missyvortex
    can ibook 12" 500mhz battery be used in new 12" ibook 1ghz?
    Basically asking whats in title.
    My boyfriends ibook gave up on him (think it was display inverter, which is difficult to replace in the UK) and he's ordered a new ibook, with same screen size.

He's selling the rest of the parts of the ibook on ebay soon but wanted to keep the battery for his new ibook since batterys are so expensive, but just wondering if it will be compatible with his new ibook.
    I could see no reason why not since they are same size as far as we can tell and last same time, so thought they cant have changed the battery since the white ibooks came out, but it would be nice if someone can tell me this is definetely true.

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    The battery on the 500mhz is the 42 Wh Lithium ion (M8433G/A)
    The battery in the 1ghz is the 50 Wh Lithium ion battery.

I am pretty sure that they are not compatible with each other
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

missyvortex
    Thanks. Thats such a shame but atleast we know now.

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    I'd also guess that the capacity on the 500Mhz's battery is lower than the newer batteries, meaning he wouldn't get the full 4-6hours of battery life...

He should however open up his iBook and paint it with a cool design...that way he's bound to get quite a bit more for the case itself than just selling the standard parts!!!

Do a search on ibook g3 case mods, they aren't that hard to do apparently.

Clamshell62489
    doesnt painting the case bring down the price?

missyvortex
    Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich
    I'd also guess that the capacity on the 500Mhz's battery is lower than the newer batteries, meaning he wouldn't get the full 4-6hours of battery life...

He should however open up his iBook and paint it with a cool design...that way he's bound to get quite a bit more for the case itself than just selling the standard parts!!!

Do a search on ibook g3 case mods, they aren't that hard to do apparently.
    Actually he already did it - his own mod - with blue glass paint. It has streaked oceany look - not the best but unique and interesiting looking.

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Oh cool, well remember to put that in the eBay announcement!

'Cool Customised ocean iBook'

Re: clamshell - normally stuff on eBay goes for more if it's individual in some way... Someone once gave his BROKEN iPod a brushed metal look, and sold the parts individually on eBay - he actually got more for it than the price of a new one...

missyvortex
    So do you think using the old battery will be detrimental to his new ibook? or will it just not last as long?
    Because he's quite keen to still use it even if it doesn't last as long but I'm worried that it could cause a problem/void the warranty - is rather insane fear but if anyone knows scientifically what will happen when you use the lower wattage battery then i'd like to hear.

Thread Information