New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - New owner, things to keep new MacBook looking new.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

I had a white MacBook before and bought shieldzone for it as the plastic was easy to scratch and stain. Just wondering things I should watch out for with my MacBook Pro. How does the metal hold up to daily use? does the paint on the track pad or trackpad button wear off over time? I assume they would wear similar to the powerbooks ?
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

The metal holds up fairly well, but watch out for little dents and dings that can form in the casing. My neighbor has a MBP, and he has dents in all eight corners, along with a bent optical drive slot.

As long as you aren't dropping the MBP (or a 20 pound handweight on the MBP in the case of the bent optical drive), it will hold up well for quite some time.

He hasn't had any paint wear either, and he's had it for about a year and a half, so, at least for that long, it should stay shiny and nice.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

I put my macbook pro in a clear plastic skin to protect it from scratches and dents. Bought it at the apple store. Many colors if you dont like clear.

http://www.speckproducts.com/product...macbook-pro/25

QUOTE Thanks
KB3GZW

KB3GZW is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonegod View Post
I put my macbook pro in a clear plastic skin to protect it from scratches and dents. Bought it at the apple store. Many colors if you dont like clear.

I have one of these for my MB and after about 6 months of having it on you can see all of the scratches that would have been on my MB. But thanks to the case they are not.

I Love Free Software.
Ext. Storage: 500GB MyBook Pro, 1TB MyBook Studio
iPod: 120 GB Classic - Phone : Treo 800w
TWITTER Follow Me
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonegod View Post

Are MBP that easy to scratch? I am very careful with my laptops never had a single problem with my MB being scratched in 1.5 years.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I have had my MBP for about two weeks now, so perhaps this isn't all that relevant, but I am having no issues with dents, scrapes, etc. I think the key here is simply treating the machine well... just like any computer! If you abuse it, it will show up eventually, but if you treat it well, it will continue to look well.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
I have had my MBP for about two weeks now, so perhaps this isn't all that relevant, but I am having no issues with dents, scrapes, etc. I think the key here is simply treating the machine well... just like any computer! If you abuse it, it will show up eventually, but if you treat it well, it will continue to look well.
yeat that's always been my thoughts, after all I do repair computers as my day job so I know how to treat them so they last long. Just because its a laptop doesn't mean you can just throw it around and it wont break unless its a MBA with a SDD
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Getting impatient waiting for my new computer back | RAM question »