4, which means that, when they start producing them, Apple could put them in their PowerBooks (and later in iBooks) without modifying the actual mainboard design. I'm pretty sure that's the way they will go...
QUOTE Thanks
Mojo027

Mojo027 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9

Powerbook G5's will be out Q1 or Q2 2005 is my guess.

iBook G5's... probably sometime in 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

I just dont see how it will work. How will they make a longer lasting battery? I just dont get it. Then where would all the fans go. !!!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well battery technology is also improving, but I suspect that we will see different version of the G5: G5m or something similar that features the same basic design, but with concessions regarding power consumption and heat.
QUOTE Thanks
The mac 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb
haha....I'd say a G5 iBook is at least 2 years away. Powerbooks I think are still about a year.
i think that the g5 iBook wil b relased right after the g5 version of powerbook is released..
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mac 13
i think that the g5 iBook wil b relased right after the g5 version of powerbook is released..
Thats what schweb just said

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Orange

I also think that the g5 iBook will be released right after the g5 version of powerbook is released..
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Keep in mind, though: The PowerBook went from G3 to G4 in January 2001. The iBook went from G3 to G4 in October 2003..over two and a half years later.

I doubt we'll see any G5 iBooks for at least a year.
QUOTE Thanks
code777

when i was talking to the manager at the apple store about a new iBook G5 he just laughed and said, "there was just a recent upgrade in the iBooks and a nice price drop, you're already asking about a G5? Don't hold your breath, summer 2006 MAYBE"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« TIGER? Soon? | Apple taking its focus off of the computer industry? »