New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Rumors and Reports Discuss what's going on with Apple in this forum

Intel Quad Core Mobile Chips & Six Core Desktop Chips

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

PC World- 6 Core Intel Chips

PC World - Intel Quad Core Mobile Chips

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
ogacon

ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

waiiitttt... that second link... does that mean that the june update might possibly have quad core processors in the MBP's?

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice

The article said it's for desktop replacement laptops which are big, bulky, and heavy. I wouldn't see them in the MBP in the near future. Eventually, I would assume.

QUOTE Thanks
kmkl

kmkl is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
The article said it's for desktop replacement laptops which are big, bulky, and heavy. I wouldn't see them in the MBP in the near future. Eventually, I would assume.
wat do u mean by desktop replacement laptops? doesn't sound like apple... lol
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

I've seen an HP laptop with a 20" monitor. It's a laptop that wouldn't be something you'd want to lug around everyday.
It doesn't sound like a MBP now but I would suspect Apple would put one in there eventually when prices drop and battery life as well heat issues are resolved.

QUOTE Thanks
caloge

caloge can only hope to improve

I was under teh impression that 17" notebooks were considered desktop replacement territory. I guess that was a few years ago when 17inchers were a big deal
QUOTE Thanks
kmkl

kmkl is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
I've seen an HP laptop with a 20" monitor. It's a laptop that wouldn't be something you'd want to lug around everyday.
It doesn't sound like a MBP now but I would suspect Apple would put one in there eventually when prices drop and battery life as well heat issues are resolved.
Now i know what you mean, i saw a dell just like that, huge display, top loading cd/dvd/bluray (with purchase) drive. and fullsized keyboard.

now that was a beast, but sadly it was running vista, and it started from 2000ish bucks.

still was really cool

however i don see the need for apple to make one of those, although they could probably come up with a better concept to go with the "desktop replacement laptop"
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

Right now quad processors are too hot and use too much power for regular laptops. Once Intel can fix these issues, we'll probably see quad processors in current model Macs.

QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Maybe when all these issues are sorted we might see these quad core things in imacs too. As they use mostly laptop specs anyways.
QUOTE Thanks
ViriiGuy

ViriiGuy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd

Spec wise, the MBP IS a Desktop replacement. I have owned 5 DTR PC Laptops, the last one being a Dell 9400. This MBP I have now is more powerful than all of those, and only slightly more powerful than the 9400. So while the MBP may not weigh 17 pounds, yes it IS a DTR by definition.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« montevina? | Apple is set to attack the first ammendment »