Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Water damage

  1. #1


    Member Since
    Feb 28, 2008
    Posts
    2
    Unhappy Water damage
    Hi,
    Here is the situation, a little bit of water was spilled on my laptop.
    It did stay on for 5 minutes but once i picked it it up it shut off i took a towel and got the water off i could see, I turned it back on and it shut down immediately. So I went upstairs and took a hair blower and carefully blew on it for 3 minutes (cold air), I turned it upside down over night. (the battery is out of the lap top). I then took a fan at low setting and made it blow on it for a few hours. I tried to start it back up and it worked I played around for 5 minutes went on the internet with it and decided to shut it back off and keep it the fan on it upside down.

    Question, the fact that it turned on and seemed to work fine, is it a good sign? or I'm just getting my hopes up for nothing.

    PS: the water seemed to have spilled in between the lcd bracket, a bit on the edge of the keyboard and the edge of one speaker (left).

  2. #2

    Waterpolo820's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2008
    Location
    the OC, SoCal
    Posts
    536
    Specs:
    2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
    What I would do is keep it another over nighter with the fan on it. Just to be safe. then tomorrow power back on and play some music(to see if the speaker works), and fiddle with the keys that got water on them, make sure that the backlight works etc. You might have just gotten lucky and nothing happened.

    Did the water that got on the screen go in between the screen, so there was water in the bottom of the screen, that you couldn't wipe it off?

    Welcome to the Forums.

  3. #3

    Ijerry's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 28, 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    26
    Specs:
    2.4Ghz Macbook Pro 200 Gig HD 2g Ram, Thinkpad X200: 2.4 GHz 160 GB HD and 3GB of RAM, 500 GB TimeCa
    What happened with your computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by konnek View Post
    Hi,
    Here is the situation, a little bit of water was spilled on my laptop.
    It did stay on for 5 minutes but once i picked it it up it shut off i took a towel and got the water off i could see, I turned it back on and it shut down immediately. So I went upstairs and took a hair blower and carefully blew on it for 3 minutes (cold air), I turned it upside down over night. (the battery is out of the lap top). I then took a fan at low setting and made it blow on it for a few hours. I tried to start it back up and it worked I played around for 5 minutes went on the internet with it and decided to shut it back off and keep it the fan on it upside down.

    Question, the fact that it turned on and seemed to work fine, is it a good sign? or I'm just getting my hopes up for nothing.

    PS: the water seemed to have spilled in between the lcd bracket, a bit on the edge of the keyboard and the edge of one speaker (left).

  4. #4

    KeatMP's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 10, 2008
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    66
    Specs:
    MBP 2.2GHz 2GB RAM 120 GB HD 15" NVidia 8800MGT 128MB - iPhone 3G
    Sometimes you can get lucky mixing electronics and water. I once had my
    cell phone go through the washing machine, pulled it out, let it dry out, turned it on and it worked perfectly.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    May 31, 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    538
    Specs:
    C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
    Quote Originally Posted by konnek View Post
    Hi,
    Here is the situation, a little bit of water was spilled on my laptop.
    It did stay on for 5 minutes but once i picked it it up it shut off i took a towel and got the water off i could see, I turned it back on and it shut down immediately. So I went upstairs and took a hair blower and carefully blew on it for 3 minutes (cold air), I turned it upside down over night. (the battery is out of the lap top). I then took a fan at low setting and made it blow on it for a few hours. I tried to start it back up and it worked I played around for 5 minutes went on the internet with it and decided to shut it back off and keep it the fan on it upside down.

    Question, the fact that it turned on and seemed to work fine, is it a good sign? or I'm just getting my hopes up for nothing.

    PS: the water seemed to have spilled in between the lcd bracket, a bit on the edge of the keyboard and the edge of one speaker (left).
    Im a avid believer in the best protection that i can purchase for my electronics.
    Go here:
    www.safeware.com
    ask to speak with a lady by the name of :Lynn
    800-800-1492 9am to 7pm EST Monday - Friday.
    The reason why i am suggesting this company is because they cover everything!
    Accidental damage
    theft
    fire
    power surges
    Natural Disasters including earthquake and flood
    Vandalism
    The apple care protection plan covers none of these correct?Yes correct.I have those as well , but for the water spilling on a laptop keyboard,i would suggest protection!
    I paid a one time payment for each mac book air(total of 3) 320.00 for the entire year.That is $100.00 for each laptop
    For my desktop set up (which cost me 2,800)
    I paid 52.00 for the year
    Now...There is no deductible that i will have to pay if i call and say that my newborn son took a hammer to my imac and one of the mac book airs.they will just replace them.
    Sorry just thought i would pass the information allong!

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Feb 28, 2008
    Posts
    2
    the screen seemed like it did not get hit. Do you think I should wait longer like 7 days or something like that.

    Let me know
    Thanks

  7. #7

    Waterpolo820's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2008
    Location
    the OC, SoCal
    Posts
    536
    Specs:
    2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
    a week seems to me to be a bit of an overkill, by now all the water has either damaged something or everything is ok.

