New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

need oppinions on 17"PB

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MAC-simus

MAC-simus has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2GHz C2D macbook

HI!
I have the approtunity to get a powerbook for free (I em not the one whos paying, company is), and I cant deside between 15" and 17". if you configyre them the best way (and I plan to), the price difference is only 150$. now those of you who own 17" pb, how portable is it? is it convenient? I dont plan to walk around with it all day, but lets say home to work, work to home trips basically.
most of the time I work in photoshop, illustrator, indesign and MS office.
I love big screen, but portability issue holds me back.
so what you guys think?
QUOTE Thanks
taylaner

taylaner is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" PowerBook G4 1GB ram 1,33Ghz superdrive,

yes it is portable.....if you have a comfortable bag it is no problem..........
QUOTE Thanks
starrin

I actually went the other way -- I do a lot of walking from work, college campus, commuting -- in the end it was just too big -- I got the 15-inch and love it. I frequent the Apple store quite often and I look at the 17 - all I can say is that the thing is huge - in my mind it all came down to the idea that it needs to be a portable computer first.
QUOTE Thanks
MickMAC

I have the 17 and I use it everyday, I take it to work everday and home everynight, I bought a nice bag that holds everything I need. If you don't have to walk 3 miles with it everyday you should get the 17. It is the closest thing to having a desktop unit with you all the time. I actually sold my g4 tower when I bought the laptop because I just didn't use it any more.

If you not a student and don't spend all of your time in the airport then I think the 17 inch is the best option for any designer.
QUOTE Thanks
damgpro

I've got a 17" powerbook and go to school in nyc, I commute on the subway everyday and take the powerbook with me everywhere. Its not bad at all.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Most of the people that I know with a 17" says it's just too big, in a car, on an airplane, pretty much anywhere that you have seats next to each other, even if you don't, it's just too big. And after trying my friends out for awhile, I completely agreed.. I loved the screen, but it was just too big for me to take it seriously. When I travelled, my 15" was perfect. And now even when I am in the car, my 15" can be a bit big, or even the airplane, but compared to the 17" it's perfect
QUOTE Thanks
MickMAC

But if your a designer and screen space is an issue. ie your used to a 22 inch monitor for photshop/illustrator pallets then you will love the size and deal with the tradeoffs...
QUOTE Thanks
KR1S

The 17" is a great computer, I carry it around with my sometimes on photoshoots and it's pretty portable. Gotta love the extra resolution too.
QUOTE Thanks
firsteggprez

firsteggprez is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook

I have the 17" and it is perfect. I love it for school! It is great for final cut pro , photo shop and much more. It is so great when you are workin on it and a bunch of people are given it looks.

-Chapman Film School: Class of 2012-
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PB Fell off of bed! :( | WTF is up with "Reserve battery" »