New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Problem with hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slee

slee is on a distinguished road

Hi... I don't know if this is the right part of the forum to post...

I recently had problems with my Macbook - It froze then did the blinking folder with question mark thing... I read up on it and spoke to my friend who used to work for an Apple Centre for help...:

I checked the Disk Utilities (? I think that's what it's called - I'm no good at computers...) and initially it could find the Hard Drive... and then he told me to eject the disc and then it started to work again...

I attempted to back up the most important things onto a flash drive (all I could find in my house!) and didn't have the space to back up photos and music and videos... Then it broke again... (for lack of better words...)

So today I bought a Seagate Freeagent 500MB from Officeworks for $179 (I think that is a good price and my friend said I can clone my hard drive using disk utilities. Problem is, now my Macbook can't locate the hard drive...

Is there a way I can back it up or have the hard drive show up? I read about putting the corrupted hard drive into a ziplock bag and putting it into the freezer for 24 hours to give me 20 min of working time to back things up... (http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/200...over-data.html)

The thing that annoys me the most is I decided about 3 days ago to get my friend to back everything up - all I needed to do is get back home (I was on holiday) and buy an external hard drive... I hope it's not too late!!

HELP!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Have you opened Disk Utility after plugging in the external drive to see if it shows up in there? If so, it's probably not showing up on your desktop because you need to format it.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
slee

slee is on a distinguished road

i tried that - it could recognise the external hard drive...
it recognised the internal hard drive yesterday after the first problem... then an hour later it couldn't find it at all.

i just want to retrieve some stuff before sending it off to get a service.

is there any way of getting it to show up at all??/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help please....do you guys think that Apple is gonna fix it | Superdrive »