New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Black stains on white MacBook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

monkfishbandana

monkfishbandana is on a distinguished road

I have searched everywhere for people with the same problem as me, to no avail. My MacBook (after 2 months of ownership) has begun to display black streaks on the casing (bottom more so than the top). I have posted at the Apple Support Discussions, but the people who do share the problem don't seem to know what is causing it.

The only thing I can think of is the black Ted Baker laptop case that I store it in. I take extra care, though, in making sure that the laptop has cooled before it goes into the bag.

Here are the pictures that user Dhiru Bhojwani posted:

These pictures show the exact problem that I am having too, and the marks look exactly the same. I will try to post pictures of the bottom of my MacBook tomorrow, as it is late here now, but I would appreciate any help at all on this issue.

Thanks.

Lewis.
QUOTE Thanks
dairyman

dairyman is on a distinguished road

the only thing i can think of is trying to get it off with a product called "goof off" but it doesnt look like that kind of stain but it is worth a try
QUOTE Thanks
Blade753

Blade753 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iBook G3, 500MHz, CD-ROM, 12"

Wow those look almost like burn marks, But try the goof off or rubbing alcohol
QUOTE Thanks
monkfishbandana

I had never though of burn marks before, but the marks do appear to be underneath the surface of the plastic. I have tried water to get it off but if they are surface marks then they are incredibly stubborn.

Goof Off looks like it might work, but does anyone know if I can import it into
the UK?
QUOTE Thanks
Blade753

Blade753 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iBook G3, 500MHz, CD-ROM, 12"

Go to your local hardware store, they should have it or something similar to it, try nail polish remover.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_OS

Mac_OS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade753 View Post
Go to your local hardware store, they should have it or something similar to it, try nail polish remover.
was just going to suggest that
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkfishbandana View Post
I have searched everywhere for people with the same problem as me, to no avail. My MacBook (after 2 months of ownership) has begun to display black streaks on the casing (bottom more so than the top). I have posted at the Apple Support Discussions, but the people who do share the problem don't seem to know what is causing it.

The only thing I can think of is the black Ted Baker laptop case that I store it in. I take extra care, though, in making sure that the laptop has cooled before it goes into the bag.

Here are the pictures that user Dhiru Bhojwani posted:

These pictures show the exact problem that I am having too, and the marks look exactly the same. I will try to post pictures of the bottom of my MacBook tomorrow, as it is late here now, but I would appreciate any help at all on this issue.

Thanks.

Lewis.
I had this exact same problem with my Tucano Sleeve, the best thing I found to take it off was toothpaste just make sure its not really gritty and use a soft cloth and rub where the marks are.
QUOTE Thanks
objekt

objekt is on a distinguished road

Hello monkfishbandana,

I know - it hurts if you had such an expense and then it looks like that.
I myself had ordered a white MacBook three weeks ago. Then my seller told me that the older MacBooks are not deliverable any longer. After finding information in the i-net about discoloration on white MacBooks I changed my order into MacBookPro (because I wanted to get a bright one and not a black - which does not fit to a Mac, I think)
But, nevertheless, I think your "mutation" is like a kind of individualization. At the end it looks cool and it is really something special. I would not change it. Nobody will have the same design.

objekt
QUOTE Thanks
monkfishbandana

Quote:
Originally Posted by objekt View Post

I think your "mutation" is like a kind of individualization. At the end it looks cool and it is really something special. I would not change it. Nobody will have the same design.

objekt
What? You'd make sense if the design looked like an equalizer or something, but these are black streaks! I paid a lot of money for this laptop, and if I ordered it in white - it better stay white!
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

Putting it in a case that transposes its black pigment isnt a good way to get it to stay white
QUOTE Thanks
Bobioden

Bobioden is on a distinguished road

Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser found in most grocery stores
QUOTE Thanks
objekt

objekt is on a distinguished road

Of course you are right, monkfishbandana.
Have you contact your supplier or apple service directly?
They should take this MacBook back.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PowerBook Duo 280c Need Assistance!! | MBP Keyboard UK version - any good? »