New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - 2.6 worth it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

velocimac9

velocimac9 is on a distinguished road

I'm looking at getting a new MBP 15" (my first) and am wondering if the 2.6 GHz upgrade (from 2.4 GHz) is really worth the $680 price hike. I am looking for respectable performance speed but at this point don't have any really heavy applications to run, just a lot of general purpose use. I plan on getting the 7200 rpm drive speed option. Also, from what I hear, after market RAM is a good idea over Apple's pricey stuff. Does after market RAM void any warranty as an after market HDD does...or does it? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

It sounds like you don't need the extra .2GHz. I'm not familiar with the model, but maybe it also has a better graphics card, etc? (ie. you are getting more than the .2 GHz bump in processor speed). If not, ask yourself this: Do you need or just want the top of the line computer.
QUOTE Thanks
Ricky55

Ricky55 is on a distinguished road

No way worth it. You be better spending the money upgrading to the 7200 rpm hard drive or the 17 inch mbp as this now comes with a 2.5 ghz cpu. So you would have a bigger screen and slightly faster processor.

Small speed increases in the cpu won't make any noticable difference in performance.
QUOTE Thanks
Ricky55

Ricky55 is on a distinguished road

by the way, I bought a 2.4 ghz mac book pro in october and it always felt slightly sluggish compared with my 2.4ghz imac, i recently upgraded my hard disk to a 7200rpm model and its made all the difference.
QUOTE Thanks
EORI

EORI has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD

I've always found that when buying computers, the usual sweet spot (price-to-value) is not going to be with the top-of-the-line model. I too suggest going with a slightly slower processor, and spending money on RAM and the faster HD.

Happy to be back to a Mac
QUOTE Thanks
velocimac9

velocimac9 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the posts. You've helped. I think for my purposes the 2.4 with 200@7200rpm will be best. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
AJBehrens

AJBehrens is on a distinguished road

Changes in the cache size have a huge effect. You should at least get the 2.5Ghz model as it has twice the cache as the 2.4 model. I agree that there isn't much difference between the 2.5 and 2.6 models.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Fan noise and processor activity. | power loss during software update »