New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - What is the largest HDD I put in my MacBook Pro 15"?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ruf993turbo

ruf993turbo is on a distinguished road

I need a lot of storage for my MacBook Pro 2.16ghz 15". It currently has the 160gb HDD, but I need at least 250gb (I only have 20gb left). The reason being, I convert my whole CD collection and some of my favorite DVD's over to the laptop and it is part of my home theater system (seperate components; ie. Classe, Krell, Wilson, B&W).

So I was wondering if the Western Digital 320gb Scorpio would work if I just swap it out of my current drive? Also, what type of HDD does the MBP use? From what I've read, it seems like it's SATA, but will SATA2 also work? I might also consider going with a smaller (around 250gb) HDD that runs at 7200RPM and then adding an 1TB external HDD using firewire.

And also, do you guys know any software out there that I can just duplicate my current drive over to the new drive so I don't have to repload leopard and all my softwares? I know there are some, but if I can get your inputs about the best ones out there to use, I'd appreciate it. Thank you in advance for any help you guys can provide!
QUOTE Thanks
wytwolf

wytwolf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD

From what i've read the Macbook and macbook pro's all use sata drives. The largest 2.5 inch sata drive is the 250GB. I've heard that they are not compatible with SATA-II drives.

For copying your drive most ppl use super duper or carbon copy cloner. Both are free and both produce a bootable 1 to 1 backup. Right now it seems like your only option is the 250GB and 1TB external.
QUOTE Thanks
dalison

dalison has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD

There is a 320GB disk from WD that will work in your MBP - at least, it fit in my MacBook. Here's how I did it, including using Carbon Copy Cloner.

--David
My blog about my move from Windows to Mac: www.davidalison.com
QUOTE Thanks
wytwolf

wytwolf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD

Cool, good to know. I was told the SATA-II drives (aka SATA 300 drives) would not work with macbooks and macbook pro's.
QUOTE Thanks
KamileonX

KamileonX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Gloss, 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 160 GB @ 7200 HDD, 256 MB 8600M GT

Hmmm.... if I recall correctly, the 320 GB drive lacks the sudden motion sensor that the stock drives come from.

Although it is a minor feature, it may save your hard drive (and hence your data) should you drop your Mac.

I suggest you replace your drive with something that has the sudden motion sensor.

KamileonX (Lawrence)
MacBook Pro 15" (Glossy) Custom
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB OCZ DDR2 667 MHz RAM, 160 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, 256 MB GeForce 8600M GT Graphics, Mac OS X Leopard v10.5.2
QUOTE Thanks
HawkPilot

HawkPilot is on a distinguished road

After some searching this is what I found:

On ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HITACHI-5K500-...QQcmdZViewItem

After messaging him he provided a link to this write-up:
http://www.digitalreaction.co.uk/ins...-pro-599-c.asp

I have asked him what his "best price" will be and if he will do a group buy rate. I will post back when he responds.
A."I only have 1 x 500 left, I think you could offer me £210 and I would accept, but they are really hard to get – actually nearly impossible.

I do have 9 of the 400gb ones though, I am asking for £160 each for the 400gb drives, & £220 for the 500gb drive I have left which comes to a total of £1660 + £82 P&P. I would accept an offer for £1600 for all of the 10 drives including postage, which would give you nearly 10% reduction in price."

It should also be noted this is not the only 500 GB/12.5mm drive on the market.

-micah
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamileonX View Post
Hmmm.... if I recall correctly, the 320 GB drive lacks the sudden motion sensor that the stock drives come from.

Although it is a minor feature, it may save your hard drive (and hence your data) should you drop your Mac.

I suggest you replace your drive with something that has the sudden motion sensor.
The sudden motion sensor is built into the Macbook not the HDD.
QUOTE Thanks
rsmithgi

rsmithgi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf993turbo View Post
I need a lot of storage for my MacBook Pro 2.16ghz 15". It currently has the 160gb HDD, but I need at least 250gb (I only have 20gb left). The reason being, I convert my whole CD collection and some of my favorite DVD's over to the laptop and it is part of my home theater system (seperate components; ie. Classe, Krell, Wilson, B&W).

So I was wondering if the Western Digital 320gb Scorpio would work if I just swap it out of my current drive? Also, what type of HDD does the MBP use? From what I've read, it seems like it's SATA, but will SATA2 also work? I might also consider going with a smaller (around 250gb) HDD that runs at 7200RPM and then adding an 1TB external HDD using firewire.

And also, do you guys know any software out there that I can just duplicate my current drive over to the new drive so I don't have to repload leopard and all my softwares? I know there are some, but if I can get your inputs about the best ones out there to use, I'd appreciate it. Thank you in advance for any help you guys can provide!
Why don't you use an external drive?
QUOTE Thanks
ruf993turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmithgi View Post
Why don't you use an external drive?
I have (3) 1TB external drives among other externals that adds up to be another ~4TB (including my 2 HTPCs at 1TB each). I'm a big audio/videophile and so I transfer in and out music and movies/videos a lot because my HD on my Mac is so small and I use this MBP purely for personal purpose when I travel for both business/travel. Someone on another forum advised me to get the WD Passport external drive and just take the drive out of it to use since it would be much cheaper than purchasing an internal drive itself which is a very good idea. I'll go out and purchase a WD Passport tomorrow (found them locally for $135) and I'll probably end up upgrading to the 500GB Samsung in a couple of months. The Samsung is supposed to be released to retailers at the end of this month or beginning of April, but I won't need all of that right now and I'm sure the price will drop (from $299). Then I'll just put the Passport back together to use as an external drive.

As for the other 500GB HDD comments. From what I understand, 12.5mm is too big and we need the 9.5mm. Samsung is the only one that I am aware of that has one and it spins at 5400rpm. The Fujitsu and Hitachi are both 12.5mm and spints at 4200rpm (Fujitsu) and 5400rpm (Hitachi).

I do have a question for you guys. Do you guys know what I need to do to format the external drive and clear it before I clone it? Or should I just leave it as it is and clone it since it's already an external drive? I'm just wondering how much memory is already taken up when WD setup the Passport to be an external drive. It shouldn't be much...
QUOTE Thanks
dalison

dalison has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD

If this drive will only be used by Macs then you should use Disk Utility to repartition the drive to use aMac OS Extended (Journaled) partition. It's quick and ensures you have a clean drive.

--David
My blog about my move from Windows to Mac: www.davidalison.com
QUOTE Thanks
wezman2k

wezman2k is an unknown at this point

umm...time machine?
QUOTE Thanks
ruf993turbo

OK, it's done. Did it with out a hitch. Took me about 30min from start to finish to open up the laptop and take off the keyboard (since it's a MacBook Pro and not regular Macbook), so I basically had to take the computer apart. Good thing though, I got the WD Passport 320GB for $97.xx w/ tax (they rang it up for $99 and I also used my 10% AAA membership card). Here's a screenshot:

http://mc2telecom.com/misc/320gbupgrade.jpg

I took photos of the inside of the laptop as well when I opened it up. I will post those up later. Thanks for all your help guys!
QUOTE Thanks
script

script is on a distinguished road

Where did you get the hardrive for that price at?
QUOTE Thanks
ruf993turbo

I got it at circuit city. I brought the ad from bestbuy to pricematch it at 150 since their's was ~170. When she rang it up she said it was $99, I think there was an error in the system.
QUOTE Thanks
script

script is on a distinguished road

lol, you lucky SOB!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need MBP CoreDuo Ram Limit Explanation. | disc drive error »