New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Apple MacBook And MacBook Pro to get redesigned..

Thread Closed

spookymulder

spookymulder is on a distinguished road

Appleinsider claims that the current MacBook and MacBook Pro designs will be retired and are expected to see "major design changes" in their next revision.

The consumer MacBook line is expected to transition from plastic enclosures to aluminum and stainless steel, which are reportedly more "eco-friendly".

The MacBook Pro will share a similar design transition to bring it in line with existing iMac and MacBook Air designs.
Though precise details are admittedly limited given the ongoing revision process, it's presumed this will include instances of matte black on portions of the casings, oversized trackpads, and the adoption of the MacBook Air's keyboard by the MacBook.

Appleinsider points out that the MacBook has not seen a major case redesign since its introduction in May 2006. Meanwhile, the MacBook Pro continues to share a very similar design to the Aluminum PowerBook G4 which was introduced in 2003.

The new designs are expected to accompany the Montevina platform launch in June of this year. Montevina promises faster front-side bus speeds (1066MHz) over existing models (800MHz) and slightly faster Penryn processors (2.26-3.06GHz).

 "Is there any way I can get this off my fingers quickly without betraying my cool exterior?" 
iApple

iApple will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.66ghz Core 2 duo iMac (20in), 320gb HDD, 4gb DDR3 1066mhz, iPhone 3g (8GB), Nano 4g (16GB)

Well since those are expected in Q3, looks like ill be getting the current gen macbook since i need it for college in august. I dont mind though, i think the black macbooks now look amazing.
spookymulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by iApple View Post
Well since those are expected in Q3, looks like ill be getting the current gen macbook since i need it for college in august. I dont mind though, i think the black macbooks now look amazing.
i think they do to the only thing that i am looking forward to is the backlit keyboard and posable multi gesture track pad like on the new MBA's

 "Is there any way I can get this off my fingers quickly without betraying my cool exterior?" 
ogacon

ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

Oh man... that is exactly what I DIDN'T want to hear... Now that there is the larger track pad possibility, slimmer design I might WANT to wait longer
But it's only 15 days away until I get my MBP! Ahhh. I really have been waiting for so long, but don't know if I can wait much longer. I really want it for the start of summer as I will be gone and need entertainment. And up to 3.0? That means the MBP probably 2.6 base, 2.8 main, and upgradable to 3.0? >_< darn this timing. Why in June?

EDIT: Do you think because this may be the last gen of these types, their resale will still be nice? And will these new ones be considered "Rev A" and have possibly many errors and bugs? If that generally happens, I'll be more happy and satisfied with this current gen knowing I'll have less problems.

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
Hope for Chaos

Hope for Chaos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15.4 Glossy 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM 200GB HDD @ 7200rpm

Where did it say Q3? I'm looking into having one by August for school as well but I could certainly wait. We have computer labs on campus so if need be I would definitely hold out but I didn't see where it mentioned a release. The only thing that slightly hinted towards timing was the processors that come out in June. Either way this is good news since the atleast the current models will drop in price.
ogacon

ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

Toward the bottom, on the picture chart thing, under "Future MacBook Pro" Ships: Q3 2008

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
rorz

rorz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 7.1 [24"], Dual.C@2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, HD2600 Pro, 320Gb HDD - 75/25 OS 10.5/Vista

Hmmmm... I was gonna buy an MBP around Christmas last year but went for a higher-spec iMac. I know, totally different, but I really do like my Apple Desktop. Anyway... This time around, I really do need to go for a laptop, It would be in December-ish, and most probably an MBP, an MB if not. I'm not really thinking about the next revision, but the one after. I do think it would be a better idea to get one on the second revision of a redesign also, because that way the specs would be tweaked a bit more, and any original flaws would be corrected. But, my main concern is if the next redesign doesn't come out before the start of August, then there's little possibility of getting a second revision before the end of the year. Then there's the classic Apple cliche; "do I wait a bit more for my apple product" or "buy one now and feel the pain later"... See what I mean?

To be honest, I'd also like some more info on the redesign itself too, but I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer, and even that will be based on rumors, until the day before. [Unless it comes out after the Q3 MacWorld]
spookymulder

they are also re-designing the mac mini.... they want to make it .....smaller

Sennec

Sennec will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorz View Post
Hmmmm... I was gonna buy an MBP around Christmas last year but went for a higher-spec iMac. I know, totally different, but I really do like my Apple Desktop. Anyway... This time around, I really do need to go for a laptop, It would be in December-ish, and most probably an MBP, an MB if not. I'm not really thinking about the next revision, but the one after. I do think it would be a better idea to get one on the second revision of a redesign also, because that way the specs would be tweaked a bit more, and any original flaws would be corrected. But, my main concern is if the next redesign doesn't come out before the start of August, then there's little possibility of getting a second revision before the end of the year. Then there's the classic Apple cliche; "do I wait a bit more for my apple product" or "buy one now and feel the pain later"... See what I mean?

To be honest, I'd also like some more info on the redesign itself too, but I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer, and even that will be based on rumors, until the day before. [Unless it comes out after the Q3 MacWorld]
You'll always "feel the pain", no matter what you buy.

Another stain on the sidewalk.
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I don't know. I feel no pain, I quite like my penryn MBP Including the backlit keyboard, which I originally thought to be quite 'gimmicky'

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
dehaitest

dehaitest is on a distinguished road

I only bought my white Macbook three weeks ago . Oh well you can't get everything in life.
Hope for Chaos

Hope for Chaos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15.4 Glossy 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM 200GB HDD @ 7200rpm

So when exactly is the third quarter? I'm not so much caught up in wanting the latest and greatest but I really don't want to spend more money than I have to on the current models. I'll need a computer eventually but I can definitely make due for a little while at the start of next semester if it meant saving a couple hundred bucks. But then again when would the current MBP's hit the refurbished scene? I can get an educational discount but even the "last gen" notebooks are more than that and the only real savings is refurbished. But the refurbs right now don't have enough hard drive space which is exactly why I'm looking at the newer MBP's.
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogacon View Post
Oh man... that is exactly what I DIDN'T want to hear... Now that there is the larger track pad possibility, slimmer design I might WANT to wait longer
But it's only 15 days away until I get my MBP! Ahhh. I really have been waiting for so long, but don't know if I can wait much longer. I really want it for the start of summer as I will be gone and need entertainment. And up to 3.0? That means the MBP probably 2.6 base, 2.8 main, and upgradable to 3.0? >_< darn this timing. Why in June?

EDIT: Do you think because this may be the last gen of these types, their resale will still be nice? And will these new ones be considered "Rev A" and have possibly many errors and bugs? If that generally happens, I'll be more happy and satisfied with this current gen knowing I'll have less problems.
If you can wait long enough for the revision, you probably don't need a new computer in the first place. Buy it, enjoy it, and most of all, don't regret it.

They revised the MacBooks three months after I bought mine. I was upset for about 30 seconds and then I realized that I have a completely capable machine that will do everything I need to do right now.

Yeah, I'm saving my pennies for a MacBook Pro, but does that mean I regret getting my MacBook? Not at all. It's still a great computer, and it still turns heads. Don't worry about constant upgrades. Get the computer you need now and enjoy it.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

A thinner aluminum black Macbook Pro would be very sweet! If they came out with that, I would go for an upgrade even if I didn't need it! I just hope they don't keep them the way they are and make the keyboard alone black. I don't care for that look at all.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookymulder View Post
they are also re-designing the mac mini.... they want to make it .....smaller
Hmm.... "The Mac Micro"....I should TM that...

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

Thread Closed

« Macbook Pro Updates? | Intel's Montevina Chipset delayed »