  8. #8

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    49,102
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by ibookmobile007 View Post
    Im a avid believer in the best protection that i can purchase for my electronics.
    Go here:
    www.safeware.com
    ask to speak with a lady by the name of :Lynn
    800-800-1492 9am to 7pm EST Monday - Friday.
    The reason why i am suggesting this company is because they cover everything!
    Accidental damage
    theft
    fire
    power surges
    Natural Disasters including earthquake and flood
    Vandalism
    The apple care protection plan covers none of these correct?Yes correct.I have those as well , but for the water spilling on a laptop keyboard,i would suggest protection!
    I paid a one time payment for each mac book air(total of 3) 320.00 for the entire year.That is $100.00 for each laptop
    For my desktop set up (which cost me 2,800)
    I paid 52.00 for the year
    Now...There is no deductible that i will have to pay if i call and say that my newborn son took a hammer to my imac and one of the mac book airs.they will just replace them.
    Sorry just thought i would pass the information allong!
    Hi:

    Thanks for the great tip! Just went to their website and read up on their policies and FAQ. Looks like the way to go for any college student worrying about the theft of his\her machine. Also a great idea for anyone who owns computers especially laptops. I'm definitely going to buy a policy. Thanks again.

    Regards.

  9. #9

    MacadamianDevil's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 09, 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Unhappy me too!
    Same thing happened to my macbook pro. spilled water on it a lot of water 16 fl oz. Next day after having a 2 fans blow on the motherboard for the night at full speed, it works just fine. battery is shot to **** along with the speakers but everything else is in proper working order. I would suggest trying to dry out your machine amap. Then if your considering turning it on to test it go for it. I do have a question to ask though. My fan speeds seem to be running at abnormally high speeds. I downloaded the fan control program for mac but that didn't correct the problem. Could some one suggest something? greatly appreciated.

  10. #10

    soulreaver99's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 15, 2004
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by ibookmobile007 View Post
    Im a avid believer in the best protection that i can purchase for my electronics.
    Go here:
    Laptop, Desktop, Tablet PC and PDA/Smartphone insurance from Safeware Insurance Agency, Inc.
    ask to speak with a lady by the name of :Lynn
    800-800-1492 9am to 7pm EST Monday - Friday.
    The reason why i am suggesting this company is because they cover everything!
    Accidental damage
    theft
    fire
    power surges
    Natural Disasters including earthquake and flood
    Vandalism
    The apple care protection plan covers none of these correct?Yes correct.I have those as well , but for the water spilling on a laptop keyboard,i would suggest protection!
    I paid a one time payment for each mac book air(total of 3) 320.00 for the entire year.That is $100.00 for each laptop
    For my desktop set up (which cost me 2,800)
    I paid 52.00 for the year
    Now...There is no deductible that i will have to pay if i call and say that my newborn son took a hammer to my imac and one of the mac book airs.they will just replace them.
    Sorry just thought i would pass the information allong!
    Whoa! That's an awesome program! I am sold for one!

  11. #11

    osxx's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 19, 2008
    Location
    houston texas
    Posts
    4,695
    Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    Quote Originally Posted by MacadamianDevil View Post
    Same thing happened to my macbook pro. spilled water on it a lot of water 16 fl oz. Next day after having a 2 fans blow on the motherboard for the night at full speed, it works just fine. battery is shot to **** along with the speakers but everything else is in proper working order. I would suggest trying to dry out your machine amap. Then if your considering turning it on to test it go for it. I do have a question to ask though. My fan speeds seem to be running at abnormally high speeds. I downloaded the fan control program for mac but that didn't correct the problem. Could some one suggest something? greatly appreciated.
    Sounds like the thermal sensor could be bad or the cpu could be running very
    hot a very handy item to download in widgets is i-sat pro it will show all the
    temps and fan speed takes the guess work out of the equation.

  12. #12

    MacadamianDevil's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 09, 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    I believe the thermal sensors are out of wack. It says my computer is really warm when it isnt. to have this fixed should I have someone look at it or is it a problem I could fix myself. I have downloaded programs that supposedly control fan speeds but the apple programming overrides the software I got so the fans run at high speeds anyways. help would be greatly appreciated. once again.

  13. #13

    MacJuen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 14, 2008
    Posts
    60
    Wow. I hope your MBP is ok. Any update?
    2013 15" MBP - 2.6ghz QC i7 - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD
    2002 G4 Tower - Dual 450s - 1GB RAM - 270GB HD

  14. #14

    Khris's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 13, 2008
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    506
    Specs:
    Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterpolo820 View Post
    a week seems to me to be a bit of an overkill, by now all the water has either damaged something or everything is ok.
    You've never dealt with wet electronics have you? A week is MINIMUM for me when dealing with devices that have gone for a swim.

    Too many times, people get in a hurry and turn their device back on before it's completely dry, and end up causing damage.

    I posted in another thread that I saved a laptop from a full cup of coffee spilled on the keyboard by taking it apart, washing with water, and drying in a warm location. From start to finish it was about a week......and going on 2 years later, the laptop is still doing fine.

  15. #15


    Member Since
    Mar 19, 2008
    Location
    in a tiny little town..
    Posts
    552
    Specs:
    2.0 uni
    Leave it off for a week or two chances are better .

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Water damage?
    By DocW in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-31-2013, 07:45 PM
  2. Water Damage Help
    By bmdavis in forum iPhone Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-03-2008, 08:00 AM
  3. Water damage-- Macbook works, LCD still has water
    By lmn089 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-02-2007, 01:56 PM
  4. Water damage - what am I in for?
    By sectorz in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-12-2007, 06:02 PM
  5. water damage
    By photojunkie in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-05-2007, 05:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •