New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Delicate Situation

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacNoob

Hey folks -

I am a total noob when it comes to Macs. A few months ago, I bought a used iBook to use as my personal computer. It uses OSX and I've been learning my way around it. I've used it for surfing, Word docs, downloads, email, etc.

Here's my question:

I'd like to use it for my job, since all my bosses use Macs. My supervisor wants to take my iBook for a weekend and install some things necessary for my job, and since I'm a total novice with computers, it's a reasonable request. Problem is, he and I don't always get along so well, and mostly because he's the paranoid, back-stabbing type of employee. He's extremely proficient with Mac stuff, and I'm very conerned he'll spend a great deal of time snooping around for stuff to use against me in the future.

I don't have anything substantial to worry about, but like most, folks, I've downloaded some mpegs and browsed som websites I'd rather not have all my co-workers know about.

Everything's been cleared from my trash bin, and I only use Safari and have reset it. Can someone tell me how else to protect my privacy here?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Try this: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos.../shreditx.html . Or this: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...rscrubber.html

Both securely erase data. So use them when deleting files and you should be fine. Also make sure you've cleared Safari's cookies (preferences->security->show cookes->delete all cookies), cleared the history (history ->clear) and cleared the caches (Safari menu ->clear caches). That's pretty much all I can think of.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
Clamshell62489

i got another idea for him not to know what u have been doin recentley, dont give it to him! lol, ask him what are the programs he is going to be installing , and then install them urself. cmon, cant get any easier, its a mac
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamshell62489
i got another idea for him not to know what u have been doin recentley, dont give it to him! lol, ask him what are the programs he is going to be installing , and then install them urself. cmon, cant get any easier, its a mac
This would be my suggestion as well. I wouldn't give him my machine for the weekend, I'd just have him give me the applications and install them myself.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
MacNoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
This would be my suggestion as well. I wouldn't give him my machine for the weekend, I'd just have him give me the applications and install them myself.
I think you folks are right, and if I simply tell the guy I'd like to learn how to install software myself, he'll have to agree and help me out that way - you know, the old "give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach him to fish and..."

But are you folks also telling me that there's no easy way to make sure someone can't snoop into where I've surfed and what files I've downloaded, even if I clear/erase such histories?
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Quote:
Try this: http://www.apple.com/downloads/maco...s/shreditx.html . Or this: http://www.apple.com/downloads/maco...erscrubber.html

Both securely erase data. So use them when deleting files and you should be fine. Also make sure you've cleared Safari's cookies (preferences->security->show cookes->delete all cookies), cleared the history (history ->clear) and cleared the caches (Safari menu ->clear caches). That's pretty much all I can think of.

Good luck!
Second post.

Good lucK!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 12" powerbook g4 for web/graphic design? | Has being cheap cost me? »